Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

UA/Star Alliance: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kmxu
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value):
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay:

Route(s) You've Already Searched:
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)?
For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A NEW THREAD.
There are many good fares to China (PEK or PVG). If you have a Chinese visa, these options will be provided. Otherwise, you may have to take advantage of TWOV (visa on arrival). Its information can be found: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/708095-china-24-72-144-hour-transit-without-visa-twov-rules-master-thread.html

If your requested PQM is in a few thousand, please give a more accurate amount. You will get fewer options with a roundup number (eg, 5000 instead of 4830; IAD-SFO nonstop will work for the latter.)
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:00 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond

On behalf to the Mileage Run Moderator team, I would like to express our thanks to the many FlyerTalkers who have risen to the challenge and helped so many members with their helpful suggestions.

‘Please follow the instructions for posting in this thread which can be found in the wiki. DO NOT CREATE A NEW THREAD

These consolidates threads made managing the year end traffic much smoother.

Hopefully, all were successful with their runs.

Pat89339 on behalf of the Mileage Run Moderator team

Last edited by Pat89339; Jan 4, 2019 at 12:08 am
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Trying to add around 50K BIS by mid-May 2019

Departure Airport: LAX
Miles Needed: Around 50K
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): Max Budget of $5K
Available Travel Dates: 1st half of 2019
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: UA only

Route(s) You've Already Searched: LAX-EWR-BQN-EWR-LAX ($344 on 02/06/19-02/08/19 for 8,078 BIS), LAX-SFO-LIH-SFO-BOS-SFO-LAX ($872 on 01/25/19-01/26/19 for 11,302 BIS); LAX-SFO-HKG-GUM-HNL-SFO-LAX ($798 on 03/12/19-03/14/19 for 15,904 BIS)
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)? No (CONUS, AK, HI or US Territories only)

My objective is to cross the 1MM BIS mark on UA on my already booked LAX-SYD RT flights in late May. Currently sitting at just under 890K. I expect to fly around 50K on biz trips during the 1st half of 2019 so, deducting the LAX-SYD mileage of ~15K, I need to hit around 50K of MR before I depart for SYD. And any MRs are constrained to be within the Continental US, AK, HI and/or between LAX and US territories.

Any great ideas welcomed!

David

Last edited by DELee; Jan 1, 2019 at 4:55 am
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: United
Reach United Silver in by end of 2019

Departure Airport(s): SJC, SFO, MRY
Miles Needed: As many as required to get to United Silver (currently PQM/PQS/PQD/Segments are all 0)
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): Flexible, $0.03 per mile or lower
Available Travel Dates: Anytime in 2019
Class of service: Any (Economy, Premium Economy, Business/First), emphasis on cents/mile value
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Codeshares OK
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)? No

My goal is to reach the Silver status with United, starting from 0 for 2019.
Preference for same day return, next day return, but no more than 48 hours duration - in that order of preference.

Thanks,
Uri

Last edited by uela; Jan 2, 2019 at 4:29 pm
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1K
Decide where to send me -- anywhere to get 35K on UA metal at a great price!

I need 35K or so on UA metal in January. I can stretch it a bit further, as late as 24 Jan if it's a really great deal.
Key: I do NOT want to actually stay anywhere - I prefer turn around and get on the next return flight after a long trip. I can go 4-5 straight days in the air nonstop without a problem - less time to get 35K miles the better.

Departure Airport: NYC preferably, (but start from anywhere in US if it's a great deal - can get tix to start from elsewhere.
Miles Needed: 35K on UA metal
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): Looking for best value - really great deals on premium cabin are OK too!
Available Travel Dates: Starting late on 12 Jan thru anytime 18 Jan **OR** starting anytime 17 Jan thru early AM arrival 23 Jan.
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: UA metal
Route(s) You've Already Searched: HKG, SIN, BOM, DEL, SYD, MEL, AKL
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)? Yes.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
OJ China deal?

