Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

DL/Sky Team: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*:

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A SEPARATE THREAD.

----

NOTE: You will have greater chances of success if you have greater flexibility on travel dates and cost. If you need a lot of MQMs on weekends only for < 5 cpm it probably won't happen.

Other creative possibilities depending how many MQMs you need:
----

*"Required Metal or Codeshares" is, approximately, asking whether you need a flight operated specifically by Delta or if partner flights are ok. If you are just looking for MQMs to hit a Medallion tier the normal way, then the answer is yes. If you are doing a status challenge, the answer is also probably yes, but read the T&C of your challenge carefully to be sure (for the regular status challenge the answer is also "yes")

NOTE: some partner flights earn MQMs at reduced rates. See this chart for more info.

Newcomers may also be interested in the FlyerTalk Glossary
Print Wikipost

DL/Sky Team: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:46 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Departure Airport:JFK/EWR/LGA/PHL/ABE/SWF
Miles Needed: 25000+
Required Spend or Budget: 1500-2000USD
Available Travel Dates:7/3-7/9
Required Metal or Codeshares okay* Codeshares are okay.

Can leave out of the NYC airports or even the surrounding areas.

Just looking for a nice 4th of July MR. Destination is totally flexible. Just want to find a good EQD run basically and make a nice little trip out of it.

Thanks for any tips.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: SkyMiles
Departure Airport: SDF/ATL/DTW/MSP/LGA
Miles Needed: N/A, maximize MQDs
Required Spend or Budget: 1000-1500
Available Travel: May, June, August
Required Metal or Codeshares okay* Codeshares are okay. Possibly preferred.

So I am in the unique position that I always crush the miles aspect of the rewards program but always come up short of diamond on dollars, that is mostly due to me booking early on premium economy to large Asian airports. So my main question is, what would the best way to get MQDs be? Fly domestic first class? Use a codeshare in Premium Economy or Business on a long flight? I know how to do the math, but I'm struggling to find these opportunities like you guys do. So if you could give some of the methodology/tips behind it, I'd be extremely appreciative.

I'm able to use Google Matrix and Google Flights to find some good deals on codeshares from west coast to Asia (almost 3k), and from the east coast to europe (Air France/ Alitalia for 2.5ish), but those are usually 1-2 week trips. I just cant seem to find the great deals with short turnarounds like you all. Again, I really just want to maximize MQDs.

Thanks all
Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by JakeE
Departure Airport: SDF/ATL/DTW/MSP/LGA
Miles Needed: N/A, maximize MQDs
Required Spend or Budget: 1000-1500
Available Travel: May, June, August
Required Metal or Codeshares okay* Codeshares are okay. Possibly preferred.

So I am in the unique position that I always crush the miles aspect of the rewards program but always come up short of diamond on dollars, that is mostly due to me booking early on premium economy to large Asian airports. So my main question is, what would the best way to get MQDs be? Fly domestic first class? Use a codeshare in Premium Economy or Business on a long flight? I know how to do the math, but I'm struggling to find these opportunities like you guys do. So if you could give some of the methodology/tips behind it, I'd be extremely appreciative.

I'm able to use Google Matrix and Google Flights to find some good deals on codeshares from west coast to Asia (almost 3k), and from the east coast to europe (Air France/ Alitalia for 2.5ish), but those are usually 1-2 week trips. I just cant seem to find the great deals with short turnarounds like you all. Again, I really just want to maximize MQDs.

Thanks all
I generally use Expedia.com and just plug in dates. For example, JFK-SIN on China Eastern is $931 and earns about 2000 in MQD (for S class). May 28 - 30

Probably your best bets would be flying Virgin Atlantic in Economy Delight class or AeroMexico in their business class. For Virgin Atlantic, you can book from their website and use flexible 5 week search.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

VS ED fares to JNB are unquestionably the biggest bang per buck on partners for a pure MR. RT fares from $936 from BOS to $1031 from SFO from late Oct to early Dec. OLRP7SCN fares which only require a Saturday night stay. Seats are basically like DL C+, but you have a decent chance of getting a whole row to yourself (to make a bed). Book an aisle seat and then sit in the middle seat. This will reduce the chance of an interloper grabbing the window seat in your row. If they try to grab the aisle seat, show them your seat number.

