Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] HX: LAX-PVG rt in J ~$580ish

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 1k650
Post your trip dates and itinerary here:

DPS-HKG - 09/6/2018 - MCI777
HKG-SFO - 09/7/2018 - MCI777 ( just flew SFO-HKG-DPS a few days ago)

LAX-BKK - 10/07/2018 - EVA777
BKK-LAX - 10/22/2018 - EVA777

BKK-LAX - 10/10/2018 - jerrflyer

LAX-BKK - 10/15/2018 - cmdsea
BKK-LAX - 04/04/2019 - cmdsea

SFO-PVG - 10/24/2018 - 1k650
DPS-SFO - 11/14/2018 - 1k650

LAX-DPS - 10/27/2018 - FoxFlyer
DPS-LAX - 11/01/2018 - FoxFlyer

BKK-LAX - 11/01/2018 - EmailKid

LAX-BKK - 11/01/2018 - fijaircan
BKK-LAX - 11/11/2018 - fijaircan

LAX-BKK - 11/17/2018 - EVA777
BKK-LAX - 11/27/2018 - EVA777

LAX-PVG - 01/10/2019 - George84
PVG-LAX - 01/14/2019 - George84

LAX-PVG - 01/17/2019 - SGan317
PVG-LAX - 01/21/2019 - SGan317

SFO-BKK 01/07/19- frank10b
BKK-SFO 01/16/19 - frank10b

SFO-BKK 01/09/2019 - IluvSQ
BKK-SFO 01/25/2019 - IluvSQ

LAX-PVG 01/19/2019 - vincewy
PVG-LAX 01/26/2019 - vincewy

LAX-HKG 2/2/19 - genesq
HKG-LAX 2/17/19 - genesq

LAX-DPS 2/13/19 - maverikbc
DPS-LAX 3/4/19 - maverikbc

LAX-BKK 2/14/19 - chiefnwa
BKK-LAX 2/24/19 - chiefnwa

SFO-BKK 2/17/19 - bretmd
BKK-SFO 2/24/19 - bretmd

SFO-PVG - 2/22/2019 - gpen1827
PVG-SFO - 3/4/2019 - gpen1827

LAX-BKK 2/22/2019 MCI777
BKK-LAX 2/27/2019 MCI777

SFO-SGN - 02/25/2019 - Flyer89
SGN-LAX - 03/02/2019 - Flyer89

SFO-BKK - 2/27/2019 - 1k650
DPS-SFO - 3/20/2019 - 1k650

LAX-BKK - 03/01/2019 - sydneyguy1234
BKK-LAX - 03/04/2019 - sydneyguy1234

LAX-BKK - 03/02/2019 - firemandan9
BKK-LAX - 03/10/2019 - firemandan9

LAX-BKK - 03/02/2019 - EVA777
BKK-LAX - 03/17/2019 - EVA777

SFO-PVG - 03/17/2019 - omghaxcode
PVG-SFO - 03/24/2019 - omghaxcode

LAX-PVG - 03/23/2019 - legalalien, Ml007, Mileage Lover
PVG-LAX - 03/30/2019 - legalalien, Ml007

PVG-LAX 03/31/2019 Mileage Lover

LAX-HKG 09/22/2018 atiger29

LAX-HKG 11/14/2018 Tafflyer
HKG-PVG 11/18/2018 Tafflyer
PVG-LAX 04/02/2019 Tafflyer
Print Wikipost

[PREM FARE GONE] HX: LAX-PVG rt in J ~$580ish

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:05 pm

So I'm trying to look for another flight on HK Airlines from SFO or LAX, but the prices are all <$1000 for roundtrip travel. In fact, the only city that seems to be in ~$500 R/T range in Economy is from LAX-Taipei.

