Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

DL/Sky Team: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*:

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A SEPARATE THREAD.

----

NOTE: You will have greater chances of success if you have greater flexibility on travel dates and cost. If you need a lot of MQMs on weekends only for < 5 cpm it probably won't happen.

Other creative possibilities depending how many MQMs you need:
----

*"Required Metal or Codeshares" is, approximately, asking whether you need a flight operated specifically by Delta or if partner flights are ok. If you are just looking for MQMs to hit a Medallion tier the normal way, then the answer is yes. If you are doing a status challenge, the answer is also probably yes, but read the T&C of your challenge carefully to be sure (for the regular status challenge the answer is also "yes")

NOTE: some partner flights earn MQMs at reduced rates. See this chart for more info.

Newcomers may also be interested in the FlyerTalk Glossary
Print Wikipost

DL/Sky Team: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2019, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by jnyeung
HI, I am looking for recommendations for a mileage run before the end of the year from BOS. I need 15K MQM miles to obtain gold. my MQD are okay. Preferably over Xmas or Thanksgiving week-end, but other weekends are also okay.
thanks
Jnyeung
For weekend only travel, several considerations costing close to the same:
1) a run to Hawaii for about 10,000 MQMS and then a second to the West Coast to pick up the remaining 5000 MQMs. e.g. Nov 16, BOS-OGG, $621, about 10,000 MQMs, Dec 7 BOS-LAX, $315, 5100 MQMs
2) two trips to Anchorage (a little under 8000 MQMs each trip) e.g. Nov 16, $421, immediate turn in Anchorage arriving back in Boston on the 17th
3) three trips to the West Coast (LAX, SFO)

To do it all in one MR:

Virgin Atlantic, Nov 9 - 10, BOS-JNB, $715 (Classic Economy), 17,000 MQMs, depart Saturday arriving back in Boston Monday evening
Old Oct 28, 2019, 7:54 am

Hello,

I'm looking for a quick and cheap mileage run to reach Delta Gold. I'm good on MQD's but need 2500 MQM before year end from RDU.

Thanks.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by donsun
Hello,

I'm looking for a quick and cheap mileage run to reach Delta Gold. I'm good on MQD's but need 2500 MQM before year end from RDU.

Thanks.
RDU-SEA, from $191 BE. Near immediate turn, select dates in November and December, primarily Tues/Wed. To find, go to Google Flights and create some search for RDU-SEA. Filter on Delta, then click on the dates field and at bottom of calendar, change to "0 day trips" (or whatever time interval you like if you want to make a trip out of it) and check the calendar for available dates/fares.

You might also be able to stick in an extra leg to JFK or some other hub as well with an overnight stay - see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30683337-post9.html

If you have access, you can chill out in the SC or Cent lounge.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 4:03 pm

Hello -

Looking for some help hitting Diamond by end of year. Looking to knock this out in one trip over a long weekend if possible in business class.

Departure Airport: Flexible, closest airport is ATL
Miles Needed: ~25k MQMs
Required Spend or Budget: No MQD requirement, trying to keep costs under $4k
Available Travel Dates: December
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: As long as MQMs clear
Old Oct 28, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriot gold, hyatt globalist
Departure Airport: DSM or MSP or MCI
Miles Needed: 15,700 miles needed & $1550 dollars
Required Spend or Budget: $1000
Available Travel Dates: all of December
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: has to be booked through delta (doing status challenge)

I would prefer to keep flights within the US & to have the newest aircraft/comfortability as possible

thx

Last edited by fielder; Oct 28, 2019 at 5:22 pm
Old Oct 28, 2019, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Lee1226
Hello -

Looking for some help hitting Diamond by end of year. Looking to knock this out in one trip over a long weekend if possible in business class.

Departure Airport: Flexible, closest airport is ATL
Miles Needed: ~25k MQMs
Required Spend or Budget: No MQD requirement, trying to keep costs under $4k
Available Travel Dates: December
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: As long as MQMs clear
To earn 25,000 MQMs even in business class means flying about 17,000 miles (e.g. JNB, BKK, SIN, etc.)

One consideration:

Nov 21 - 25, Delta - ATL-JFK-ATL, $349 (MC) or $543 (FC), depart ATL in the evening of 21st
Nov 22 - 24, China Eastern, JFK-SIN-JFK, $3096 (Business class), requires 1 day stay in Singapore - 26.5 hours, 29,000 MQMs, flight depart JFK shortly after midnight and arrives back in JFK afternoon of 25th, bookable on Expedia
pdxkat likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by fielder
Departure Airport: DSM or MSP or MCI
Miles Needed: 15,700 miles needed & $1550 dollars
Required Spend or Budget: $1000
Available Travel Dates: all of December
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: has to be booked through delta (doing status challenge)

I would prefer to keep flights within the US & to have the newest aircraft/comfortability as possible

thx
If staying domestic, then you are most likely not able to meet your $1000 budget requirement since it is only partner airlines that give MQDs based on mileage. You will probably be looking at two trips to Hawaii or one in business class.

e.g. Dec 9, DSM-KOA, $1832 (First), $1711 MQDs, 15,200 MQMs

Two thoughts if you are able to travel out of country but both require a positioning flight to the East Coast

1. Reposition to JFK, BOS or IAD and then fly Virgin Atlantic to JNB in Economy Delight (between $900 - $1000) to earn required MQMs and MQDs, e.g. Dec 6 8, IAD-JNB, $909, over $4000 MQDs and 22,000 MQMs, bookable on Virgin Atlantic website

2. Reposition to JFK then fly China Eastern to SIN, e.g. Dec 2 - 4, JFK-SIN, $578 (booking classes V-B-B-V) earning over $2000 MQDs and about 20,000 MQMs, bookable on Expedia (various other dates available)
fielder likes this.