BETWEEN THE UNITED STATES AND AFRICA FOR -L TYPE FARES
PERMITTED 26OCT THROUGH 09DEC OR 10JAN THROUGH 31MAR ON
THE OUTBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.

AM J fares from YYZ-UIO can be purchased from $825 RT USD. Not a bad deal, but really no match for VS in terms of MQD earn.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 5, 2019 at 7:38 pm
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
Looking for miles in short trip

Hi all!

I am looking for total miles here for a J fare. Thank you

Departure Airport: Home is MSP but will position to hubs
Miles Needed: MAX for fare
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): 6K
Available Travel Dates: weekdays are fine prefer quick turnaround
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Codeshare is fine if bookable through DL
Route(s) You've Already Searched: MSP to SIN/SYD
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)? No but will to get as will have travel there in 2020
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by In2ishn
Hi all!

I am looking for total miles here for a J fare. Thank you

Departure Airport: Home is MSP but will position to hubs
Miles Needed: MAX for fare
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value): 6K
Available Travel Dates: weekdays are fine prefer quick turnaround
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Codeshare is fine if bookable through DL
Route(s) You've Already Searched: MSP to SIN/SYD
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)? No but will to get as will have travel there in 2020
Have you considered Cape Town? There are fares running in the $5900 range for weekend travel starting in July and running until October (immediate turn). Base MQMs is about 21,800 miles depending on routing. Tack on the J bonus would get you over 43,000 miles. Use Delta flexible date search and filter for First class fares.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:01 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Silver, Hertz #1 Five Star
Departure Airport: JAX
Destination: Anywhere
Miles Needed: N/A
Required Spend or Budget: <$1,000
Available Travel Dates: Jun 11 - Jun 12
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Doesn't matter
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by TonyTone
JAX-LIH, $758 (basic economy) / $888 (Main Cabin), about 10,000 MQMs, immediate turn, search on Delta with departure as Jun 11 and return as Jun 11

JAX-JFK-SAN-DTW-JAX, $392 (MC), about 6000 MQMs, immediate turn, search on Delta with departure as Jun 11 and return as Jun 11 (JAX-SAN)

Last edited by canuck_traveler; Apr 9, 2019 at 4:11 am Reason: add SAN option
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:49 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by LeedH

Haha omg! Defiantly...a good idea. Don’t think I can do the 9,000 is really a good option. Thank you again!
What do you mean by defiantly? It means obstinately or angry opposition to something you dislike. Please clarify.

Last edited by DCBob; Apr 10, 2019 at 1:52 am Reason: Error
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, working on Delta Plat
Departure Airport: SFO/SJC/OAK/SMF (can re-position to LAX/LAS etc. if needed)
Miles Needed: 45K-50K MQMs, maximize MQMs
Required Spend or Budget: ~$3000
Available Travel Dates: Anytime 2019 besides May 24-28 and July 4th weekend and middle of August
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Yes, just looking for MQMs

Hey everyone! I'm looking for a flight or set of flights I can take to achieve the 50K MQMs remaining I need for Plat this year.
  • I prefer a immediate turnaround (a weekend is okay too). I'm looking for a pure mileage run, I don't even need to leave the airport haha. The preference is to avoid taking days off work but I'm flexible.
  • I've tried to work around SIN routes but I'm probably not doing it as correctly as I could be. Open to any routes that don't require an extra visa.
  • I'm open to positional flights as well if it will get me a better deal.
  • Travel can happen at any time during the week but like most people, I would prefer near the weekend so I don't have to take days off, but this is only a preference.
  • It can be a set of flights if necessary (e.g. SFO-SIN-SFO on 1 week and then SFO-BKK-SFO on a different week).
  • Travel can be in any fare class, Business/Economy/whatever gets the MQMs! Business is probably preferred so I don't have to take as many flights but if you've got a good economy fair I'm down.
Let me know what other information you guys need! My budget is ~6.5 cents per mile which I think is pretty reasonable.

