Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] AZ: BCN - LAX £456 in J....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: kevinflyaway
Code:
Please post you departure dates and routes below:

March
 MARCH 07 BCN - FCO - LAX Madeiraportugal
 MARCH 11 PacificTwo
 MARCH 11 BCN-FCO-JFK UAPremierGuy
 MARCH 14 LAX - CDG - FCO - BCN Madeiraportugal
 MARCH 19 BCN-FCO-CDG GlennHaak
 MARCH 19 MAD-FCO-JFK beyounged
 MARCH 20 CDG-LAX GlennHaak
 MARCH 25 BCN-FCO-JFK JonEJacobs
 MARCH 25 JFK-FCO-MAD beyounged
 MARCH 28 LAX-FCO-BCN GlennHaak

April
 APRIL 01 BCN-FCO-LAX - idiosyncrasy
 APRIL 04 BCN - FCO - CDG (+1) - LAX Mister Miles
 APRIL 05 JFK-FCO-BCN JonEJacobs
 APRIL 08 BCN - FCO - LAX - honzeek_cz
 APRIL 08 FCO-CDG JNLentertainment
 APRIL 09 CDG-LAX - JNLentertainment
 APRIL 09 LAX - JFK - FCO - BCN Mister Miles
 APRIL 23 LAX-CDG honzeek_cz
 APRIL 24 CDG-FCO-BCN honzeek_cz
 APRIL 25 MAD-LIN honzeek_cz
 APRIL 25 LAX-CDG-FCO-BCN idiosyncrasy
 APRIL 26 LIN-CDG-LAX honzeek_cz
 APRIL 29 LAX-FCO honzeek_cz
 APRIL 30 FCO-MAD honzeek_cz
 APRIL 30 MAD-FCO Maayan

May
 MAY 01 FCO-LAX Maayan
 MAY 01 BCN-FCO-JFK ramalair
 MAY 02 BCN-FCO-JFK e30st
 MAY 02 BCN-FCO / MAY 03 FCO-LAX Travel-Quinten
 MAY 02 BCN-FCO-LAX Wildwater
 MAY 02 BCN-FCO / MAY 03 FCO-LAX bmibaby737
 MAY 06 JFK-FCO-BCN (+1) e30st
 MAY 06 LAX-FCO-BCN (+1) Travel-Quinten
 MAY 06 LAX-FCO-BCN Wildwater
 MAY 06 LAX-JFK-FCO / MAY 07 FCO-BCN bmibaby737
 MAY 08 LAX-FCO-MAD Maayan
 MAY 09 JFK-FCO-BCN ramalair
 MAY 09 LAX- FCO JNLentertainment
 MAY 09 FCO-BCN JNLentertainment

September

October

November
 Nov 7 BCN - FCO - JFK ExpatSomchai
 Nov 11 JFK - FCO - BCN (+1) ExpatSomchai
Print Wikipost

[PREM FARE GONE] AZ: BCN - LAX £456 in J....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:44 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
We’ve booked this ticket for April and as of now it is still showing as intact on both Air France (for CDG-LAX) and Alitalia websites (for LAX-FCO) for all sectors. At what point do you think it would be safe to start making plans based around this flight? Eg positioning flights, lax hotels etc. Never booked a mistake fare before so please take it easy if I’ve missed something obvious. Grateful for all insight.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:14 am
Used to be guidogh

Programs: FB Ultimate, Hertz Platinum, Star Aliiance Gold
I think since we already passed the 72hr stage, things are looking hopefull. However I would wait at least untill the end of this working week. I would say that the most safe way would be to wait 2 weeks, but if nothing has happened on Friday things are looking very promising. No guarantees though.

If other people have a different view on this let me know, I am very curious about what is going to happen also.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:22 am

Programs: A3*, HH, club carlson: all gold and bonvoy plat
Originally Posted by CX828
We’ve booked this ticket for April and as of now it is still showing as intact on both Air France (for CDG-LAX) and Alitalia websites (for LAX-FCO) for all sectors. At what point do you think it would be safe to start making plans based around this flight? Eg positioning flights, lax hotels etc. Never booked a m...... fare before so please take it easy if I’ve missed something obvious. Grateful for all insight.
You meant a special discounted fare I guess . The less we use the m word, the better it is.
About positioning flights. The general rule is to wait at least a couple of weeks, even 1-2 months if possible. Tough, sometimes (depending on which FF program you're on and/or you've status with) you may already book an award ticket. 2 points to consider: it is worth the mileage price and how high are cancelation fees? The good point on this is that you've secured your flights with a cancelable option, but unfortunately it has often not the best value !

Last edited by Artemio; Jan 8, 2019 at 2:29 am Reason: .
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:48 am

I’m not sure there’s a hard and fast rule on a ‘safe’ time. I had an etihad mistake fare from Moscow to Bangkok cancelled a month after purchase. But I guess they knew nothing could be done - what is someone in the uk going to do about a mistake fare originating in Russia and ending in Thailand?

I think one factor would be the country of departure and the destination and the legislation governing there.

