Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

UA/Star Alliance: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kmxu
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value):
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay:

Route(s) You've Already Searched:
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)?
For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A NEW THREAD.
There are many good fares to China (PEK or PVG). If you have a Chinese visa, these options will be provided. Otherwise, you may have to take advantage of TWOV (visa on arrival). Its information can be found: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/708095-china-24-72-144-hour-transit-without-visa-twov-rules-master-thread.html

If your requested PQM is in a few thousand, please give a more accurate amount. You will get fewer options with a roundup number (eg, 5000 instead of 4830; IAD-SFO nonstop will work for the latter.)
Print Wikipost

UA/Star Alliance: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Air Canada for $636, AMS-SCL

Originally Posted by MissMiles
Thank you! How did you find the route? By searching on google flights and filtering by United and price?
This one is on Air Canada (PQM is 100% x distance; standard economy fare, K). It is a shorter trip, but with a long layover at YYZ. The economy seats are probably less comfortable than UA's Economy Plus seats. I did not find this earlier because I only selected United. I changed to Star Alliance on Google flight search.
By the way, I went to Santiago before. You will take a bus and then a subway to get to the city. It is an interesting city for a short visit. Good luck.

https://www.google.com/flights#flt=A...74*2.USD.63574
Old Nov 6, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: united airlines - mileage plus
UA Mileage Run to Gold for 2020

Departure Airport: IAH
Miles Needed: 7,600 (maybe less depending on possible SFO trip)
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): $800
Available Travel Dates: 12/6-12/8 (overnight stay ok)
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: no
Route(s) You've Already Searched: IAH-HNL
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)? no

Originally Posted by Pat89339

On behalf to the Mileage Run Moderator team, I would like to express our thanks to the many FlyerTalkers who have risen to the challenge and helped so many members with their helpful suggestions.

‘Please follow the instructions for posting in this thread which can be found in the wiki. DO NOT CREATE A NEW THREAD

These consolidates threads made managing the year end traffic much smoother.

Hopefully, all were successful with their runs.

Pat89339 on behalf of the Mileage Run Moderator team
Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: *A Gold, Marriott Titanium
DEN - 9700 for Gold

Departure Airport: DEN

Miles Needed: 9750

Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): Budget - low as possible

Available Travel Dates: 11/15-EOY except Thanksgiving weekend.

Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Just need the miles as quick as possible

Route(s) You've Already Searched: DEN - Domestic flights mostly coming up too short due to location in CONUS

Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)? No

Revisiting this as work travel butchered my DEN PKG option. Lower miles needed now so hoping this can be knocked out in a single day or day and a half run. Maybe?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 1:38 pm

DEN-PEK-NRT-DEN for $355.

Originally Posted by bdegroodt
Departure Airport: DEN

Miles Needed: 9750

Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): Budget - low as possible

Available Travel Dates: 11/15-EOY except Thanksgiving weekend.

Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Just need the miles as quick as possible

Route(s) You've Already Searched: DEN - Domestic flights mostly coming up too short due to location in CONUS

Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)? No

Revisiting this as work travel butchered my DEN PKG option. Lower miles needed now so hoping this can be knocked out in a single day or day and a half run. Maybe?
If you have Premier Gold status, you can use the free same-day change to delay your departure date(s), but return via NRT for transient without visa (TWOV) purpose. You may just have one overnight stay at Beijing.
https://www.google.com/flights#flt=D...55*2.USD.35515

This one needs same-day change to Sunday return (PEK-SFO-DEN), still only needs one night stay at Beijing.
https://www.google.com/flights#flt=D...75*2.USD.36075
bdegroodt likes this.

Last edited by Kmxu; Nov 6, 2019 at 1:53 pm Reason: Another link
Old Nov 6, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: *A
Guys , maybe a noob question.... , why would you choose google flight over ItaMatrix for search ?
( I know you can not purchase via ITA )
Old Nov 6, 2019, 2:50 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Google Flights requires a lot less training to use, but also has a lot less knobs to tweak.

Just a quibble, but you can apply a script to ITA that gives you about as much purchase capability (i.e. redirect with linking) as GF has.
andy111 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 2:56 pm

Unhappy Reach United 1K by end of 2019

Trying to hit 1K by end of 2019. PQD is no issue. Was on track until project team decided we would do a couple of remote weeks. SOS

Departure Airport: ORD
Miles Needed: 5,065
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): Maximum Budget~$600
Available Travel Dates: 11/29-12/1; 12/5-12/8; 12/19-12/23
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: just need the miles
Route(s) You've Already Searched: no domestic routes are +5,000 PQM from ORD. Trying to find a three way trip that will hit 5,000 or first class domestic that will hit it
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)?: Yes
Old Nov 6, 2019, 3:42 pm

ORD-DEN-ANC for $468

Originally Posted by lcschmd2
Trying to hit 1K by end of 2019. PQD is no issue. Was on track until project team decided we would do a couple of remote weeks. SOS

Departure Airport: ORD
Miles Needed: 5,065
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): Maximum Budget~$600
Available Travel Dates: 11/29-12/1; 12/5-12/8; 12/19-12/23
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: just need the miles
Route(s) You've Already Searched: no domestic routes are +5,000 PQM from ORD. Trying to find a three way trip that will hit 5,000 or first class domestic that will hit it
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)?: Yes
ORD-DEN-ANC will give you more than enough miles. But it is very far away for a domestic trip. Hawai trip will be more expensive.
https://www.google.com/flights#flt=O...50*2.USD.46750

Edit: I do not know it is worth driving to MKE (MKE-ORD-EWR-BQN) for a shorter trip and a few dollar cheaper ($459): https://www.google.com/flights#flt=M...80*2.USD.45880

Last edited by Kmxu; Nov 7, 2019 at 6:07 am Reason: A shorter trip from MKE
Old Nov 6, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: United 1K, Bonvoy Ambassador / Lifetime Titanium
Short of 1K, but feel like I've already gone more than halfway past Plat that I am in no-man's land.