Do you have any idea why the flights are so expensive?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:20 pm

Did not get a proper entrance with mobile passport at SFO's immigration. We landed early and had to wait about 15 minutes before the immigration control opened. As soon as it opened I headed to the mobile passport lane, and then was told no mobile phone allowed at all, which was a first time for me and at a mobile passport lane . I got through the immigration by giving the agent my passport and had to answer the declaration form questions verbally, which was fine except when the agent decided to have a follow up to the $10,000 question after I answered no. Agent: "How much?" Me: "Less than $10,000." Agent: "This could mean $9999 or $1000. You have to be more specific. How much?" Me: "Umm...$100" Has anyone have any problems with mobile passport at SFO?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Silver, UA Plat
I realized I never gaave my two cents report on this. We flew this route at the end of a February.
First of all many thanks to OP!!!

Check in at SFO was packed and so was TSA which left us very little time to enjoy the lounge. After we entered the lounge, we realized we didn’t miss much. We had planned on taking some water bottles on the flight but to our surprise no water bottles at the lounge. We flew SFO-HKG on the old design 359 with the broken window. It does appear to have been taped up but no fix yet.

The flight went smooth. The IFE was very lacking but I slept most of the time. The food was good, always chose the Asian option over the Western option. I did not ask for the mid flight snack as the first meal was quite filling. I agree with previous posts that it gets warm and after meal service there wasn’t much FA movement but a simple press of the button got them over to my seat rather quickly. I assume they do this to let people sleep. I did make a walk down the aisle to economy and people looked rough, honestly hats off to anyone that does this 15 hour haul in economy.
In HKG, we had a 6 hour layover so we went into the city and did not really use the lounge. Flight from HKG-BKK was rather quick but you could tell the catering and amenity kits, etc were superior on flight leaving HKG. My gf and I enjoyed the honeymoon seats so much that I went against my AvGeek tendencies and switched the return from a window to honeymoon seats.

The return was very much like the way there. The lounge at BKK was far from our gates but the agent did let us know that it was going to be about a 10 minute walk. Flew the A333 from BKK-HKG and it showed it's age. Lounge in HKG was top notch with a nice view of the tarmac. I did get "randomly" selected for additional questions in HKG but it was very quick. When we boarded the flight in HKG to SFO, we noticed the divider between the seats was stuck up and could not be pushed down. We asked the FA and they moved us to the only other honeymoon seats open which were the first row. This was a big mistake as it can get rather noisy being right by the bathrooms/galley. I tried to sleep most of the flight back as I was not feeling so wel, probably due to a week’s worth of alcohol and nigth market food. We landed about 30 minutes early and was the first person off the plane and second through passport control, overall it took less than 10 minutes.

The experience was great, specially for this price, but given the real price of the ticket I would consider HK airlines in the future.
Thanks again and can’t wait for the next one!

hsumh316 and flockavelliFT like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:51 am

How did people add their fortune wings number to their reservations booked through Expedia?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by omghaxcode
How did people add their fortune wings number to their reservations booked through Expedia?
The same way to get seat assignments in advance, using live chat.

Just checked in for LAX-HKG-BKK. Check in counters open at 8:30 for the 11:45 flight, if anybody is wondering (I was trying to find this information online and wasn't successful).

Check in agents DO weigh carry on luggage, even for business class. Mine was just a touch over 8kg, but he let me keep it (I think allowance is supposed to be 7kg). People who are accustomed to overstuffing carry on bags, be warned!

Didn't get the cheeky card. Annoyed that HX doesn't participate in Pre-Check but hopefully that will change soon.

The LAX International Lounge was above average for a contract lounge. Nice enough seating, great cold beverage/snacks and respectable alcohol selection, good people watching from the terrace. If they added some decent hot food, more outlets, and nice showers, I would say it would actually be a competitive business class lounge.

Can't wait to see what the onboard experience is like!
hsumh316 and flockavelliFT like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
So i have just booked my positioning flight to BKK and will have 7+ hours to kill before my 0415Hrs departure on HX762...

Anyone have any prior experience on which Lounge HX use in BKK and whether the transit desk will be able to issue me a boarding pass 7 hours before the flight or if i will need until the regulart check in opens around 3hours before to get the boarding pass...

Thanks
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:22 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Silver, UA Plat
Originally Posted by cmdsea
So i have just booked my positioning flight to BKK and will have 7+ hours to kill before my 0415Hrs departure on HX762...

