Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

DL/Sky Team: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*:

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A SEPARATE THREAD.

----

NOTE: You will have greater chances of success if you have greater flexibility on travel dates and cost. If you need a lot of MQMs on weekends only for < 5 cpm it probably won't happen.

Other creative possibilities depending how many MQMs you need:
----

*"Required Metal or Codeshares" is, approximately, asking whether you need a flight operated specifically by Delta or if partner flights are ok. If you are just looking for MQMs to hit a Medallion tier the normal way, then the answer is yes. If you are doing a status challenge, the answer is also probably yes, but read the T&C of your challenge carefully to be sure (for the regular status challenge the answer is also "yes")

NOTE: some partner flights earn MQMs at reduced rates. See this chart for more info.

Newcomers may also be interested in the FlyerTalk Glossary
Print Wikipost

DL/Sky Team: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2019, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by khanmin
With Delta Reserve Amex, can’t I just do the waiver of $25k for PT status? Then do the rest with flying for mileage? That’s what the Amex customer service had told me...was I misinformed?

Thats why I thought u could knock that MQDs with AMEX, then see if you guys could please help me do the rest with the mileage run? Thank you so much...just very confused now... If you can guide me...with doing my mileage run...it would be greatly appreciated.

I know a bit confusing, and I’m confused too. Thank you.

Either way, can you guys please help me do the mileage run? First time doing it...and need lots of help.
$25K of spend is the MQD waiver amount for Delta Platinum or lower status. You need to spend $250K on the Amex card in order to get the MQD waiver for Diamond status. If you do not meet the $250K spend requirement for the waiver, you will need to earn at least 15,000 MQD's for Diamond status (in addition to 125K MQM's).

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...o-qualify.html

"Starting January 1, 2018, the Medallion Qualification Dollar (MQD) Waiver for Diamond Medallion Status is increasing. The MQD Waiver for Diamond Medallion Status is currently earned by spending $25,000 in eligible purchases in a calendar year on a SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express. It is being adjusted to $250,000 in a calendar year."
Old May 4, 2019, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by canuck_traveler
Yes, I was thinking of MQD but you also said you would prefer to earn double the miles for flying the same routes and premium seating (back surgery.) How much are you willing to spend? I find the best deals are generally in economy (e.g. China Eastern to Asia from JFK).
canuck_traveler, So...just to confirm, it is possible for the waiver of $25,000 atleast up to the platinum correct?

I’ve not traveled on China Eastern before, so I am willing to do coach if it’s comfy. And or if they do upgrades to atleast their premium for a small price...with bidding, if there is any luck with that? Or any other of the airlines...recommendations.

As you mentioned Aeromexico flights...would that double up the miles in one round VS doing 2 of that in coach class? Or any other country where 1 premium/business class would get me the same miles vs flying coach 2 or 3 times?

Also, like I said I’ve Gold with Delta...is there any luck on flying a longer route to like Hawaii/Alaska on certain days for nailing possible free upgrades and getting close mileage as well as pricing if I were to do international? Or maybe do low key states in US (where not a lot of people fly) runs in few days for a good price?

Any insight or suggestions would be great. Still pretty open on dates as listed above with trying to cover 50k + miles. With that said, my budget isn’t too high or too low....more if I may ask how much do I need to be looking at to make this possible?

If I can get biz class or premium class that will give me double/triple miles in one shot vs doing the same flight in coach 2 or 3 times I’m open for that.

Ps. As they say free upgrades available in 50 states, including Alaska & Hawaii...that always means just DL flights correct, or is there any partners that honors that too?

Sorry I know a lot of questions...just trying to get the right track...as I’m new at this.

Old May 4, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Oneworld pleb, Accors Hotel Gold
Hey guys, would appreciate some inputs on how to maximise my miles/XP run. I need to travel to Sydney from Amsterdam but I do not want to overly spend so perhaps would be ideal to see if I can have a nice balance of a good budget and more miles.

