Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] Philippine Airlines, LHR-HKG, £500 J return

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Palal
Top tips for the "Dim Sum / Chicken adobo" fare:
  • At more than 5 weeks after most of us booked this fare it looks increasingly likely that the fare will stick. However prudence is still advisable and we should all avoid contacting the booking agent and if essential to contact try to deal with the airline direct.
  • Check that your original itenary is intact and ticketed as PAL revised their LHR flight schedule in early September and there appear to now only be 5 flights a week now rather than daily. Use TripCase to do this - see post #114 on how to do this (thanks to @MyFlights App). If you have incurred an involuntary change you can contact PAL and they will permit one change to amend your itenary. They appear to be flexible to shift flights to adjacent days, but if you try to push to be rerouted on another carrier to maintain the original itenary times you might find your flights are cancelled and you end up with a refund.
  • Online seat assignments are not possible on PAL when booked through a 3rd party, you have to call up, it is best to call PAL on 0808 164 9888 rather than the booking agent.
  • Whilst it looks like the fare is going to stick be aware that making other travel arrangements around this booking are at your own risk so consider making bookings that are refundable or covered by insurance if needed.
In hopes that this will go ahead, here's a wiki to see who's going and when.
Updated to post #253

November '18
Outbound
LHR-HKG : 09/11/18 : Carnaby
Inbound
HKG-LHR : 22/11/18 : Carnaby

December '18
Outbound
LHR-HKG : 29/12/18 : Wildwater
Inbound
None

January '19
Outbound
LHR-HKG : 10/01/19 : dsf
LHR-HKG : 12/01/19 : SFO1967
LHR-HKG : 12/01/19 : TravelQuinten
LHR-HKG : 17/01/19 : Kauppias
Inbound
HKG-LHR : 01/01/19 : Wildwater
HKG-LHR : 13/01/19 : dsf
HKG-LHR : 19/01/19 : SFO1967
HKG-LHR : 20/01/19 : Kauppias

February '19
Outbound
LHR-HKG : 05/02/19 : HKGEDI
LHR-HKG : 09/02/19 : MoonMan85
LHR-HKG : 14/02/19 : Fleric
LHR-HKG : 22/02/19 : skycruiserNL
Inbound
HKG-LHR : 02/02/19 : TravelQuinten
HKG-LHR : 12/02/19 : HKGEDI
HKG-LHR : 22/02/19 : MoonMan85
HKG-LHR : 26/02/19 : Fleric
HKG-LHR : 28/02/19 : skycruiserNL

March '19
Outbound
LHR-MNL : 01/03/19 : danfl44
LHR-HKG : 10/03/19 : flight345 +1
LHR-HKG : 14/03/19 : plunet +1
LHR-HKG : 14/03/19 : kevinflyaway
LHR-HKG : 18/03/19 : cowcow75
LHR-HKG : 21/03/19 : ams2174
LHR-HKG : 22/03/19 : jonase
LHR-MNL : 22/03/19 : Funky Spike
MNL-HKG :24/03/19 : Funky Spike
LHR-HKG : 24/03/19 : Poolek
LHR-HKG : 30/03/19 : Wilem
Inbound
MNL-LHR : 07/03/19 : danfl44
HKG-LHR : 18/03/19 : kevinflyaway
HKG-LHR : 24/03/19 : plunet +1
HKG-LHR : 24/03/19 : flight345 +1
HKG-LHR : 27/03/19 : ams2174
HKG-MNL : 27/03/19 : Funky Spike
MNL-LHR : 28/03/19 : Funky Spike
HKG-LHR : 28/03/19 : Poolek
HKG-LHR : 31/03/19 : jonase

April '19
Outbound
LHR-HKG : 10/04/19 : honzeek_cz
LHR-HKG : 10/04/19 : kjbrant +1
LHR-HKG : 11/04/19 : a_man_usia
LHR-HKG : 12/04/19 : usmark24
LHR-HKG : 12/04/19 : bittihuduga+1
LHR-HKG : 16/04/19 : stringymacca
LHR-HKG : 17/04/19 : estrangeiro8
LHR-HKG : 18/04/19 : Vgravity
LHR-HKG : 19/04/19 : strayersong
LHR-HKG : 20/04/19 : justatourist
LHR-HKG : 21/04/19 : gpetro1
LHR-HKG : 28/04/19 : coolblue21
Inbound
HKG-LHR : 02/04/19 : cowcow75
HKG-LHR : 14/04/19 : honzeek_cz
HKG-LHR : 14/04/19 : a_man_usia
HKG-LHR : 17/04/19 : kjbrant +1
HKG-LHR : 21/04/19 : usmark24
HKG-LHR : 22/04/19 : bittihuduga
HKG-LHR : 23/04/19 : stringymacca
HKG-LHR : 23/04/19 : Vgravity
HKG-LHR : 27/04/19 : justatourist
HKG-LHR : 27/04/19 : strayersong
HKG-LHR : 27/04/19 : estrangeiro8