Originally Posted by DELee
Departure Airport: LAX
Miles Needed: Around 50K
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): Max Budget of $5K
Available Travel Dates: 1st half of 2019
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: UA only

Route(s) You've Already Searched: LAX-EWR-BQN-EWR-LAX ($344 on 02/06/19-02/08/19 for 8,078 BIS), LAX-SFO-LIH-SFO-BOS-SFO-LAX ($872 on 01/25/19-01/26/19 for 11,302 BIS); LAX-SFO-HKG-GUM-HNL-SFO-LAX ($798 on 03/12/19-03/14/19 for 15,904 BIS)
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)? No (CONUS, AK, HI or US Territories only)

My objective is to cross the 1MM BIS mark on UA on my already booked LAX-SYD RT flights in late May. Currently sitting at just under 890K. I expect to fly around 50K on biz trips during the 1st half of 2019 so, deducting the LAX-SYD mileage of ~15K, I need to hit around 50K of MR before I depart for SYD. And any MRs are constrained to be within the Continental US, AK, HI and/or between LAX and US territories.

Any great ideas welcomed!

David
Because you have searched LAX-SFO-HKG-GUM-HNL-SFO-LAX, I guess that you have a US passport for travel. The best deal in terms of cpm is the OJ China deal (an example is given below; you can buy a cheap ticket for YVR-LAX if you do not want to throw away LAX-SFO-YVR). Good luck.
https://www.google.com/flights#flt=L...53*2.USD.33353
flockavelliFT likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:05 pm

If reaching 25,000 PQM on United by year end isn't likely without mileage running, would mileage running for Silver be worth it? Remember there's the $3,000 PQD requirement too. It may be cheaper and easier to get the United Club card. You'll get Club membership and can bring in family for free. You wouldn't get this with Silver. I think the main differences between United Club credit card and Silver status are the complimentary upgrades and seating, but Silvers flying out of SFO are very low on the waitlist for these benefits.
Hoops999 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by princesakura
Remember there's the $3,000 PQD requirement too.
This!!!!!

OP, what you are looking to get out Silver for? Also keep in mind, SFO is a hub for UA, and Silver status may not mean much there.

The other way to get Silver is spend $25K on one of its eligible credit cards, so you can get the waiver for the PQD requirement, but you would still need 25K miles flown.

Also, here is the thread you should post to: UA/Star Alliance: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
UA:$479 SFO-HKG 15725PQM 3.0cpm

Originally Posted by uela
Departure Airport(s): SJC, SFO, MRY
Miles Needed: As many as required to get to United Silver (currently PQM/PQS/PQD/Segments are all 0)
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): Flexible, $0.03 per mile or lower
Available Travel Dates: Anytime in 2019
Class of service: Any (Economy, Premium Economy, Business/First), emphasis on cents/mile value
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Codeshares OK
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)? No

My goal is to reach the Silver status with United, starting from 0 for 2019.
Preference for same day return, next day return, but no more than 48 hours duration - in that order of preference.

Thanks,
Uri
Nothing I see that's <3 cpm. But this one is close:

Mon 18 Mar SFO-LAX-HNL-GUM
(1h45m in GUM)
Tue 19 Mar GUM-HKG
(12h20m overnight in HKG)
Wed 20 Mar HKG-SFO (arrives Tue 19)
Link: https://goo.gl/flights/kevdy

Looks good on paper, but you really need to add in the cost of the airport hotel at HKG (which also makes it go over 48h). Another option without an overnight turn:

UA:$772 SFO-SYD 20462PQM 3.8cpm
Sun 24 Mar SFO-IAH-SYD
(3h50m in SYD)
Tue 26 Mar SYD-IAH-SFO
Link: https://goo.gl/flights/aJMyS

Neither requires a visa w/ US passport.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
This!!!!!
OP, what you are looking to get out Silver for? Also keep in mind, SFO is a hub for UA, and Silver status may not mean much there.
The other way to get Silver is spend $25K on one of its eligible credit cards, so you can get the waiver for the PQD requirement, but you would still need 25K miles flown.
Looking to get Silver to bump PQM/S/D credit on flights. Do not care for UA club.
If I get the UA credit card at the end of the year, will the PQD waiver apply for this entire year?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:43 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Looking to get Silver to bump PQM/S/D credit on flights. Do not care for UA club.
If I get the UA credit card at the end of the year, will the PQD waiver apply for this entire year?
Status does not affect PQM/PQS/PQD earning rates.

