Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

DL/Sky Team: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*:

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A SEPARATE THREAD.

----

NOTE: You will have greater chances of success if you have greater flexibility on travel dates and cost. If you need a lot of MQMs on weekends only for < 5 cpm it probably won't happen.

Other creative possibilities depending how many MQMs you need:
----

*"Required Metal or Codeshares" is, approximately, asking whether you need a flight operated specifically by Delta or if partner flights are ok. If you are just looking for MQMs to hit a Medallion tier the normal way, then the answer is yes. If you are doing a status challenge, the answer is also probably yes, but read the T&C of your challenge carefully to be sure (for the regular status challenge the answer is also "yes")

NOTE: some partner flights earn MQMs at reduced rates. See this chart for more info.

Newcomers may also be interested in the FlyerTalk Glossary
Print Wikipost

DL/Sky Team: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2019, 5:53 pm

Help!!!!

Departure Airport: Anywhere in US to maximiaze
Miles Needed:35,000 (can split)
Required Spend or Budget: $1500
Available Travel Dates: nov - dec
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: yes
Old Oct 15, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: a lot of them
You rock! Thank you
Old Oct 15, 2019, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by ATLpat
Departure Airport: TPA is home airport. Easy drive to MCO or MIA. Open to positioning as well as needed.
Miles Needed: no MQM's needed, but more never hurt; need 4,500 MQD
Required Spend or Budget: As low as possible; don't have a cabin preference
Available Travel Dates: Available any time to fly
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Codeshares fine with me.

Good afternoon! I'm a Tampa based DL flier. I rely heavily on rollover and credit cards for MQM's. I'm projected to finish the year around 150k MQM's, but will be well short on MQD. The $250k AMEX spend waiver is not realistic for me. Given my efforts to minimize cash outflow, I think flying on a partner flight that earns MQD based on distance flown would be my best bet. The XXX-LHR-JNB on VS seems to be a common suggestion here. Out of JFK, I think that would be roughly 5,500 MQD.
MIA-JNB, Virgin Atlantic, Dec 7 - 9, $1044 (Economy Delight), $4900 MQD, 24,000+ MQM
Old Oct 15, 2019, 8:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Jim Bowlin
hi. Looking to maintain Platinum status. I think my best bet is HNL for a little over 9000, but I am open to other suggestions!

Departure Airport: Cincinnati-CVG
Miles Needed: 10,000
Required Spend or Budget: 1000
Available Travel Dates: Any
I'm confused. If you need 10,000 MQMs, how does it help you to earn 9,000 MQMs on a trip to HNL? You would still need another trip, which could be very expensive.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Jim Bowlin
hi. Looking to maintain Platinum status. I think my best bet is HNL for a little over 9000, but I am open to other suggestions!

Departure Airport: Cincinnati-CVG
Miles Needed: 10,000
Required Spend or Budget: 1000
Available Travel Dates: Any
CVG-TPE, $831 (various Monday departures in November), 16,000 MQMs, Delta - flexible calendar search with trip duration 3 days
Old Oct 16, 2019, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by choklit
Departure Airport: LAX or close by, Tokyo, beginning of December
Miles Needed: 13611 for at least Silver. MQD waived
Required Spend or Budget: Low as possible, but I'll pay for J fares for less "air" time
Available Travel Dates: Available any time to fly
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Codeshares fine with me.

Good day, all. Here's my dilemma: I want to hit Platinum again and I see the flights from LAX-SIN, on MU. The price is nice, as well. I am 13611 miles away from Silver. We have 2.5 months left to go in the year. (I know, I know, waited too long.) What would be a good strategy here for maintaining status? Can I book 2 tickets on the same MU flight and get credited for both? (Probably not.) Fly the 3 trips from LA to Singapore? I live in Thailand and have seen Singapore so many times! I'm going to Tokyo at the end of November. Possible run from there the beginning of December? Any reasonable J fares to maintain status? I'm 6'5", 300lbs, and not trying to sit in a middle economy seat. I know the pros are in here and I appreciate any input you may have. Safe travels!
To hit Platinum, you need an additional 64,000 MQMs if you are currently short about 14,000 for Silver

The cheapest is probably to fly LAX-SIN on China Eastern a few times as you mentioned. To add some variety, you could fly to LAX-KUL or LAX-HKT for about the same amount of miles. All routes seem to be available in the $500 range in November

Virgin Atlantic, LAX-JNB (economy classic since you don't need to worry about MQD) is also an option at $808 and will get you 22,000 MQMs. Economy Delight is $1028, will get you 27,000 MQMs and has a 34" seat pitch (vs 31" in Classic)

Last edited by canuck_traveler; Oct 16, 2019 at 6:35 am
Old Oct 16, 2019, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by BeatBoy04
Departure Airport: Anywhere in US to maximiaze
Miles Needed:35,000 (can split)
Required Spend or Budget: $1500
Available Travel Dates: nov - dec
Two trips to SIN from JFK or LAX will get you the needed MQMs. China Eastern flights are available in the $500 - $600 range. Bookable on Expedia
Old Oct 16, 2019, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by britta94177
Departure Airport: ATL
Miles Needed: 11k MQM
Required Spend or Budget: as low as possible, ~$500
Available Travel Dates: Nov 1-4, Nov 22-25, Dec 6-8, Dec 20-22
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Skyteam

Looking to do a MR to earn the last 11k MQMs needed to secure Platinum. Ideally this would be done one day but I am flexible. Okay with domestic and international.
You would need to fly about 7500 miles in Business class to get the 11k MQMs in one day. Return trip to Hawaii will do it.

