Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] HX: LAX-PVG rt in J ~$580ish

Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 1k650
Post your trip dates and itinerary here:

DPS-HKG - 09/6/2018 - MCI777
HKG-SFO - 09/7/2018 - MCI777 ( just flew SFO-HKG-DPS a few days ago)

LAX-BKK - 10/07/2018 - EVA777
BKK-LAX - 10/22/2018 - EVA777

BKK-LAX - 10/10/2018 - jerrflyer

LAX-BKK - 10/15/2018 - cmdsea
BKK-LAX - 04/04/2019 - cmdsea

SFO-PVG - 10/24/2018 - 1k650
DPS-SFO - 11/14/2018 - 1k650

LAX-DPS - 10/27/2018 - FoxFlyer
DPS-LAX - 11/01/2018 - FoxFlyer

BKK-LAX - 11/01/2018 - EmailKid

LAX-BKK - 11/01/2018 - fijaircan
BKK-LAX - 11/11/2018 - fijaircan

LAX-BKK - 11/17/2018 - EVA777
BKK-LAX - 11/27/2018 - EVA777

LAX-PVG - 01/10/2019 - George84
PVG-LAX - 01/14/2019 - George84

LAX-PVG - 01/17/2019 - SGan317
PVG-LAX - 01/21/2019 - SGan317

SFO-BKK 01/07/19- frank10b
BKK-SFO 01/16/19 - frank10b

SFO-BKK 01/09/2019 - IluvSQ
BKK-SFO 01/25/2019 - IluvSQ

LAX-PVG 01/19/2019 - vincewy
PVG-LAX 01/26/2019 - vincewy

LAX-HKG 2/2/19 - genesq
HKG-LAX 2/17/19 - genesq

LAX-DPS 2/13/19 - maverikbc
DPS-LAX 3/4/19 - maverikbc

LAX-BKK 2/14/19 - chiefnwa
BKK-LAX 2/24/19 - chiefnwa

SFO-BKK 2/17/19 - bretmd
BKK-SFO 2/24/19 - bretmd

SFO-PVG - 2/22/2019 - gpen1827
PVG-SFO - 3/4/2019 - gpen1827

LAX-BKK 2/22/2019 MCI777
BKK-LAX 2/27/2019 MCI777

SFO-SGN - 02/25/2019 - Flyer89
SGN-LAX - 03/02/2019 - Flyer89

SFO-BKK - 2/27/2019 - 1k650
DPS-SFO - 3/20/2019 - 1k650

LAX-BKK - 03/01/2019 - sydneyguy1234
BKK-LAX - 03/04/2019 - sydneyguy1234

LAX-BKK - 03/02/2019 - firemandan9
BKK-LAX - 03/10/2019 - firemandan9

LAX-BKK - 03/02/2019 - EVA777
BKK-LAX - 03/17/2019 - EVA777

SFO-PVG - 03/17/2019 - omghaxcode
PVG-SFO - 03/24/2019 - omghaxcode

LAX-PVG - 03/23/2019 - legalalien, Ml007, Mileage Lover
PVG-LAX - 03/30/2019 - legalalien, Ml007

PVG-LAX 03/31/2019 Mileage Lover

LAX-HKG 09/22/2018 atiger29

LAX-HKG 11/14/2018 Tafflyer
HKG-PVG 11/18/2018 Tafflyer
PVG-LAX 04/02/2019 Tafflyer
Print Wikipost

[PREM FARE GONE] HX: LAX-PVG rt in J ~$580ish

Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
I popped in at midnight and the counters were very open, my guess is they probably open around 11:30PM. I asked about switching to the 3:20AM (was booked on the 4AM) and was denied.
Yep, I just had the same denial. The agent said I could change for $200 USD. I politely declined, lol.

Check-in opened at 11:45.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by MCI777
Yep, I just had the same denial. The agent said I could change for $200 USD. I politely declined, lol.