May '19
Outbound
LHR-HKG : 02/05/19 : ackbrady +2
LHR-HKG : 04/05/19 : shamrock104
LHR-HKG : 14/05/19 : usmark24
LHR-HKG : 15/05/19 : afirm
LHR-HKG : 15/05/19 : p78
Return
HKG-LHR : 01/05/19 : gpetro1
HKG-LHR : 03/05/19 : coolblue21
HKG-LHR : 08/05/19 : shamrock104
HKG-LHR : 09/05/19 : ackbrady +2
HKG-LHR : 18/05/19 : afirm
HKG-LHR : 19/05/19 : p78
HKG-LHR : 23/05/19 : usmark24

June '18
Return
HKG-LHR : 29/06/19 : Wilem
Print Wikipost

[PREM FARE GONE] Philippine Airlines, LHR-HKG, £500 J return

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by jinkssick
April 2019
that’s so nice!
for a flight that is 8 months away you couldn’t wait just a couple of weeks as suggested many times in this thread (and has fhlighted in red bold at the top of the page).

Not only you brought attention to it but you called in both the TA and the airline where most likely someone with deeper knowledge than the regular call center representative will need to look into your ticket for the matter you raised.

Waiting two two weeks wouldn’t have changed anything regarding your name issue but for sure your selfish behavior might have some undesired effect for everyone else here.

Thanks!
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:38 pm

For the Wiki

LHR-HKG: 22/03/19: jonase
HKG-LHR: 31/03/19: jonase
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:01 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by maclover

that’s so nice!
for a flight that is 8 months away you couldn’t wait just a couple of weeks as suggested many times in this thread (and has fhlighted in red bold at the top of the page).

Not only you brought attention to it but you called in both the TA and the airline where most likely someone with deeper knowledge than the regular call center representative will need to look into your ticket for the matter you raised.

Waiting two two weeks wouldn’t have changed anything regarding your name issue but for sure your selfish behavior might have some undesired effect for everyone else here.

Thanks!
PR website costings were correct, it was lastminute.com and co-owned TA's that entered incorrect low fare (correct taxes, but dropped zero on fare ie 120 & tax versus 1200 & tax) and lower than Y fare. Obviously can't be called a sale fare if priced fully on PR's site

As such will be TA who cancel due to pricing error, not the airline as soon as TA get invoiced by PR for the error fare tickets. I don't see contacting PR who expect full cost from TA to make difference regards TA cancelling tickets. If you fly immediatley you may get return flight completed before TA wake up and cancel. Could be risk too that inbound rtn cancelled after outbound flown

I gave this a miss as unlikely to be honoured, despite needing flight back to Manila first week October. as it is a TA's error
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:11 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by scubaccr
PR website costings were correct, it was lastminute.com and co-owned TA's that entered incorrect low fare (correct taxes, but dropped zero on fare ie 120 & tax versus 1200 & tax) and lower than Y fare. Obviously can't be called a sale fare if priced fully on PR's site

As such will be TA who cancel due to pricing error, not the airline as soon as TA get invoiced by PR for the error fare tickets. I don't see contacting PR who expect full cost from TA to make difference regards TA cancelling tickets. If you fly immediatley you may get return flight completed before TA wake up and cancel. Could be risk too that inbound rtn cancelled after outbound flown

I gave this a miss as unlikely to be honoured, despite needing flight back to Manila first week October. as it is a TA's error
Yep, I agree. Unless someone calls the TA about a reservation and that means someone notices the price and triggers an investigation, the next point this is likely to hit the rails is at some financial reconciliation between the TA and the airlines. I believe this usually happens monthly on a formal basis where money changes hands. Hence my suggestion in the wiki to sit tight until the end of the first week in October to give things a full 5 weeks.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 2:09 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Alaska MVP Gold
Although I fully live by the 'don't call the TA/Airline' rule, I would be amazed if the TA doesn't notice these tickets before the invoice of the airline. I mean, it was very cheap, the deal was live for a long time and it was on the blogs, so one would guess loads of tickets have been sold, which should raise some flags.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by scubaccr

It's a bit more complicated than that...
OTA don't type in fare manually, rather there's a feed coming directly from the airline. The error might have been generated on any of the side for a number of different reasons.
Regardlessly of how it happened, it's common sense for the readers here - especially for those who aren't new joiners - to keep a low profile fir a while, especially if flights are months away
plunet likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: BA
For wiki

Lhr-Hkg - 16 April
Hkg-Lhr - 23 April
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:48 am

I took advantage of the deal and oddly have been here before with lastminute.com.

