Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 10, 19, 4:27 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Pat89339
Wiki Link
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 5, 19, 7:03 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Southwest A-List Preferred, Delta Plat, SPG Plat
Hey thanks. Didn't think about flying business. Does Basic Economy flights get you .5 EQMs or do you still earn 1?
Old Sep 5, 19, 7:02 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, AA Plat, SPG/Marriott Plat Premier, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by wjnelson04 View Post
Hey thanks. Didn't think about flying business. Does Basic Economy flights get you .5 EQMs or do you still earn 1?
Basic economy earns 0.5 EQM.

With first class pricing becoming much more "reasonable," it's often much better to buy first (which earns at least 2.0 EQM). Certainly, if you don't have a lot of time to do a lot of flying, it's worth considering—and I've found that sometimes first is less than 2x regular economy.
Old Sep 5, 19, 11:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Southwest A-List Preferred, Delta Plat, SPG Plat
Thanks. I don't mind the flying and have the time next weekend. Found a flight from ORD-MIA-SAL (El Savador) in business for $790. What is the general thought on what AA Plat is worth? Do you guys feel it is worth it to pay $790 for platinum status through Jan 31 2021? I typically fly twice a year internationally and about 6-9 times domestically.
Old Sep 6, 19, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by wjnelson04 View Post
Thanks. I don't mind the flying and have the time next weekend. Found a flight from ORD-MIA-SAL (El Savador) in business for $790. What is the general thought on what AA Plat is worth? Do you guys feel it is worth it to pay $790 for platinum status through Jan 31 2021? I typically fly twice a year internationally and about 6-9 times domestically.
In my opinion the main benefits of Plat are lounge access when flying international and free MCE at booking (as long as you’re not booking basic economy). You also get 2 free checked bags, priority access and boarding, free standby, more redeemable miles, some award fees waived (e.g., close-in ticketing fees), and of course the possibility of domestic upgrades (although the probability will vary depending on your routes). Depending on how much you would value each of these things, $790 could be worth it and it could not. For example, if you would pay for MCE seating on all your trips next year, that could be $800 right there (assuming $100 avg per round trip, or $50 per one way). Standby is usually $75 without status. Two checked bags, if memory serves, would cost around $70 per one way domestically if flying economy (varies for international depending on destination and type of ticket). Etc.
Old Sep 8, 19, 9:28 am

Programs: AA
Options from NYC to BKK or elsewhere

Howdy - Currently a Plat Pro, but I haven't even earned Gold for next year as a big trip that I had planned that was cancelled.

Departure Airport: NYC (LGA, JFK, EWR), PHL Willing to reposition
Miles Needed: 7741 for Gold; 32,741 Platinum
Required Spend or Budget: 1681 for Gold; 4681 for Platinum
Available Travel Dates: September 12 - December 31
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Since I am so short on EDQs, I am thinking it needs to be AA ticketed, at least. Not sure.

Obviously, I have some flexibility. There is an actual trip I could fit into all this that I am on the fence about. NYC - BKK Arrive by Oct 15 - Depart by Oct 20 can leave early, stay late or muck about with stops and layovers.

hanks!
Old Sep 8, 19, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by oliviaso View Post
Howdy - Currently a Plat Pro, but I haven't even earned Gold for next year as a big trip that I had planned that was cancelled.

Departure Airport: NYC (LGA, JFK, EWR), PHL Willing to reposition
Miles Needed: 7741 for Gold; 32,741 Platinum
Required Spend or Budget: 1681 for Gold; 4681 for Platinum
Available Travel Dates: September 12 - December 31
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Since I am so short on EDQs, I am thinking it needs to be AA ticketed, at least. Not sure.

Obviously, I have some flexibility. There is an actual trip I could fit into all this that I am on the fence about. NYC - BKK Arrive by Oct 15 - Depart by Oct 20 can leave early, stay late or muck about with stops and layovers.

hanks!
If you need a lot of EQDs you're likely better off flying premium cabins on partner airlines. How about JFK-HEL-BKK on Oct 13, returning BKK-HEL-LHR-JFK October 19 in AY Biz class?

https://www.google.com/flights#flt=/...3*2.USD.312923

$3130 all in. Earns 37,104 EQMs and 4638 EQDs.

Leaves you just short of your 4681 EQDs, but you could just grab a quick turnaound from NYC to BOS, CLT, PIT, WAS, etc. for less than $150 on various dates in December to make that up.
Old Sep 10, 19, 1:11 am

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA EXP, AS MVP75K GOLD, HHonors Diamond, BW Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by oliviaso View Post
Not required at all. What you need to look at are the partner earnings charts.
Old Sep 10, 19, 11:43 am

Arrow Help with AA Mileage Run

Hi, sorry if I am not following protocol I am new to Flyertalk.

Here is the story:
I am Platinum Pro with American.
In January of 2019, I had to relocate from NYC to Detroit for work. Just for 2019. And will be moving back in 2020.
This role has greatly reduced my need to travel for work, and reduced my mileage accruals this year.
But I dont want to wait until 2021 to get the benefits back. So I am interested in a mileage run to get me back to PP for next year.