Check-in opened at 11:45.
You are lucky they did not ask for a re-fare !
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 1k650
You are lucky they did not ask for a re-fare !
Lol, I was totally ready for them to say I would owe $3000 to make a change to a flight 40 minutes earlier . I wouldn't have paid but I was certainly ready for it.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:17 pm

I just flew this fare for the second time. First time in November SFO-HKG-DPS, and this time LAX-HKG-BKK, both with stopovers in HKG. I'm glad I bought this fare x2, which will let me retain FWC Gold for another year.

Seat:
SFO-HKG has the older seats, but they are definitely more comfy for sleeping. Seats appeared to be a bit worn out, but you will get a good sleep. The only problem was there was no air nozzle and the cabin was way too warm.
LAX-HKG has the new setting, and I appreciate the modern seats and new IFE system with a really big screen, but they are not as comfy for sleeping for a bigger profile person. I ended up watching quite a few more movies while getting less sleep than I originally hoped for. On the plus side the cabin was at the right temperature and there was individual air nozzle with the new setting, and flight attendants were all excellent. I would even say the LAX-HKG experience was on par with CX if not better, because HX has a much smaller J cabin and it was feel as busy as the CX J cabin.

Food and service:
The food was not good SFO-HKG both ways when I flew in November and service was hit or miss, especially with the male flight attendants who worked pretty fast but really didn't know the proper etiquette as a flight attendant. They even undercook the dim sum plate and it was cold when I received it. But there is a huge improvement this time around on LAX-HKG. The lunch menu was excellent. I had the vegetarian option which was the roasted veggie terrine and it was very good. My wife had the miso beef and she said it was excellent also. Abalone appetizer was good too. As for dinner, there were only two options, beef lasagna or BBQ pork over rice. I had the latter and it was ok but nothing special.

Lounges:
The Air France lounge in SFO was crowded and there was very little food option. The LAX International Lounge had much less crowds, but food option was also very limited. There was only some sad looking sushi and fruits, and packaged food include Oreos, instant noodles, cereal, oaks, granola bars, Milano cookies and kettle chips. They did have plenty of drink options. I grabbed a couple of IZZE and S.Pellegrino before leaving which really helped in flight, as I didn't have to call the flight attendant every time I wanted something to drink. Make sure you grab a couple of Sweet Maui Onion Kettle chips - these were amazing and perfect as a mid-flight snack while watching movies on the flight.

Club Autus lounge was good with plenty of hot food options and seats. Food option at Club Bauhinia was not bad either, but it didn't look at modern and the amenities was lacking. Both clubs do make HK Style Egg Waffle after 12PM. Make sure you ask for one before walking out of the lounges.

DPS lounge was extremely crowded at night and there was only two showers. I had to wait in line for 45 mins to take a shower. There were quite a few food options and they were all pretty bad.

Conclusion:
I saw a sign at check-in that anyone can pay only US$7xx to upgrade at check-in to upgrade to business from economy, and I noticed quite a few people in J cabin were paid-upgrades. I would do that in a heartbeat from LAX-HKG, for that it is an almost 16hr flight and everything was amazing. In the future if this fare is in the $2000 range, it'll definitely be an excellent choice over US and Chinese airlines. I just hope they get their financial problems sorted out and hopefully they will fly to NYC in the near future.
hsumh316 and flockavelliFT like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:57 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by kchanbeki
DPS lounge was extremely crowded at night and there was only two showers. I had to wait in line for 45 mins to take a shower. There were quite a few food options and they were all pretty bad.
What time did you arrive at DPS for that 130am flight, and did check in take very long? I will be coming from Ubud, and still questioning when I should leave for the airport.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by DavidDTW

What time did you arrive at DPS for that 130am flight, and did check in take very long? I will be coming from Ubud, and still questioning when I should leave for the airport.
I arrived at 10pm. Check-in was fast, but immigration line was huge.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by kchanbeki
I arrived at 10pm. Check-in was fast, but immigration line was huge.
Thanks. That’s what I was wondering, since getting through immigration at arrivals took me two hours.

