FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   Mileage Run Survival Tips (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/1928975-mileage-run-survival-tips.html)

ventelatte Sep 4, 2018 4:01 pm

Mileage Run Survival Tips

Thanks to another FlyerTalk member who helped me find it, I'm headed out on a mileage run Sun-Tues. It's not terrible, admittedly, compared to what others have done, but still a LOT of flying: IAH-HNL-GUM-NRT-IAH. Besides loading my iPad with movies, getting wifi on the plane, bringing snacks, dressing comfortably having a sense of humor and not drinking too much... can those more experienced than moi offer any "survival tips"? Thank you..

javabytes Sep 4, 2018 5:17 pm

Don’t forget your passport. Sounds dumb but people have done it. That’s a long time to sit in a coach seat; make sure to bring whatever you need for comfort (i.e. travel pillow). Personally, I always do aisle seats for long mileage runs because then I can stay hydrated and still be able to easily escape the seat to hit the lav if necessary.

Raijin Sep 4, 2018 11:52 pm

I think you have pretty much nailed it in terms of preparation. I also take aisle seats when I am running alone just to be able to escape the seat quickly, as mentioned before. Noise cancelling headphones can come in handy, I use Bose QC35. And at least one thing I really need to protect my ears from in-flight pain are some earplugs which help me adjusting to the pressure. I usually get them on Amazon. Don't forget your passport, stay hydrated and comfortable :) Happy running!

B0gdan Sep 5, 2018 1:47 am

I'd say hydrate. The air is normally very dry and myself, being sensitive to dry air, I bring a nose gel, a salt water spray (to clean the nose of bacteria circulating in the air), a face spray with thermal water and some face cream.

ventelatte Sep 5, 2018 5:19 am

Good advice on the passport, ear plugs and face cream. I just tossed them into my travel bag. Thank you, all.

david_oz Sep 5, 2018 10:01 am

Your routing indicates you’re probably flying United. Check same day change options en route. It might be worth making a change to get on a flight where you have a shot at 2 or 3 seats to yourself (call in if the app doesn’t give you the option)

I also did a very similar 4 day MR the other day YYC-DEN-NRT-GUM-KIX-SFO-YYC. several layover and same day change options will allow you enough time to briefly visit or overnight in Tokyo, Guam or Osaka. All three are great places to visit, so if you get the chance, head into the city and spend a few hours there.

skunker Sep 5, 2018 10:18 am

I saw others mention ear plugs and neck pillow (assuming you are flying coach...ewww :)), but also take an eye mask. It never fails that someone will leave their reading light on all night or open their window somewhere over the Pacific.

ventelatte Sep 5, 2018 1:14 pm

Wow... that's worse than mine. How did you FEEL when it was over? And, yes, I'm on United.

david_oz Sep 5, 2018 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by ventelatte (Post 30170921)
Wow... that's worse than mine. How did you FEEL when it was over? And, yes, I'm on United.

we were in J to and from japan, so it was fine. But I’ve done similar before in Y and have survived just fine :)

Kmxu Sep 6, 2018 5:26 am

A blanket to keep you warm when you go to sleep. If you have UA status, choose the last row of E+ seat to increase your chance of getting an empty row on B777. Good luck.

Romelle Sep 6, 2018 6:42 am

Try to get up and walk at least every hour, if not more often. Plus seat exercises, and standing ones. A bout with deep vein thrombosis (DVT) can land you on either expensive ($500/mo pre-insurance) or scary (rat poison) blood thinner for the rest of your life.

On a happier note, toys. Whatever amuses you - sudoko, knitting, crosswords, ?? A variety of reading material. Maybe even an actual paperback, in case of technological failure.

Tooth brush and paste, plus other grooming things. Amazing how much better one feels after using them.

Have to admit I'm jealous. Guam has been on my list for ages, but DL doesn't have such a slick route as yours.

ventelatte Sep 6, 2018 4:35 pm

Thanks for this guidance. I always choose an aisle so I can get up without disturbing others/at my leisure. I am bringing a paperback in case of a tech outage. :)

I'm also packing a decent sized 'brick' (Anker from Amazon) in case the outlet isn't available/not working, etc. The layover in HNL is only 45 minutes before the second 8-hour flight, HNL->GUM, so little time to find an outlet and charge up.

I have an overnight in Guam (arrive 6pm/leave noon the next day) so I packed a swimsuit. I can't imagine much will top a quick dip, regardless of the evening hour. Except, maybe, a real dinner.

TYSDoc Sep 6, 2018 5:56 pm

Compression socks

compression socks have kept my MR’ing ankles and feet from swelling. Worth their weight in silver! Also, any meds + extras, wet wipes (for wiping down nasty arm rests, tables, etc.) because if the MR aftermath is getting sick, you’ll think about it twice next time. And your family/friends will rag on ya.

Romelle Sep 6, 2018 8:54 pm

Cough drops, spare glasses, zip-lock bags (usually for spare food), safety pins, Q-tips, adapters, Tums, Imodium, Pepto-Bismol, band-aids, antihistamine, nail-clippers. Pens, lots of pens - they tend to walk away.

Other than prescription glasses, you can of course buy the above list as needed. But ... you get to access the value of having right on hand your preferred whatever vs going cross-eyed in a foreign store trying to piece out the language. Or having to buy a pack of 18 when you just want one.

jcatman Sep 6, 2018 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by skunker (Post 30170321)
I saw others mention ear plugs and neck pillow (assuming you are flying coach...ewww :)), but also take an eye mask. It never fails that someone will leave their reading light on all night or open their window somewhere over the Pacific.

Therein lies the problem. Sit in the aisle, and you have easy access to the restroom. BUT, you lose control of the window shade, and lots of people refuse to close that thing, even if the scenery for the next six hours will be ocean.