I have about 10k EQMs so far this year. And can count on another 15k from work. So, I need a run for 50k points.
I have a solid number of CC points that can help with this. About 200k with Chase and another 150k with American Express (just used about 140k to fly Lufthansa first round trip to BCN on 7 segments and am happy to give advice on award travel as I am very experienced at using credit card points for mileage bank transfers. But have no experience with Special Fares or using points to buy tickets with miles.
I am also willing to pay. As much as $5k on top of the points utilization.

What I am wondering is, how do I find the ideal flights, ideally in business or first, for a multisegment or round trip, high mileage accruing, low cost flight? I have found deals on flights following TPG. Things like ORD to Doha on Qatar on discount that I could book via Chase Portal for $3k in points (200,000 points x 1.5) which would give as much as 35,000 points with segments built in. But I am a newbie to mileage runs and points, and wanted to go to where the experts are.

Any assistance on the tools, sites and process for doing this would be wonderful.

Thank you,

Will

YTD I have only 10k EQMs
Old Sep 10, 19, 5:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Departure Airport: DFW
Segments Needed: 7-10
Required Spend or Budget: As little as possible
Available Travel Dates: Today through end of year
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Must earn EQS
Old Sep 10, 19, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by willroland View Post
Hi, sorry if I am not following protocol I am new to Flyertalk.

Here is the story:
I am Platinum Pro with American.
In January of 2019, I had to relocate from NYC to Detroit for work. Just for 2019. And will be moving back in 2020.
This role has greatly reduced my need to travel for work, and reduced my mileage accruals this year.
But I dont want to wait until 2021 to get the benefits back. So I am interested in a mileage run to get me back to PP for next year.

I have about 10k EQMs so far this year. And can count on another 15k from work. So, I need a run for 50k points.
I have a solid number of CC points that can help with this. About 200k with Chase and another 150k with American Express (just used about 140k to fly Lufthansa first round trip to BCN on 7 segments and am happy to give advice on award travel as I am very experienced at using credit card points for mileage bank transfers. But have no experience with Special Fares or using points to buy tickets with miles.
I am also willing to pay. As much as $5k on top of the points utilization.

What I am wondering is, how do I find the ideal flights, ideally in business or first, for a multisegment or round trip, high mileage accruing, low cost flight? I have found deals on flights following TPG. Things like ORD to Doha on Qatar on discount that I could book via Chase Portal for $3k in points (200,000 points x 1.5) which would give as much as 35,000 points with segments built in. But I am a newbie to mileage runs and points, and wanted to go to where the experts are.

Any assistance on the tools, sites and process for doing this would be wonderful.

Thank you,

Will

YTD I have only 10k EQMs
You don't say where you are with EQDs, but in general I would look at AY J from YYZ to Southeast Asia—SIN would give you the most miles/EQD but it's easier to find the cheap I fares to BKK. HKG, ICN or NRT are also options (although the latter two require an overnight in HEL or LHR on the return). From Detroit, it's pretty easy to position to YYZ, I imagine. You could drive.

One roundtrip would give you ~38,000 EQMs and ~4800 EQDs, depending on your destination.
Old Sep 11, 19, 3:34 pm

Departure Airport(s): ORD / MKE but could easily position
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 12500 Plat / 20000 Plat Pro

EQDs Needed: $2000 plat / $3000 plat pro
Max Budget: hopefully <$2000
Available Travel Dates: Sept to December
Max # Travel Nights: 10
AA only, or Partners Okay: partners ok
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): nope

Hi! Thank you in advance for your help. I've been playing with AA and am having some trouble keeping to my budget. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Sep 12, 19, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA; Marriott; AK
Thanks!! (to flyingeph12)
Old Sep 13, 19, 4:57 pm

PHX run need miles not spend

Got a the status special, goal is to get back to EXP now that I fly for work again. EQD on the program is as good as done by 12/31, just need the EQM's

Departure Airport(s): PHX
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 25000
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget: 1000 USD
Available Travel Dates: November-December
Max # Travel Nights:2
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners OK, no basic economy
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): no
Old Sep 14, 19, 5:22 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AAdvantage
MSP run need miles not spend. Need to get before 9/25

Want to maintain status. Close to my goal.
Departure Airport(s): MSP
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 7800
EQDs Needed: none
Max Budget: 1500 USD
Available Travel Dates: now-sept 24th.
Max # Travel Nights: 4
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners OK
Old Sep 15, 19, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by LJMSP View Post
Want to maintain status. Close to my goal.
Departure Airport(s): MSP
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 7800
EQDs Needed: none
Max Budget: 1500 USD
Available Travel Dates: now-sept 24th.
Max # Travel Nights: 4
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners OK
Same day turn to HNL next Saturday, 9/21 is $1002. Would net 8,974 EQM.
MSP-DFW-LAX-HNL-LAX-PHX-MSP

Search this Thread