Anyone have any prior experience on which Lounge HX use in BKK and whether the transit desk will be able to issue me a boarding pass 7 hours before the flight or if i will need until the regulart check in opens around 3hours before to get the boarding pass...

Thanks
I believe you can use any of the Miracle lounges. Our flight left out of gates E, and although we could use the one near E we opted for the big one around gate D5. They gave us passes at check in (square gray card with map of all the lounges we could use) but not sure those are available at the transfer desk.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:11 pm

A brief report after my outbound:

The new A350 is stunning inside. Beautiful, bright interior, I didn't run into any non reclining seat issues but the carpeted panel under the footwell was loose.

Amenity kit was super cute design but relatively basic content except for the L'Occitane lotion. Slippers were appreciated, no pajamas offered though. The headphones were crap, and didn't even work. At first I thought it might be the IFE (which as many have reported is quite limited in content but I managed to find one TV show and one movie to watch), but I plugged in my Bose with a two-prong adapter and it worked like a charm.

FAs are pretty strict with pre-takeoff/landing checks. I was asked to open my window shade, they checked that storage compartments were closed, they put my backpack in the overhead after discovering I had kept it under the footwell (note: I have done this many times on AA with no issues). Even made me unplug my phone charger during takeoff. All done with a smile, so I didn't mind.

I took an extra pillow from an empty seat next to me. The FAs upgraded an economy pax to that empty seat after takeoff (older man, maybe a parent of an employee?), but he was out of sight during takeoff and landing. Bed was comfortable, got a solid 10 hours of sleep with a brief moment in the middle to enjoy midflight snack and a movie.

Ordered the Asian option both meals LAX-HKG. The lobster/abalone appetizer was stellar. Mains were probably closer to premium-economy level but enjoyable enough. Rather poor wine selection aside from an acceptable champagne (Charles de Cazanove), including Canyon Road Cabernet ($5-7). When I woke up 7 hrs into the flight, they were out of dimsum, but I enjoyed both the warm vegetarian sandwich and the cheese plate. I asked for a Glenfiddich scotch, and was given a wineglass full of it! Needless to say I quickly fell asleep afterwards.

Club Autus has nice clean showers with great water pressure and L'Occitane products as well. When I check in, agent told me "There are two shower rooms, one with no hairdryer, one with no toilet. Which would you like?" I chose the one with no (broken) hairdryer. Great food selection, and interesting if a bit sweet signature cocktails. I tried one with lychee, gin, lemon juice, and beer (!) and it was strange but not unenjoyable.

Once I was full, and with a 5 hour layover, I went back to the main terminal and enjoyed the superior alcohol selection, plane-spotting, and people-watching at the Centurion Lounge.

HKG-BKK was on the older A350, and the cabin looked much more dim and dark. Seat had much less storage and was less private, but arguably the widest business class bed in the sky. It was almost marginally uncomfortable for side sleeper like me that likes to lean his arm up against something, and I couldn't find a good place to rest it. Chose the Asian option (stir fried beef udon noodles) and was sorely disappointed. Full and buzzing from lounge hopping, I napped in the extra wide seat for an hour or so until preparations for landing began.

Service was generally quite good. Was addressed by last name more often than not, and on LAX-HKG the few times I rang my call bell were answered within seconds and with a smile. I was handed a compliment card to fill out on LAX-HKG, which I found a bit awkward considering no other passengers got singled out for feedback that I could see. I left some nice remarks as I felt they did a great job, a bit step above US carriers and almost on par with the established Asian carriers.

Can't wait for my return journey!
cmdsea and hsumh316 like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
Originally Posted by standbyalldtime

Ordered the Asian option both meals LAX-HKG. The lobster/abalone appetizer was stellar.

I was handed a compliment card to fill out on LAX-HKG, which I found a bit awkward considering no other passengers got singled out for feedback that I could see. I left some nice remarks
I found those sweet citrus things with fish egg like texture in that appy interesting.

