Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Essendonfooty
Departure Airport: PUS (primary); ICN/GMP, NRT
Miles Needed: 10,000
Required Spend or Budget: $2500 EQD; no budget really but $1500 actual spend would be incredible
Available Travel Dates: 30 Sep - 10 December
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: JL/AA/ BA/AY/IB
Max # Travel Nights: 2 (probably obviously, but quick turns are nice)
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N

Just seeing if anyone has any suggestions for a quick flight to boost to EXP - doing an AA/Hyatt challenge later this year because why not and will hit PP but figured might as well consider maxing out. Based in KR but NRT is cheap and close. Would generally say JL preferred..
Is CX PE to MAD okay? https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=...0*2.USD.122590
Old Aug 19, 2019, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by gamefreakgcb
Thank you for your explanation.

My last question would be this: Will I be able to ear 13,000 EQM's and 1,300 EQD's before the deadline of 25 Sept? The prices above total out to around 1800 - 2100 for the entire journey (depending on the options). And from my understanding, only the stuff that happens before 25 Sept will post to the account prior to the deadline.
Yes. Please check the calculations yourself, all the outbounds added together should suffice.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by beershack
Departure Airport(s): BWI/DCA/IAD/PHL/NYC
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 0
EQDs Needed: 1382
Max Budget: Low as possible
Available Travel Dates: Sep 22-Oct 20 (Prefer midweek)
Max # Travel Nights: 3
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners Okay
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N
JL O EWR-DFW/BOS-NRT-MNL 6 Oct, returning MNL-NRT-SEA-EWR 8 Oct, $765 on JL website
beershack likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Unionruler
JL O EWR-DFW/BOS-NRT-MNL 6 Oct, returning MNL-NRT-SEA-EWR 8 Oct, $765 on JL website
Awesome. Thank you
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:47 am

I wish cx was eligible! Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately cx isn't part of the challenge. I don't know why it isn't.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by Essendonfooty
I wish cx was eligible! Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately cx isn't part of the challenge. I don't know why it isn't.
BA T/ IB K, 1 night turn in Tenerife North (TFN)? Prices out at $1,220 on Expedia, haven't tried other ways so you might be able to find it for cheaper
https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=...7*2.USD.116951
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:06 am

Yes. Please check the calculations yourself, all the outbounds added together should suffice.
Thank you.

I find the BA website to be completely useless trying to book. ITA site looks better and shows all options. Is that OK to look there?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:42 pm

Thank you.

I find the BA website to be completely useless trying to book. ITA site looks better and shows all options. Is that OK to look there?
Re your situation, whatever is on the BA website is bookable and prices instantly. Sure you can look at ITAmatrix, just take it with a pinch of salt because there's some phantom availability.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:12 am

BA T/ IB K, 1 night turn in Tenerife North (TFN)? Prices out at $1,220 on Expedia, haven't tried other ways so you might be able to find it for cheaper
https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=...7*2.USD.116951
Wow this is brilliant, thank you! Sounds like fun with a fun, quick stopover.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:44 am

Re your situation, whatever is on the BA website is bookable and prices instantly. Sure you can look at ITAmatrix, just take it with a pinch of salt because there's some phantom availability.
Is there anyway to bypass the "180 minute rule"? BA is not allowing to book a flight with less time than that during the segments.

This is the lowest I see with PE option.

And this is economy TATL pricing.

Last edited by gamefreakgcb; Aug 21, 2019 at 7:29 am Reason: Trying to add image
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, Hyatt Explorist, JetBlue Mosaic, Wyndham Diamond, National Executive Elite
Departure Airport(s):SNA would be nice but open to any SoCal
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 4590
EQDs Needed: 395
Max Budget: minimum to achieve goal
Available Travel Dates: weekends
Max # Travel Nights: overnight travel is OK but no hotels
AA only, or Partners Okay: Whatever gets what I need for AA
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):N

Already booked ONT-SAT for this weekend in first to get roughly 7k EQM's and 460 EQD's but I figure it's best to check with the professionals here to ensure I am making the correct call. TIA
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Is there anyway to bypass the "180 minute rule"? BA is not allowing to book a flight with less time than that during the segments.

