Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA MIA-DFW-SFO - unable to price?!

Old Nov 2, 18, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Flying right in the middle of the Xmas break and finding fares in the lower $300s MIA-DFW // DFW-SFO if priced via multi-city (otherwise its in the $500+ region). To me this is a great deal considering the season. It books into V.

However, the big problem is that every time I try to issue it (whether via GF or AA.com), I get an error from AA - anyone know what is up with this? I manage to get to the page where they ask you to input name / DOB etc.

What I've done is price them out as 2 "separate" segments with a 1.5-2 hour connection. If you do a one way search as a "one way" with a stopover MIA-DFW-SFO it immediately jumps in price.

We are sorry for the inconvenience, we encountered an error processing your request.
  • The fare for the flights you have selected is no longer available.

Please contact Reservations for assistance with making a new booking and quote 15012.

American Airlines apologises for any inconvenience this may have caused. (15012 - 421)
Old Nov 2, 18, 10:52 am

Likely an issue with "married" segments. V is available individually for MIA-DFW and DFW-SFO. However, V isn't actually for sale from MIA to SFO, and the system isn't validating this until the last pricing check.

You could try booking each separately, but that inherently runs risks when irregular operations hit.
Old Nov 2, 18, 11:19 am

Deleted

Last edited by sgan317; Nov 2, 18 at 11:22 am Reason: Power tools wont force through
Old Nov 3, 18, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Just wanted to report back that yes it was the married segments issue. Had one of the best AA agents I have ever dealt with who really worked some magic to get it to price out in the end. There was no magic, it was just a bit of persistence and manual adjustments apparently to piece together separate segments. My advice next time, particularly if you find multi city fares through GF and error out on AA.com, call up and see if an agent can help. I saved over $300 by doing this!
Old Nov 13, 18, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by baclubflyer View Post
Just wanted to report back that yes it was the married segments issue. Had one of the best AA agents I have ever dealt with who really worked some magic to get it to price out in the end. There was no magic, it was just a bit of persistence and manual adjustments apparently to piece together separate segments. My advice next time, particularly if you find multi city fares through GF and error out on AA.com, call up and see if an agent can help. I saved over $300 by doing this!
I'm having the same issue right now as well. Finding a flight for almost $300 cheaper. Can you message me the dummy version of what you did/said the the CSR on AA? I called them once today and they quoted me a price that was even higher than what they show on GF round trip. Thanks.
Old Nov 16, 18, 9:13 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by hawkfan7314 View Post
I'm having the same issue right now as well. Finding a flight for almost $300 cheaper. Can you message me the dummy version of what you did/said the the CSR on AA? I called them once today and they quoted me a price that was even higher than what they show on GF round trip. Thanks.
I suspect that you will have difficultly getting them to consistently override. The root problem is that the fare search software that AA uses is licensed from ITA and has bugs in looking at married segment fare buckets when using the multi-city search function (it incorrectly looks at individual segment buckets when presenting fare availability for a fare that covers multiple segments). You can find the exact same issue on the matrix.itasoftware.com site when using multi-city search.
hawkfan7314 likes this.