Did HX give you an express pass for security? I got one at HKG.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
Originally Posted by DavidDTW

Thanks. Thats what I was wondering, since getting through immigration at arrivals took me two hours.
?
in 2012, when we were still paying fee and arrival at old terminal I've lined up for more than half an hour at dps, but this time I was 2nd or 3rd in line around 6pm. Departure, the line was rather long around 11pm, around 15 min last night.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:57 am

HX needs to get a handle on the nonfunctional "new" seat issue. Was on B-LGE from LAX-BKK, same aircraft both legs. LAX-HKG I started out in 12K, that seat failed about 3 hours into the flight - no power. There were 3 alternative seats available all with issues. 17A and 18A - no recline but fully functional IFE. 19A with a working seat but no IFE volume. I don't use the IFE much so 19A it was. No compensation of any kind offered and I did not ask, as I reminded myself of how much I paid for my ticket.

HKG-BKK once again B-LGE and this time I had 18A. They let me board and sit down without a word, full well knowing 18A was inoperable. I addressed this with the crew prior to taking off. J was completely full except for 17A. They manually reclined 17A after take off so I could stretch out. Returned to 18A for landing. I was offered 150HKD discount on duty free without asking. I did complain about the lack of maintenance / caring especially on a 6 month old aircraft. This aircraft was on the ground for 4.5 hours between flights and the only seat that was working after was 12K.

I know others have mentioned the nonfunctional seat issues on the new configurations. I find it hard to believe HX finds this acceptable and I wonder if this is where the current financial problems come into play. I have flown millions of miles and it has been years since I've had a seat issue and it really wasn't an issue. Delta changed my 1st class (domestic) seat to another and left my original seat empty. The only other issue I can remember is a wet carpet problem due to a leak in the galley on an EVA flight which was solved by laying down multiple comforters. In my 20+ years of traveling this single aircraft (at only 6 months old) had more issues than I have ever personally experienced.

If I had paid $X,XXX instead of $XXX I would be highly irritated with the seating marry-go-round along with their disinterest in fixing the problems. I was actually looking forward to flying HX again in the future to use my upgrade certificate and using miles for a free flight, now I may rethink this. I'll wait and see how my return trip goes.

I still do appreciate them honoring this deal but if they want to compete for real business class travelers paying a premium then they need to get their act together. Until then, they will continue to bleed cash, cut routes, and shed aircraft until there is nothing left.
NJSwamplands likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:12 am

That must be the plane I was on. I got 19A, and was given 18A after its occupant chose not to fly, as my watching seat. I kept 19A for sleeping.

Seems very efficient.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVPG
Funny that you mentioned that, a couple years ago, passing through HKG-US, due to the "enhanced security" all water bottles/ liquids were empty out right before the gate. I think that might have changed because I was able to bring my Starbucks drink (gate 215 just in case anyone wondering ) straight up onto the plane and water bottles in my backpack. This was on 03/02/19 so maybe we don't need to throw away liquid anymore.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:22 am

Just flew this fare recently, SFO-HKG-SGN-HKG-LAX (02/25- 03/02).

Check in @ SFO: Y line was long, C line is short, it was alright, the check in attendant got the job done but I didn't received none of the post card "you know what we're talking about" so was kind of sad. Cause that would be a cool souvenir. Lol

Air France Skyteam lounge @ SFO: It was meh, very small "cozy" lounge, I was in and out in about 30 minutes. If this was during the rush hour, I would imagine that most people will have to stand.