This is the lowest I see with PE option.

[Image deleted]

And this is economy TATL pricing.

[Image deleted]
YYZ-JNB // JNB-JFK is C$2122 (US$1600) in PE, departing on 24 Sep and returning 2 Oct. The LHR-JNB flight departs on the evening of 25 Sep and arrives morning of 26 Sep, so I think that should fall within your challenge period (although I might call and double check). The outbound alone (YYZ-LHR-JNB) should net 13,765 EQMs and 1835 EQDs. I would use miles to position to YYZ (it's a late evening departure from YYZ, so timing should work out well).

Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
YYZ-JNB // JNB-JFK is C$2122 (US$1600) in PE, departing on 24 Sep and returning 2 Oct. The LHR-JNB flight departs on the evening of 25 Sep and arrives morning of 26 Sep, so I think that should fall within your challenge period (although I might call and double check). The outbound alone (YYZ-LHR-JNB) should net 13,765 EQMs and 1835 EQDs. I would use miles to position to YYZ (it's a late evening departure from YYZ, so timing should work out well).

<IMAGE REMOVED>
Very nice.

Are you sure though that the price showing in the image is CAD?

I found an I class flight for the YYZ-LHR-JNB segment and the return flight JNB-LHR-JFK is in Q class. Total cost $2613 ($440 more than the one in your post) and on the dates I can actually fly without missing extra days of work.

According to AA's earn chart for partner airlines here, https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...sh-airways.jsp

I should expect to earn 18,340 EQM's (2 EQM's per mile flown) and 2,292 EQD's (25% per mile flown) for the YYZ-LHR-JNB segment. AA could not actually answer how much I can actually earn as the booking is for a partner airline not booked on AA's site. The only thing they were able to confirm is that even though the flight is technically ending on 26 September, they take into account when the segment began, so I should expect to have both segments count before the deadline.

I've put the flight on hold for 72 hours hoping to get some sort of confirmation on the amounts earned.

Appreciated everyone's help in this matter.

Last edited by gamefreakgcb; Aug 23, 2019 at 10:39 am Reason: Clarifying point.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist

Very nice.

Are you sure though that the price showing in the image is CAD?

I found an I class flight for the YYZ-LHR-JNB segment and the return flight JNB-LHR-JFK is in Q class. Total cost $2613 ($440 more than the one in your post) and on the dates I can actually fly without missing extra days of work.

According to AA's earn chart for partner airlines here, https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...sh-airways.jsp

I should expect to earn 18,340 EQM's (2 EQM's per mile flown) and 2,292 EQD's (25% per mile flown) for the YYZ-LHR-JNB segment. AA could not actually answer how much I can actually earn as the booking is for a partner airline not booked on AA's site. The only thing they were able to confirm is that even though the flight is technically ending on 26 September, they take into account when the segment began, so I should expect to have both segments count before the deadline.

I've put the flight on hold for 72 hours hoping to get some sort of confirmation on the amounts earned.

Appreciated everyone's help in this matter.
Yes, the amount in the image is CAD (it is confusing, but if you email yourself the price quote, it makes clear it's in CAD).

For I class, you should earn 2.0x EQM and 25% EQD—i.e., ~18,000 EQM and ~2250 EQD for the outbound (I'm rounding down to 9,000 BIS miles for simplicity). I believe that's right that AA will count the LHR-JNB leg as long as it departs on the 25th, even if it arrives on the 26th.

EDIT: Beware, BA pilots have announced dates for their strike. It doesn't look like any of the dates are on the dates you would be traveling, but the 27th is one of the announced dates. BA might modify its schedule in response to the strike. This seems like a developing situation, so I would definitely keep an eye open if you end up booking this. Unfortunately, BA is one of the few Oneworld options to JNB. IB does have a MAD-JNB flight, but I don't think it operates every day.

Last edited by flyingeph12; Aug 23, 2019 at 12:42 pm
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:48 am

Ia it possible to earn Aadvantage miles as well as BA Avios on the same flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.