I imagine that you will need about $1000 to achieve the desired miles flying economy class

e.g

Dec 6-7, ATL-LIH, $717 (Basic Economy), about 9700 MQM, immediate turn in LIH on Dec 6 arriving back in ATL on December 7
Dec 8, ATL-DFW, $147 (Basic Economy), about 1500 MQMs
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: DL Diamond, DL Amex Reserve, AMEX Plat, + GE & Clear
Originally Posted by canuck_traveler
You could take a repositioning flight to LAX and then do two MR to JNB on Virgin Atlantic in Economy Delight earning a little over 27,000 MQMs each run. Weekend departure in Economy Delight class in November are available for $1028 ($1008 from SFO.)

For a little less money, take a repositioning flight to JFK and then do two MR to SIN on China Eastern earning about 21,000 MQMs each run. JFK-SIN tickets are available in the $500 - $700 range for November travel. Then pick up the remaining 8000 MQMs with a trip to Hawaii.

Thanks for the response canuck_traveler - If I go for the first option for example, would I need to book through Virgin Atlantic site and then ask Delta for the mileage to be credited afterwards? Last time I flew Virgin to London, I had to call Delta twice to make sure I got credit for my mileage even though I booked it with my sky miles number on the ticket and used their app. Forgive my ignorance, I usually make Diamond with butt-in-seat mileage in a year, so rarely need to do a MR; much of this is new to me!

ALSO - I forgot to mention, have remaining GLOBAL upgrade certs that I have not used.....
Old Oct 16, 2019, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Hossy
Thanks for the response canuck_traveler - If I go for the first option for example, would I need to book through Virgin Atlantic site and then ask Delta for the mileage to be credited afterwards? Last time I flew Virgin to London, I had to call Delta twice to make sure I got credit for my mileage even though I booked it with my sky miles number on the ticket and used their app. Forgive my ignorance, I usually make Diamond with butt-in-seat mileage in a year, so rarely need to do a MR; much of this is new to me!

ALSO - I forgot to mention, have remaining GLOBAL upgrade certs that I have not used.....
Sorry to hear that you had trouble getting mileage credited to Delta. When booking on the Virgin Atlantic website, under the frequent flyer section - I have simply selected Delta and given my SkyMiles number.

As for using up GUC, you could call up the Diamond desk and see where there is upgrade space on some of these longer routes (e.g. SIN, JNB).
Old Oct 16, 2019, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Sorry to hear that you had trouble getting mileage credited to Delta. When booking on the Virgin Atlantic website, under the frequent flyer section - I have simply selected Delta and given my SkyMiles number.

As for using up GUC, you could call up the Diamond desk and see where there is upgrade space on some of these longer routes (e.g. SIN, JNB).
Start by reading the T&Cs for your GUCs. They can only be used on DL (IIRC all fare classes except basic economy) and a few other partners, some of which require very high and expensive fare classes. A lot of partner upgrade inventory can be checked on EF (but not for DL metal of course).
Old Oct 16, 2019, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hossy

You can only use GUC's on VS operated flights if they are marketed by DL. If you buy the flights on the VS website, the flights will be VS marketed and you won't be able to use your GUC's with them. You will want to buy them from delta.com and make sure they have DL flight numbers on them (which means they are DL marketed). You need to carefully read the GUC T&C's.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HH Diamond, Delta Platinum
canuck_traveler, thank you, once again, for coming through with routes. I might do the KUL route, as I'm tired of Singapore. KUL has some good food, and Penang, as well! HKT is cool, but I live a few hours from there. JNB would be nice, but if I can get 2 flights for the price of 1, I'll take that. Going to use my Chase UR to book it, so, I can get the miles, too! Thank you, once again!
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by choklit
canuck_traveler, thank you, once again, for coming through with routes. I might do the KUL route, as I'm tired of Singapore. KUL has some good food, and Penang, as well! HKT is cool, but I live a few hours from there. JNB would be nice, but if I can get 2 flights for the price of 1, I'll take that. Going to use my Chase UR to book it, so, I can get the miles, too! Thank you, once again!
Some China Eastern flights to MLE (Maldives) in November are also in the $500 range. A few more miles than to SIN.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HH Diamond, Delta Platinum
Some China Eastern flights to MLE (Maldives) in November are also in the $500 range. A few more miles than to SIN.
You know what? I have a Hilton cert to burn, too.. Hmmmmm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.