Destination: Sydney (could do Melbourne too)
Departure: Amsterdam (can reposition if cheaper flights)
Dates: August-September 2019 (3 weeks)
Notes: Can do a stop over in Southeast Asia (Singapore, BKK, KL) if it can help maximise the XP
Budget: 1000-1200 EUR
Old May 4, 2019, 11:42 am

You said the waiver is much higher? Or do you mean someone would need at-least 15,000 MQMs Extra on top of the waiver that would be good enough for a platinum/gold/silver. Or just atleast $15,000 in credit card spending and 125k miles? And cc spending can be on whatever, as I am aware or is it just flights?

I’m trying to shoot for Platinum as well, but trying to see if I can manage to get the diamond with miles? Like the person above Khanmin have stated, I would want to know if anyone has done diamond too? Interested to know what routes and how much did they spend as well as how long did whole process take. Is it doable with coach flights? I’m also in IAD and would love insight to anything possible to push me towards that.

Last edited by LeedH; May 4, 2019 at 1:01 pm
Old May 4, 2019, 4:33 pm

canuck_traveler, So...just to confirm, it is possible for the waiver of $25,000 atleast up to the platinum correct?

I’ve not traveled on China Eastern before, so I am willing to do coach if it’s comfy. And or if they do upgrades to atleast their premium for a small price...with bidding, if there is any luck with that? Or any other of the airlines...recommendations.

As you mentioned Aeromexico flights...would that double up the miles in one round VS doing 2 of that in coach class? Or any other country where 1 premium/business class would get me the same miles vs flying coach 2 or 3 times?

Also, like I said I’ve Gold with Delta...is there any luck on flying a longer route to like Hawaii/Alaska on certain days for nailing possible free upgrades and getting close mileage as well as pricing if I were to do international? Or maybe do low key states in US (where not a lot of people fly) runs in few days for a good price?

Any insight or suggestions would be great. Still pretty open on dates as listed above with trying to cover 50k + miles. With that said, my budget isn’t too high or too low....more if I may ask how much do I need to be looking at to make this possible?

If I can get biz class or premium class that will give me double/triple miles in one shot vs doing the same flight in coach 2 or 3 times I’m open for that.

Ps. As they say free upgrades available in 50 states, including Alaska & Hawaii...that always means just DL flights correct, or is there any partners that honors that too?

Sorry I know a lot of questions...just trying to get the right track...as I’m new at this.

Yes, as Xliioper posted, up to $25,000 spend on the Amex card for waiver for Platinum and much, much higher spend for Diamond.

IAD to Hawaii is about 10,000 miles (for a return trip) so you need to make 7 trips plus another for 5000 miles (in economy) to make platinum. I don't know which flights would give a better chance for the upgrades. I see prices at low as $700 for various dates between now and the end of the year.

IAD to Singapore is about 20,000 miles (for a return trip). On Delta, there are some tickets in the $900 range.

There are some tickets on Virgin Atlantic for $1250 (economy delight) to Johannesburg from September onwards. With the 25% bonus, it would get you about 25,000 MQMs. Premium Economy is about $2100 but would earn you 30,000 MQMs.

China Eastern has some tickets to Asia as low as $400 from LAX, SFO, ORD. see posting: LAX/SFO/YVR/ORD-Asia $400 (MU/ST)

You can upgrade on China Eastern once on the airplane but you have to pay in cash and in Chinese currency. Not all their planes have Premium Economy seating though (i.e. just two classes.)
Old May 6, 2019, 7:23 am

Departure Airport: MSP Any, LAX 5/23-5/24, DFW 5/30-5/31
Miles Needed: As many as possible. Currently Plat would like for Diamond or to at least keep Plat
Required Spend or Budget: <700$ preferably bookable on Delta as I have a voucher
Available Travel Dates: MSP any time , LAX 5/24 or 5/25, DFW
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Need MQM's will be good on MQD's

I travel for work and as such regularly go through larger hubs looking for good deals I can add into a work trip. I am able to extend my RT a few days to add one in.
Old May 6, 2019, 12:16 pm