Last edited by newending; Apr 10, 2019 at 4:47 pm Reason: formatting, extra info
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by newending
Departure Airport: SFO/SJC/OAK/SMF (can re-position to LAX/LAS etc. if needed)
Miles Needed: 45K-50K MQMs, maximize MQMs
Required Spend or Budget: ~$3000
Available Travel Dates: Anytime 2019 besides May 24-28 and July 4th weekend and middle of August
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Yes, just looking for MQMs

Hey everyone! I'm looking for a flight or set of flights I can take to achieve the 50K MQMs remaining I need for Plat this year.
  • I prefer a immediate turnaround (a weekend is okay too). I'm looking for a pure mileage run, I don't even need to leave the airport haha. The preference is to avoid taking days off work but I'm flexible.
  • I've tried to work around SIN routes but I'm probably not doing it as correctly as I could be. Open to any routes that don't require an extra visa.
  • I'm open to positional flights as well if it will get me a better deal.
  • Travel can happen at any time during the week but like most people, I would prefer near the weekend so I don't have to take days off, but this is only a preference.
  • It can be a set of flights if necessary (e.g. SFO-SIN-SFO on 1 week and then SFO-BKK-SFO on a different week).
  • Travel can be in any fare class, Business/Economy/whatever gets the MQMs! Business is probably preferred so I don't have to take as many flights but if you've got a good economy fair I'm down.
Let me know what other information you guys need! My budget is ~6.5 cents per mile which I think is pretty reasonable.
SFO-SIN on China Eastern has prices at $585 for weekend travel in November. Each trip is about 19,000 MQMs. Search on Expedia.com (e.g. Nov. 15 - 17)

SFO-JNB on Virgin Atlantic, $1165 for Economy Delight fare, earns about 26,000 MQMs. Various dates from May to end of year (e.g. May 4 - 6). Search on Virgin Atlantic website, flexible date search.

If you want to fly on Delta, then there are sub $1000 fares to JNB or Cape Town (immediate turn) sprinkled between now until end of year. Also, low $600 fares to SIN starting in August to end of year. Use Delta flexible date search.

Last edited by canuck_traveler; Apr 10, 2019 at 9:54 pm Reason: add Delta options
Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:10 am

Thank you Canuck TRaveller

Last edited by TonyTone; Apr 11, 2019 at 6:13 am Reason: forgot user
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:46 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
Departure Airport:JFK/EWR/LGA/PHL/ABE/SWF
Miles Needed: 25000+
Required Spend or Budget: 1500-2000USD
Available Travel Dates:7/3-7/9
Required Metal or Codeshares okay* Codeshares are okay.

Can leave out of the NYC airports or even the surrounding areas.

Just looking for a nice 4th of July MR. Destination is totally flexible. Just want to find a good EQD run basically and make a nice little trip out of it.

Thanks for any tips.
I have been searching a fair bit on my own. Guess there really aren't any unicorns I missed ex-NYC?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
I have been searching a fair bit on my own. Guess there really aren't any unicorns I missed ex-NYC?
Delta - July 5 - 7, JFK-SYD, $1320, 19,900 miles, Economy

Virgin Atlantic - July 5 - 7, JFK-JNB, $2050, 22,000 miles, Economy Delight

China Eastern - July 5 - 7, JFK-SIN, $1200, 21,000 miles, Economy

China Eastern - July 5 - 8, JFK-DEL, $1170, 23,000 miles, Economy

China Eastern - July 4 - 7, JFK-SYD, $2005, 24,000 miles, Economy

China Eastern, July 4-7, JFK-MLE, $1500, 22,000 miles, Economy

China Eastern, July 4 - 8, JFK-AKL, $1725, 26,000 miles, Economy

China Eastern flights found on Expedia.com

Last edited by canuck_traveler; Apr 13, 2019 at 4:33 pm Reason: add Auckland option and note where to find it
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by canuck_traveler
JAX-LIH, $758 (basic economy) / $888 (Main Cabin), about 10,000 MQMs, immediate turn, search on Delta with departure as Jun 11 and return as Jun 11

JAX-JFK-SAN-DTW-JAX, $392 (MC), about 6000 MQMs, immediate turn, search on Delta with departure as Jun 11 and return as Jun 11 (JAX-SAN)
Same date but Prem Econ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.