Whilst we all know airlines can decide not to honour these ‘flash sales’ the USA DOT has several further rules in place. Although an airline can cancel the ticket it must also reimburse for any out of pocket expenses. Such as accommodation, car hire, tours already booked. So it’s obviously in the airlines interest to cancel them ASAP (and may be a factor in why we saw many USA originating mistake fares - HK Airlines, Cathay, Air NZ - being honoured). I guess the sticking point would be whether the DOT has any sway on a flight departing Europe but with a destination/return embarkation point in the USA.

i don’t think Alitalia will be making a decision based on morals or ‘the right thing to do’. I’d imagine the first thing they’d do is ask their legal department to look into the possible repercussions and then decide.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:57 am

Programs: GOLD: AZ....maybe :-P
Originally Posted by bananahead
I’m not sure there’s a hard and fast rule on a ‘safe’ time. I had an etihad mistake fare from Moscow to Bangkok cancelled a month after purchase. But I guess they knew nothing could be done - what is someone in the uk going to do about a mistake fare originating in Russia and ending in Thailand?

I think one factor would be the country of departure and the destination and the legislation governing there.

Whilst we all know airlines can decide not to honour these ‘flash sales’ the USA DOT has several further rules in place. Although an airline can cancel the ticket it must also reimburse for any out of pocket expenses. Such as accommodation, car hire, tours already booked. So it’s obviously in the airlines interest to cancel them ASAP (and may be a factor in why we saw many USA originating mistake fares - HK Airlines, Cathay, Air NZ - being honoured). I guess the sticking point would be whether the DOT has any sway on a flight departing Europe but with a destination/return embarkation point in the USA.

i don’t think Alitalia will be making a decision based on morals or ‘the right thing to do’. I’d imagine the first thing they’d do is ask their legal department to look into the possible repercussions and then decide.
Years ago I have booked the United EF from their danish website (LHR-SFO-JFK-LHR in first at the amazing price of 140€ PP).

If I well remember DOT just stated that was clearly an error and the fact to buy from Danish website for a non Danish people was considered as try to get advantage of a glitch.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:02 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by KiteM

Years ago I have booked the United EF from their danish website (LHR-SFO-JFK-LHR in first at the amazing price of 140€ PP).

If I well remember DOT just stated that was clearly an error and the fact to buy from Danish website for a non Danish people was considered as try to get advantage of a glitch.
Yes, I remember it well. I got 3 tickets. Tickets printed and everything and they flat out cancelled all of them. They did it very fast also, within 1 or 2 days I believe. They didn't responded to any e-mails with threats to pay for expensises though. Not that I had those of course

I would like to buy tickets to BCN now though, since in May the prices are actually higher then I thought. I have to start in AMS or RTM.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:25 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by kevinflyaway

I would like to buy tickets to BCN now though, since in May the prices are actually higher then I thought. I have to start in AMS or RTM.
No, no, no. Don't do it!
AZ can be ruthless and the crap airline they are do not give a flying flute about PR, announcements, unrefundable expenses and the likes.

Just wait, but if this is like the FLR-DUS it means someone will manually cancel all tix, therefore it could take weeks.
Check who's the champion of DOT fines and you'll get they are not shy when it comes to infringements.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:00 am

I'm planning on waiting as long as I can to book any hotels/connections. Hopefully there will be some movement either way - either people reporting that they flew just fine, or Alitalia canceling or downgrading. I'm flying March 11, so still have a a month + before we starting getting into the sub-21 day purchase time frame for airfares.

Lufthansa are great with last minute award space, so if you have some UA miles, I wouldn't fret too much about booking late.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I am flying March 11th too! I'd imagine we are among the first to go, so I'm not sure how many successful reports there might be before us.
PacificTwo likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Flying beginnen of May
Justin Case and glennhaak like this.

Last edited by kevinflyaway; Jan 8, 2019 at 1:05 pm
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:53 am

Flying in the beginning of May

Last edited by Cestamitulakapohvezdach; Jan 8, 2019 at 11:30 am Reason: I do not want to share it with others
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:15 am
Used to be guidogh

Programs: FB Ultimate, Hertz Platinum, Star Aliiance Gold
Originally Posted by kevinflyaway
Curious to see who else is flying. Might we create a wiki for it? Or are we waiting for confirmation first...

My dates are:

Outbound:
BCN - FCO
FCO - LAX

Inboud:
LAX - FCO
I highly reccomend you don't share this information. your announced plan is against the policy and rules of your ticket. It is possible that you are the only one with this fare on one of those flights, and so you are easy to identify by AZ. And yes airlines read this forum.
Personally I also wouldnt share my flight details untill you are certain that the fare is honored. Because even if they dont honor it, some slip through. I have personal experience with that. But if you put all your flight details here, you can be certain your ticket is one of the first that will be cancelled.
Xyzzy and Maayan like this.

Last edited by Hollandair; Jan 8, 2019 at 8:12 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Deleted
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Hollandair
I highly reccomend you don't share this information. your announced plan is against the policy and rules of your ticket. It is possible that you are the only one with this fare on one of those flights, and so you are easy to identify by AZ. And yes airlines read this forum.
Personally I also wouldnt share my flight details untill you are certain that the fare is honored. Because even if they dont honor it, some slip through. I have personal experience with that. But if you put all your flight details here, you can be certain your ticket is one of the first that will be cancelled.
Ok. ok .ok. I just wanted to share. I'll remove some data.
I highly doubt that AZ is watching this particular forum, but better safe then sorry they say
thanks

If you would be so kind to remove my quote in your post as well that would be great
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: Skymiles, AAdvantage
Beginning of March and beginning of April

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.