MQS Alert Tools

Old Dec 20, 18, 11:08 am
pbj
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
MQS Alert Tools

Was wondering if a tool exists to setup alerts for cheap segment runs. I've been DL DM since inception but over the years I've gone from almost exclusive International travel to domestic which has shifted me to qualifying on segments. This year I'm dropping to GM as some personal things were going on and I just didn't have time to be on the road as much. That being said, I'd like to get back to DM as quickly as possible and in the future be setup so that if I see my travel trending down I can still pick up "cheap" segments. Is there an alert tool out there that keeps an eye on single day turn fares from a starting airport and can alert you? Kind of like what you can do on Google Flights, where I just put in my originating airport and outbound/inbound flight date the same and it will show me all the prices for that day anywhere in the US? I'd like to be able to define something like "Alert me for any DL flights under $200 in a single day". MQDs aren't ever an issue since most of my travel is booked 1-5 days out so I'm usually paying a higher fare, just need to keep the segments up.

Thanks!
Old Dec 20, 18, 11:25 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
If you are looking for segments, you'll probably want to find city pairs where fares allow double-connects and which have cheaper fares. I'm doubtful anyone is going to offer this as a service. You'll have better luck with this out of LAN rather than DTW. For example, out of LAN, fares allow double-connects to PWM for a total of 6 segments in a day. $226.20 for E fare and $286.20 for V. Tue/Wed travel and 21 day advance purchase requirement. MCI looks like it would fit the bill as well (fares as low as $220.20 for double-connects).
Old Dec 21, 18, 9:12 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I use IFTTT for all of my MR related alerts. Back when I was a segment runner I'd start by building out MR's that originated from my departure city. As far as building segment runs on their own they are rarely going to show up on FT. I used to, and still do, start with the cheapest one way out of my city, and go from there e.g: depart - cheapest thing on google flights - cheapest thing from THAT city - cheapest thing from THAT city and so on hoping I get home in my time frame or without killing the price.
dv2t and pudgym29 like this.
Old Jan 1, 19, 5:18 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TG*G, Mar LTBT, Hyatt Glb, AA PLT-LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Madone59 View Post
I use IFTTT for all of my MR related alerts. Back when I was a segment runner I'd start by building out MR's that originated from my departure city. As far as building segment runs on their own they are rarely going to show up on FT. I used to, and still do, start with the cheapest one way out of my city, and go from there e.g: depart - cheapest thing on google flights - cheapest thing from THAT city - cheapest thing from THAT city and so on hoping I get home in my time frame or without killing the price.
Can you share how you use Google Flights in this way?
Old Jan 1, 19, 6:36 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Originally Posted by yosithezet View Post
Can you share how you use Google Flights in this way?
Google flights is a great tool here because it give a really east view of cheap o/w's out of your preferred city. It's a lot easier than the old ITA trick of everything with in 2,000mi of MCI .

While ITA is easier for searching for segments because you as add (airline) "+ + +" coding to force extra segments using GF is much faster. Open a multi city trip with the period of time you want to fly. Put in that cheap O/W you found as your top line. I live in Charlotte so my example is: CLT-SEA. The second line is SEA-XXX with the third line being XXX-CLT. Keep changing XXX until you find the cheapest combination. I literally jot them down and cross them out as I find cheaper cities.

Let me know if this made sense
Pocatello likes this.
Old Jan 1, 19, 9:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Unobtainium, Delta almost Diamond
Originally Posted by Madone59 View Post
Google flights is a great tool here because it give a really east view of cheap o/w's out of your preferred city. It's a lot easier than the old ITA trick of everything with in 2,000mi of MCI .

While ITA is easier for searching for segments because you as add (airline) "+ + +" coding to force extra segments using GF is much faster. Open a multi city trip with the period of time you want to fly. Put in that cheap O/W you found as your top line. I live in Charlotte so my example is: CLT-SEA. The second line is SEA-XXX with the third line being XXX-CLT. Keep changing XXX until you find the cheapest combination. I literally jot them down and cross them out as I find cheaper cities.

Let me know if this made sense
Thanks!

very helpful! and it makes sense!
Old Jan 2, 19, 7:11 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Originally Posted by Pocatello View Post
Thanks!

very helpful! and it makes sense!
Great. Don't hesitate to PM me if it doesn't work.

Search this Thread