About six or seven years ago I booked a flight from LHR-BKK via KUL with MH on lastminute for around £560, J class. As is the case here, I was ticketed and received an itinerary in Business Class.

Within two days I had a very short email from lastminute.com stating that there was an error and that my fare was for economy. And that was that. I pursued it and it basically become a game of ‘pass the buck’.

I first complained to lastminute whom pretty promptly replied that I had to take it up with MH as that’s who the ‘contract’ was with. So, I complained to MH who after some time replied and said that lastminute is my agent and who sold the fare and they are responsible.

So, I went back to lastminute with the reply from MH. This time, lastminute tried to pass the buck to another wholesaler and then the GDS. I decided to keep on at MH about it and in the end they said they would allow me to travel business ‘as a gesture of goodwill’.

The lesson was - when a fare is purchased via an agent it becomes even more difficult to keep honoured as each party claims someone else is responsible. Where possible I ALWAYS book directly with the airline now even if it costs me a few extra bucks.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by bananahead
I took advantage of the deal and oddly have been here before with lastminute.com.

About six or seven years ago I booked a flight from LHR-BKK via KUL with MH on lastminute for around £560, J class. As is the case here, I was ticketed and received an itinerary in Business Class.

Within two days I had a very short email from lastminute.com stating that there was an error and that my fare was for economy. And that was that. I pursued it and it basically become a game of ‘pass the buck’.

I first complained to lastminute whom pretty promptly replied that I had to take it up with MH as that’s who the ‘contract’ was with. So, I complained to MH who after some time replied and said that lastminute is my agent and who sold the fare and they are responsible.

So, I went back to lastminute with the reply from MH. This time, lastminute tried to pass the buck to another wholesaler and then the GDS. I decided to keep on at MH about it and in the end they said they would allow me to travel business ‘as a gesture of goodwill’.

The lesson was - when a fare is purchased via an agent it becomes even more difficult to keep honoured as each party claims someone else is responsible. Where possible I ALWAYS book directly with the airline now even if it costs me a few extra bucks.
Agree but sometimes its purely an OTA error such as this deal.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by bananahead

Surely this is a classic case for a credit card chargeback.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Surely this is a classic case for a credit card chargeback.
totally. But my end game was to get someone to honour business Class travel. Failing that, I would have gone for a refund.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I read the story of lastminute.com from previous years, but it's almost been 5 days now and still no word. So I don't think it's an easy and shut case for not hounering the ticket. Looking at some position flights, but not booking anything I can't cancel
Old Sep 3, 2018, 3:08 pm

for the Wiki

LHR-HKG: 14/02/19: Fleric
HKG-LHR: 26/02/19: Fleric
Old Sep 3, 2018, 3:14 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by maclover

that’s so nice!

Thanks!
Attacking the OP in the manner you have done so, is wholly out of line.

This fare has been called an Error-Fare a number of times within this thread, and there is even a WIKI which shows when people are flying - giving some sort of indication of how many people took advantage of the fare. Added to the fact that we are now 13 pages in, it's clear that the Fare was well bought.

If you believe that PR and the OTA's aren't entirely aware of the situation, I fear you may be naive. Both will know what has happened, and will now be in the process of trying to figure out how best to handle the situation.

There will be countless others who saw the fare advertised on the various flying blogs, and you've no idea whether any of those passengers have called PAL to double-check. Bear in mind also, that OTAs and airlines themselves, have Official Reps on FT.

If the fare is credited, accept you got lucky. If it is not, then move on, but don't try and pin the blame on people for calling up and checking their bookings.

M
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
For the Wiki:

LHR-HKG: 17/04/19: estrangeiro8
HKG-LHR: 27/04/2019 estrangeiro8

And a personal thank you to everyone at FT: I'm still a relative novice to this, but have learn an incredible amount from all the contributors and participants on here. Your collective wisdom is second to none.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.