Silver *will* get you 7x redeemable miles instead of the base level of 5x for non-status members. If you were going to spend enough on tickets where the extra 2x would give you a positive return on your MR investment then you wouldn't need to MR to hit Silver in the first place.

I'd suggest you review the United web site and list of benefits carefully and make sure you understand what it is you think you'd be getting...
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by wh6cto
Nothing I see that's <3 cpm. But this one is close:

Mon 18 Mar SFO-LAX-HNL-GUM
(1h45m in GUM)
Tue 19 Mar GUM-HKG
(12h20m overnight in HKG)
Wed 20 Mar HKG-SFO (arrives Tue 19)
Link: https://goo.gl/flights/kevdy

Looks good on paper, but you really need to add in the cost of the airport hotel at HKG (which also makes it go over 48h). Another option without an overnight turn:

UA:$772 SFO-SYD 20462PQM 3.8cpm
Sun 24 Mar SFO-IAH-SYD
(3h50m in SYD)
Tue 26 Mar SYD-IAH-SFO
Link: https://goo.gl/flights/aJMyS

Neither requires a visa w/ US passport.
Thank you!

The SFO-GUM-SFO is showing in Google Travel 3 options, priced the same, yet you selected the longest duration that includes one additional layover (LAX).
Can you help me understand why is that one preferred?

Also, how do I search for 0.03 cpm MRs? Don't know where to start or how to approach such search.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
Thank you!

The SFO-GUM-SFO is showing in Google Travel 3 options, priced the same, yet you selected the longest duration that includes one additional layover (LAX).
Can you help me understand why is that one preferred?

Also, how do I search for 0.03 cpm MRs? Don't know where to start or how to approach such search.
SFO-LAX-HNL is approx 495 miles more than SFO-HNL, at the same price. This improves your CPM. But the extra stop adds more time to the trip, as you noticed.

As far as finding good fares, it's about knowing where prices have been good in the past (typically lots of competition). And watching what others report recently in Mileage Run Deals. And even if it's for the wrong airline, they often price patch each other to compete, so it's still good to keep an eye on that destination.

Good luck!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:45 pm

If you want to get more miles to redeem for awards, the best way at low annual mileage is not through flying but through credit cards. Let's say you spend $5,000 on airfare in a year. The difference between no status and Silver is 10,000 additional miles. Realistically, it's less because the taxes and fees portion of the airfare doesn't earn miles. United Explorer and Club credit cards give sign up bonuses several times that amount. You could sign up and cancel every year, alternating between the two cards.
enakurt likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by Zorak
Status does not affect PQM/PQS/PQD earning rates. Silver *will* get you 7x redeemable miles instead of the base level of 5x for non-status members. If you were going to spend enough on tickets where the extra 2x would give you a positive return on your MR investment then you wouldn't need to MR to hit Silver in the first place. I'd suggest you review the United web site and list of benefits carefully and make sure you understand what it is you think you'd be getting...
Wouldn't attaining Silver be the only way to gain access to free Economy Plus seating - albeit only at the T-24 hour mark...? I'm thinking Silver status is the only way of getting out of the back of the plane. Agree that all the other benefits are probably better obtained through the Explorer credit card.

....and thinking about it, doing buy-up to Economy Plus might be more cost effective, unless you planned to make 25K United miles in any case.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:50 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by pfbloom
Wouldn't attaining Silver be the only way to gain access to free Economy Plus seating - albeit only at the T-24 hour mark...?
Sure, I wasn't saying there were no benefits; just not the one OP specifically cited as the reason they wanted status.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.