I don't get how they pick people for surveys. I was chosen only on lax-hkg leg. On hkg-dps, happy looking young group was picked.

My points never posted to my fwc account despite my BP all showing my #. It's been almost a week after I've sent a retro credit request on Hainan site.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: UA Gold, AS, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by maverikbc

My points never posted to my fwc account despite my BP all showing my #. It's been almost a week after I've sent a retro credit request on Hainan site.
Mine took weeks to post. I submitted via the website first. They stayed in "pending review" status for several weeks. Finally, I sent an email. After a little back & forth, they posted the miles. During the back & forth, FWC asked for a photo of my passport, which I politely refused due to online safety. They didn't make a fuss and still posted the miles. My patience paid off, and I am taking my award flight in a couple weeks.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
Originally Posted by mafan812
Mine took weeks to post. I submitted via the website first. They stayed in "pending review" status for several weeks. Finally, I sent an email. After a little back & forth, they posted the miles. My patience paid off, and I am taking my award flight in a couple weeks.
Weeks? Yikes.

It's been a week, my request status still showing as pending checking. Because I applied for their status match, I wanted to ensure 2nd segments and after receive the multiplier, I've sent the request for LAX-HKG. My trip to Asia is coming up again in May, I want to get points and redeem asap. I've submitted requests for all segments now, and I'll give them another week before I contact them.

Did you book your award space on ffp.hnair.com? How's availability like, and ease of booking?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: UA Gold, AS, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by maverikbc
Weeks? Yikes.

It's been a week, my request status still showing as pending checking. Because I applied for their status match, I wanted to ensure 2nd segments and after receive the multiplier, I've sent the request for LAX-HKG. My trip to Asia is coming up again in May, I want to get points and redeem asap. I've submitted requests for all segments now, and I'll give them another week before I contact them.

Did you book your award space on ffp.hnair.com? How's availability like, and ease of booking?
I suggest directly emailing FFP then. I let my online request for mileage credit sit for a long time because I was in no hurry. I got the feeling they would still be sitting there in "pending checking" if I had not emailed.

As for the award travel, I emailed FFP to book with my award flights on Alaska (SJC-PDX). In my initial request email, I sent my desired dates, times, airline, and class of service. I was as specific as possible to avoid confusion. There were 2 back and forth emails and finally they called me to confirm and get the credit card payment (for the fees). I think that took about 2-3 business days duration. It was not as convenient as online booking, nor was it too much drama.

I cannot speak to availability. I got the exact flights & class of service that I wanted on my first try. I booked my award flight 2 months in advance. My friend (who also took advantage of this fare) tried to book an award flight on 2 weeks advance notice and was not able to find an available award flight that he liked. He was looking at SJC-SAN on Alaska.
maverikbc likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:07 pm

Anyone encountering errors when trying to manage their bookings? I am getting:

General error
Sorry, we have encountered some problems!
Our system is processing your request. Please wait.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cmdsea

Thanks
I arrived in BKK at 5PM before my 4AM flight to HKG. I couldn't use transfer since i need to collect a bag. I ended up using the Boxtel from 6PM-midnight and it was fantastic. Super convenient, comfortable and affordable. I could've saved $15/$20 staying offsite but that's vastly more inconvenient.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA Premier Gold, Hilton Diamond
My girlfriend and I managed to secure 12DG at BKK for the transpacific return flight from HKG to LAX, which (on the planes with the new seats) have significantly wider footwells. Upon boarding in HKG we were told that the IFE systems at 12DG are not working and they have moved us back to 21DG, which I assume were the last available seats they had that were together in the middle section of the cabin. Reading this forum, I knew that they have trouble with the IFE and seats but thought it was strange that both of them were not working. A little later into the flight we noticed that there were two gentlemen sitting in our seats and both were watching movies on their IFE which were working perfectly fine. I am guessing those two were either VIP/frequent flyers, off-duty pilots or other members of the crew during their rest period. But I think the airline crew handled really poorly to just straight out lie to us rather than telling the truth. I have stressed this to both cabin crew and emailed the airline and am awaiting their response.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.