Departure Airport: SFO/OAK/SJC, DTW, ORD, but see below
Miles Needed: This one is tricky. Normal business travel is on track to land me at exactly 46,774 miles. So I either need 3500 miles to hit gold or 28.5K to hit platinum. I will meet the AMEX MQD waiver. These totals already include the bonus AMEX welcome miles too
Required Spend or Budget: To hit gold, 3300 MQM at ~$250-$300? For platinum, unless there's a bunch of unexpected work travel, I can't see spending the $2000 to get 28.5K miles, and I'm not super excited to pay tons of money to fly back and forth to China in economy just for the miles.
Available Travel Dates: Any, ?
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Don't care

I travel for work, so I can try to position to anything that I can reasonably justify (ATL, RDU?). O'hare is pretty easy. I can do various one-ways too depending on how they terminate.
Old May 6, 2019, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by gromplishtaction
Departure Airport: SFO/OAK/SJC, DTW, ORD, but see below
Miles Needed: This one is tricky. Normal business travel is on track to land me at exactly 46,774 miles. So I either need 3500 miles to hit gold or 28.5K to hit platinum. I will meet the AMEX MQD waiver. These totals already include the bonus AMEX welcome miles too
Required Spend or Budget: To hit gold, 3300 MQM at ~$250-$300? For platinum, unless there's a bunch of unexpected work travel, I can't see spending the $2000 to get 28.5K miles, and I'm not super excited to pay tons of money to fly back and forth to China in economy just for the miles.
Available Travel Dates: Any, ?
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Don't care

I travel for work, so I can try to position to anything that I can reasonably justify (ATL, RDU?). O'hare is pretty easy. I can do various one-ways too depending on how they terminate.
This thread might be able to help you out - there are other Asian cities outside of China. You can either hit GM with some rollover, or doing two trips to hit PM: LAX/SFO/YVR/ORD-Asia $400 (MU/ST)
Old May 7, 2019, 7:30 pm

If you can reposition to New York,

China Eastern, JFK-SIN (via PVG), $500 - $600 (economy) depending on dates, starting in mid September. Bookable on Expedia.com. Immediate turn.

similar prices to other places in Southeast Asia
Old May 7, 2019, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by LeedH
You said the waiver is much higher? Or do you mean someone would need at-least 15,000 MQMs Extra on top of the waiver that would be good enough for a platinum/gold/silver. Or just atleast $15,000 in credit card spending and 125k miles? And cc spending can be on whatever, as I am aware or is it just flights?

I’m trying to shoot for Platinum as well, but trying to see if I can manage to get the diamond with miles? Like the person above Khanmin have stated, I would want to know if anyone has done diamond too? Interested to know what routes and how much did they spend as well as how long did whole process take. Is it doable with coach flights? I’m also in IAD and would love insight to anything possible to push me towards that.

You need to have a combination of $$$ AND Miles/Segments to reach Medallion status. Delta Medallion requirements. The dollar spend requirement can be reached by spending the number of $$$ (MQD) required by the Medallion status you are trying to achieve OR by credit card spending on a Delta Amex credit card (i.e. the waiver.) The credit card spend to reach Silver, Gold and Platinum is $25,000 while Diamond is $250,000.

Old May 12, 2019, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by canuck_traveler
You need to have a combination of $$$ AND Miles/Segments to reach Medallion status. Delta Medallion requirements. The dollar spend requirement can be reached by spending the number of $$$ (MQD) required by the Medallion status you are trying to achieve OR by credit card spending on a Delta Amex credit card (i.e. the waiver.) The credit card spend to reach Silver, Gold and Platinum is $25,000 while Diamond is $250,000.

Canuck_traveler thank you for the insight...I guess the best way to get diamond, once I accomplish platinum...I guess need to cross my fingers and hope I can get get it by flying somehow.

Im ready to fly any day....is there any good mileage runs that you have seen for DL or the partners? Domestically and internationally with a quick turnaround? Just as khanmin said it is easier to possibly get upgraded with current status here too. So any deals from IAD or possibly find cheap flights to JFK, ATL, DTW etc, and repositioning to do any of these flights. But need to make sure the flights out of IAD are reasonable too, just to reposition...so it gets complicated.