Departure Airport: PHL / ABE / EWR
Miles Needed: 11,250
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): $800 - I have $800 in ETC, I've already hit req PQD
Available Travel Dates: Now thru EOY
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: prefer UA metal
Route(s) You've Already Searched: PHL-ANC gets me close, didn't look at Europe
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)?: No

Last edited by seravaf; Nov 6, 2019 at 3:54 pm
Old Nov 6, 2019, 4:41 pm

PHL-NRT for $615

Originally Posted by seravaf
Short of 1K, but feel like I've already gone more than halfway past Plat that I am in no-man's land.

Departure Airport: PHL / ABE / EWR
Miles Needed: 11,250
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): $800 - I have $800 in ETC, I've already hit req PQD
Available Travel Dates: Now thru EOY
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: prefer UA metal
Route(s) You've Already Searched: PHL-ANC gets me close, didn't look at Europe
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)?: No
If you use the same-day change, you can come home next day (change to NRT-ORD-PHL). Good luck.
https://www.google.com/flights#flt=E...95*2.USD.61495
Old Nov 7, 2019, 3:27 am

Programs: UA Gold
kmxu said:
"Edit: If Air Canada gives you 0.5x500 (minimum) miles for YEG-YYC, you should have enough PQM. Did you get your number from UA's receipt? gcmap gives me a much higher number. Great Circle Mapper"

It is indeed Air Canada. I had a look at a previous YEG-YYC flight and I only got 125 PQMs. I have not so far found any discrepancies in the PQMs predicted by United.
Thanks for the idea, I'll see if I can get them to re-route me through DEN on the way back for some extra miles.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 3:30 am

Programs: UA Gold
This may help someone, please correct me if I am wrong: I was trying out the Award Accelerator on United and got charged US$250 for 2000 PQM and 2000 award miles (when booking a YEG-YYC flight).
I cancelled the flight but the PQMs and award miles stayed, to my surprise. But the $250 (it's $200 for award accelerator and $50 for status accelerator) was not refunded and they are now telling me that it's non-refundable! I am fighting this but it may help some people out who don't have time to fly.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by rbakker
kmxu said:
"Edit: If Air Canada gives you 0.5x500 (minimum) miles for YEG-YYC, you should have enough PQM. Did you get your number from UA's receipt? gcmap gives me a much higher number. Great Circle Mapper"

It is indeed Air Canada. I had a look at a previous YEG-YYC flight and I only got 125 PQMs. I have not so far found any discrepancies in the PQMs predicted by United.
Thanks for the idea, I'll see if I can get them to re-route me through DEN on the way back for some extra miles.
Because UA posts miles immediately after landing, you will find out the total PQM for your outbound flights before you need to make a decision on your inbound flights. I usually trust gcmap.com numbers within +/-20 miles. In your case, those numbers are off by more than 20 miles.
Happy running!
Old Nov 7, 2019, 6:34 am

Nov/Dec Mileage Run - 7263 PQM

Departure Airport: NYC
Miles Needed: 7263 PQM
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): prefer to keep total under $1000. Already have 1 trip on hold (below). trying to figure out if it makes more sense to go Business both ways, or add another quick trip (over TG ok; redeye OK)
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Okay

Route(s) You've Already Searched: have a EWR/LAX/SNA/EWR on hold
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)? N/A

I am already planning a trip to LAX/SBA. I have 2 flights on hold (Dec 13-16 - flexible +/- 1day)- one EWR-SBA/LAX-EWR on economy (5408 PQM; $337), and one EWR-LAX/SNA-EWR with a return on Business (6104 PQM; $667). Redeye return on both.
Adding business in the outbound increases the price significantly, so was looking for a cheap RT to get to 7263 (or adding a leg to the current trip...?). Any ideas welcome
Old Nov 7, 2019, 7:07 am

LGA-IAH-EWR-BQN-EWR-ORD-LGA for $353 and 7400 PQM

Originally Posted by DinWP
Departure Airport: NYC
Miles Needed: 7263 PQM
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): prefer to keep total under $1000. Already have 1 trip on hold (below). trying to figure out if it makes more sense to go Business both ways, or add another quick trip (over TG ok; redeye OK)
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Okay

Route(s) You've Already Searched: have a EWR/LAX/SNA/EWR on hold
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)? N/A

I am already planning a trip to LAX/SBA. I have 2 flights on hold (Dec 13-16 - flexible +/- 1day)- one EWR-SBA/LAX-EWR on economy (5408 PQM; $337), and one EWR-LAX/SNA-EWR with a return on Business (6104 PQM; $667). Redeye return on both.
Adding business in the outbound increases the price significantly, so was looking for a cheap RT to get to 7263 (or adding a leg to the current trip...?). Any ideas welcome
Hopefully, you do not mind departing from LGA. BQN has the cheapest fare. If you need more PQM, you can do BQN-EWR-IAH-LGA on return. Good luck.
https://www.google.com/flights#flt=L...80*2.USD.35280
wh6cto likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.