Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] MH rt ex CAN to AKL/SYD/MEL/BNE USD1020 and up from jan19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] MH rt ex CAN to AKL/SYD/MEL/BNE USD1020 and up from jan19

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:12 pm

Programs: OneWorld
It's fairly easy to take the train from the HKG Hung Hom station into the Guangzhou East train station. From there, approximately ten stops on the metro (with no changes) to the Baiyun Airport. The new high speed train from HKG to Guangzhou is to the South Train Station, not very convenient to the airport.... Make sure your China Visa is in order....
Old Jun 4, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
This fare is gone, but I have a question about an existing reservation. I booked CAN-AKL-CAN and I have the return coming up in a few days.

MH has decided to cancel the (once-daily) KUL-CAN flight on the day of my booking. Their first response is to offer me the KUL-CAN the next day, giving me a 27-hour connection in Kuala Lumpur. They have also offered to move my AKL departure one day later, so that I would have a typical 3-hour connection. I can't really accept either of these, as I am booked to fly out of Hong Kong the morning after my originally-scheduled AKL arrival.

In a perfect world, I would love if MH would rebook me for the KUL-Hong Kong flight on the morning that the KUL-CAN is not operating. I have asked the call center agents for this, noting that the two cities are just a short train ride apart, and that the disruption was caused by them in the first place. So far, they are not budging on this.

If I don't get anyone at MH to agree to my request for Hong Kong, I guess I could ask to leave AKL one day early, but that cuts short my holiday. Or I can leave the booking with the 27-hour connection in KUL, and buy my own ticket from KUL-HKG, throwing away the last segment. (My fear is that they want to check my luggage across the 27-hour connection, and I would also lose the miles.)

I have no experience with MH, so I don't know what is reasonable to request. In the US, we would ask for a supervisor of the call center agent and escalate a few times before accepting what is offered - is this standard procedure with MH call centers? Any other advice for dealing with MH???

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by gary_nj
MH has decided to cancel the (once-daily) KUL-CAN flight on the day of my booking. Their first response is to offer me the KUL-CAN the next day, giving me a 27-hour connection in Kuala Lumpur. They have also offered to move my AKL departure one day later, so that I would have a typical 3-hour connection. I can't really accept either of these, as I am booked to fly out of Hong Kong the morning after my originally-scheduled AKL arrival.

In a perfect world, I would love if MH would rebook me for the KUL-Hong Kong flight on the morning that the KUL-CAN is not operating. I have asked the call center agents for this, noting that the two cities are just a short train ride apart, and that the disruption was caused by them in the first place. So far, they are not budging on this.
This is rather strange but MH has indeed canceled 1-2 flights in the next few weeks (considering that they only serve this flight once a day).

If you only speak English, it's harder to escalate since the English call centre is outsourced to Fiji (I think) and they are not empowered to do anything other than what's allowed. If you speak very little Malay (even pressing the correct buttons when you call MH), you'd be routed to an agent in Malaysia (and most of them are bilingual).

With a 27 hour layover, your bags won't be checked through (it can't be checked through for any flights that has a layover greater than 24 hours).
gary_nj likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:27 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
I bought CAN KUL AKL KUL CAN in mid May. (more expensive fare)
My outbound CAN KUL is cancelled and they put me on the next day (getting rid of the stopover in KUL that I built in)

I emailed them and will see what they say (I told them I have to leave China on that and only that date). I offer them to rebook me ex HKG. but no response yet.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: QR Plat, HH Diamond
I bought a ticket for USD 1065ish back in January or ? and all the flights went accordingly to plan

the KL layover is a bit long on the way down but the !st Class lounge staff will get you a blanket and a glass of Champagne

I also bought the LATAM flight in Business from Sydney to Auckland that was cheap and I was shunted over to a Qantas flight to NZ, then the much classier and better serviced LATAM flight on the return

a nice batch of flights for +/- USD 1700

mM
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Originally Posted by gary_nj
MH has decided to cancel the (once-daily) KUL-CAN flight on the day of my booking.
Just an update on this... Trying to deal with MH was a disaster. For starters, I would have thought that when a flight is cancelled (several weeks in advance of flying), the airline would try their best to accommodate, but that was not my experience here. I spoke with several agents, and could not get them to budge on allowing me to fly into HKG on my ticketed date. The best they would do is have me adjust the date (one day in either direction) to align with currently operating KUL-CAN flights.

The worst part, though, was the lack of service from the agents. After flying the outbound, I spoke with one agent who seemed optimistic about allowing the HKG flight, but needed to "email to headquarters" and told me that the response time might take 48 hours. I confirmed with her that everything was in the record so that I wouldn't have to explain myself again... of course, when I received no email in response and called back 55 hours later, that agent could find no record of my request at all. Finally, I surrendered and changed the date. Again an agent promised I would get an email with the new itinerary but that never happened.

The one bright spot (I thought) was that the new itinerary booked into C class rather than Z, so I thought I might earn a few more miles in Aadvantage. But the posting happened and it posted as Z. I will send stuff to AA but I don't expect much.

Really disappointed in Malaysia Airlines on this... With an advance cancellation, I would have expected better from them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.