Do you or anyone have any sales/ last minute in states with DL even Hawaii or Alaska...flying out literally as soon as tomorrow with open seats and for a good deal. Don’t mind just touching down and spending time in lounges then on to next flight etc. would be nice, as she states to be able to try for free upgrades, with current elite status.

though in my case, I can do coach, premium or business....as long as business gives me the double miles for 1 flight vs 2 coach flight as she mentioned. And I can do the DL partners that give full point or more please.

Ps. The VA deals you mentioned before were gone that same night I looked on them.

Let me know please, literally waiting patiently 🙇🏻.♀️ To just get some flights and MQMs on my notches to get 50+ miles out of the way....literally tomorrow! Then finger crossed 🤞🏻 try for diamond the rest of the year with some kind of miracle sale flights.

Please feel free to let me know any thoughts here, or I don’t know if we can message each other here on the site? Thank you and waiting to see if you or anyone can make me the world travel...in the next few days, and I can give you guys all the feedbacks! Thanks very much!
Old May 12, 2019, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by LeedH

Canuck_traveler thank you for the insight...I guess the best way to get diamond, once I accomplish platinum...I guess need to cross my fingers and hope I can get get it by flying somehow.

Im ready to fly any day....is there any good mileage runs that you have seen for DL or the partners? Domestically and internationally with a quick turnaround? Just as khanmin said it is easier to possibly get upgraded with current status here too. So any deals from IAD or possibly find cheap flights to JFK, ATL, DTW etc, and repositioning to do any of these flights. But need to make sure the flights out of IAD are reasonable too, just to reposition...so it gets complicated.

Do you or anyone have any sales/ last minute in states with DL even Hawaii or Alaska...flying out literally as soon as tomorrow with open seats and for a good deal. Don’t mind just touching down and spending time in lounges then on to next flight etc. would be nice, as she states to be able to try for free upgrades, with current elite status.

though in my case, I can do coach, premium or business....as long as business gives me the double miles for 1 flight vs 2 coach flight as she mentioned. And I can do the DL partners that give full point or more please.

Ps. The VA deals you mentioned before were gone that same night I looked on them.

Let me know please, literally waiting patiently 🙇🏻.♀️ To just get some flights and MQMs on my notches to get 50+ miles out of the way....literally tomorrow! Then finger crossed 🤞🏻 try for diamond the rest of the year with some kind of miracle sale flights.

Please feel free to let me know any thoughts here, or I don’t know if we can message each other here on the site? Thank you and waiting to see if you or anyone can make me the world travel...in the next few days, and I can give you guys all the feedbacks! Thanks very much!
Well, we are now heading into the summer travel season so there probably won't be too many deals for travel during this time. However, if you keep your eyes open, sometimes they do pop up. You need to buy immediately, as you have discovered, ticket prices comes and go daily (and sometimes hourly.)

There are some China Eastern tickets from JFK to Southeast Asia (Singapore, Bangkok, etc) in the $900- $950 range for June. Not the best prices since you can get them for half the price for travel later in the year but still in the 5cpm - 6 cpm per mile range. You can find these fares on Expedia.com. Just plug in dates - for an immediate turn, you would add two days from departure (e.g. depart June 11, return June 13). These flights are late afternoon or shortly after midnight departing JFK so you shouldn't have any problems with positioning.

I also sent you a private message.
Old May 17, 2019, 1:42 pm

Departure Airport: BNA
Miles Needed: As many as possible.
Required Spend or Budget: <500$
Available Travel Dates: Aug 22-24

Looking for a quick (preferably immediate turn) trip to help grab some MQMs
Old May 20, 2019, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by newguy2321
Departure Airport: BNA
Miles Needed: As many as possible.
Required Spend or Budget: <500$
Available Travel Dates: Aug 22-24

Looking for a quick (preferably immediate turn) trip to help grab some MQMs
August 22, BNA-OGG, $440 (basic economy), 9000+ MQMs depending on routing, immediate turn, gets back into BNA afternoon of August 23rd, bookable on Delta website
newguy2321 and Pocatello like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:13 pm

Departure Airport: DFW
Miles Needed: 20,000
Required Spend or Budget: 1000-1500$
Available Travel Dates: JUL-DEC
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: MQMs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.