Last edited by canuck_traveler; Oct 28, 2019 at 5:57 pm Reason: add domestic option
Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:03 pm

Helping my dad requalify for platinum--he messed up by doing too many mile redemption flights this year not realizing they didn't count toward MQM. If buying up to first is the way to go, he's ok with that. I found a $1200 route to Hawaii in a quick search at work today, but am looking to do better than that. Thanks for your help!

Departure Airport: OMA
Miles Needed: 12,000 MQMs
Required Spend or Budget: Whatever it takes, hopefully less than $1000.
Available Travel Dates: November 11-12, 18-19, December 2-3, 9-12
Yes

Edit: I should add that he would prefer to do this in one trip on any of those dates.

Last edited by HuskerFlyer1; Oct 28, 2019 at 9:08 pm
Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond
Departure Airport: NYC (JFK/EWR/LGA)
Miles Needed: 17,000 MQM
Required Spend or Budget: No Req Spend
Available Travel Dates: Ideally weekend/long weekends but flexible
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Flexible

Wouldn't be opposed to driving to PHL as well if theres an attractive cheap J fare. Think a JFK-SIN would be my best bet but wanted to double check. Don't have a China visa either.

Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriot gold, hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by canuck_traveler
If staying domestic, then you are most likely not able to meet your $1000 budget requirement since it is only partner airlines that give MQDs based on mileage. You will probably be looking at two trips to Hawaii or one in business class.

e.g. Dec 9, DSM-KOA, $1832 (First), $1711 MQDs, 15,200 MQMs

Two thoughts if you are able to travel out of country but both require a positioning flight to the East Coast

1. Reposition to JFK, BOS or IAD and then fly Virgin Atlantic to JNB in Economy Delight (between $900 - $1000) to earn required MQMs and MQDs, e.g. Dec 6 8, IAD-JNB, $909, over $4000 MQDs and 22,000 MQMs, bookable on Virgin Atlantic website

2. Reposition to JFK then fly China Eastern to SIN, e.g. Dec 2 - 4, JFK-SIN, $578 (booking classes V-B-B-V) earning over $2000 MQDs and about 20,000 MQMs, bookable on Expedia (various other dates available)
When I called to ask about the details of the status match, they mentioned I must book through deltas website in order to have qualifying miles & dollars, not any of their partners
Old Oct 28, 2019, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by fielder
When I called to ask about the details of the status match, they mentioned I must book through deltas website in order to have qualifying miles & dollars, not any of their partners
Strange. The Delta website with the details of the challenge: https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...atch-challenge states that Partner airlines flights can be used during the status match challenge.

Can anyone who has done the status challenge comment?
Old Oct 28, 2019, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by HuskerFlyer1
Helping my dad requalify for platinum--he messed up by doing too many mile redemption flights this year not realizing they didn't count toward MQM. If buying up to first is the way to go, he's ok with that. I found a $1200 route to Hawaii in a quick search at work today, but am looking to do better than that. Thanks for your help!

Departure Airport: OMA
Miles Needed: 12,000 MQMs
Required Spend or Budget: Whatever it takes, hopefully less than $1000.
Available Travel Dates: November 11-12, 18-19, December 2-3, 9-12
Yes

Edit: I should add that he would prefer to do this in one trip on any of those dates.
If Nov 20 is free then Nov 18 - 20, OMA-TPE, $860, 16,900 MQMs

Dec 9 - 11, OMA-TPE, $1009, 16,900 MQMs

If your dad has a Chinese visa, then PEK and PVG are both under $1000 for Dec 9 - 11

Last edited by canuck_traveler; Oct 28, 2019 at 10:51 pm Reason: add China options
Old Oct 28, 2019, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by redstapler11
Departure Airport: NYC (JFK/EWR/LGA)
Miles Needed: 17,000 MQM
Required Spend or Budget: No Req Spend
Available Travel Dates: Ideally weekend/long weekends but flexible
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Flexible

Wouldn't be opposed to driving to PHL as well if theres an attractive cheap J fare. Think a JFK-SIN would be my best bet but wanted to double check. Don't have a China visa either.

Thanks for your help!
Virgin Atlantic to JNB is an option - 18,000 MQMs (Economy Classic - $734), various Saturday departures in November, bookable on Virgin Atlantic website

e.g. Nov 9 - 10, $734, departs Saturday, arrives back in JFK Monday morning, about 10 hours in JNB
Old Oct 29, 2019, 7:39 am

Departure Airport: MSP
Miles Needed: 17,000
Required Spend or Budget: ~$1000 or less preferred, already met spend
Available Travel Dates: schedule is clear through the end of the year
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: n/a

Last edited by MSP6338; Oct 29, 2019 at 9:07 am Reason: clarification
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by MSP6338
Departure Airport: MSP
Miles Needed: 17,000
Required Spend or Budget: ~$1000 or less preferred, already met spend
Available Travel Dates: schedule is clear through the end of the year
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: n/a
Take a look at post #637 (repositioning to New York)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.