Flight experience from SFO-HKG: I believe this is an older version with no air vents. The temperature was cool enough to sleep (I did changed out to my short and thin shirt). I was thirsty!!! Saw flight attendant walked through a few times but she didn't stop at all to offer me any water or drinks. (From reading the posts, seem like they are reactive service type of thing... but honestly if you see someone is up, offer them something? The return flight was exactly that!) Food portions were tiny, and I made a mistake of just ordering the strawberry ice cream. Ordered Dim sum for mid-flight snack and it was alright, tasted better than it look, that's for sure. I asked for ginger ale for drink during my snack and it was served in a tiny glass again, the same with water. Would have preferred an empty glass with ice and a whole can.

Lounge @ HKG: we went to the main lounge located the middle of 200' gate. Shower, amenities (I asked for a shaver), foods, bars, seatings are adequate. Liked the fact that there's a bartender that can make you coffee/ drinks. (They do have soy milk, just ask).

Flight experience HKG-SGN: this one was weird, so just like many peeps here, I was downgraded to Y because supposedly they have no Y cabin. Once I came onboard, I found out that they have a C cabin. Spoke to the flight attendant, flight attendant called purser, purser called gate attendant. Gate attendant told me that because I have accepted the change to Y and compensations(?), I was not allow to move to C. I asked her what compensations were offered cause I got none? And she just kept saying that it was already offered and I should contact customer service. Moving on, it was only 2 hours, and the first 5 rows after C were all empty so I didn't care much. Just missing out some extra points. But still... a little bit of a bad taste.

Return:

Flight experience SGN- HKG: domestic 321 first class seat, service was quick and efficient. Ordered French toast and it was good. Got an hour of nap in.

Lounge @ HKG: same lounge, same experience.

Flight experience HKG-LAX: Was able to bring my Starbucks drink straight onto the plane even though US bound flight is subjected to "enhanced security". The whole waiting area was roped off, and each passenger/ family required to answer questions before reaching the gate area. No bags need to be checked or opened to be check unlike my previous experiences departing from HKG to US. Airplane's interior is definitely newer than the one we got from SFO-HKG. Flight attendant is a bit more proactive on this leg. She constantly offered water, orange juice. When she saw me woken up, she came right over and told me that they have snacks menu available in case I'm hungry or would like some water. It was a better flight for sure. Oh, two air nozzles make a difference in term of sleeping. I feel more refreshed on this flight for whatever reasons. Maybe tailwind and a quicker flight time help. I was in 16, I think all 3 window seats behind me are all broken, as in they can't go fully flat.

Overall, it was great, comfortable flights for the amount that we paid. Got Gold status to boost (not sure what I would use that for though lol). The only small complaint is the small glassware for drink. If I ever fly them again, I'll make sure to press the call button.
hsumh316 and flockavelliFT like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:05 am

I flew HKG-LAX on tail B-LGE yesterday, sat in 12K, and it was fully operational. There were several open J seats in case it wasn't. The plane had no wifi for the entire flight though! As Roseanne Roseannadana used to say "It's always something!"

Service wasn't nearly as good as on my outbound last week. Those FAs were constantly refilling my water bottle (for example). Yesterday, I barely saw the FAs except during meal service.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
Originally Posted by flyer89
Check in @ SFO: Y line was long, C line is short, it was alright, the check in attendant got the job done but I didn't received none of the post card "you know what we're talking about" so was kind of sad. Cause that would be a cool souvenir. Lol

Flight experience from SFO-HKG: I believe this is an older version with no air vents. The temperature was cool enough to sleep (I did changed out to my short and thin shirt). I was thirsty!!! Saw flight attendant walked through a few times but she didn't stop at all to offer me any water or drinks. (From reading the posts, seem like they are reactive service type of thing... but honestly if you see someone is up, offer them something? The return flight was exactly that!) Food portions were tiny, and I made a mistake of just ordering the strawberry ice cream. Ordered Dim sum for mid-flight snack and it was alright, tasted better than it look, that's for sure. I asked for ginger ale for drink during my snack and it was served in a tiny glass again, the same with water. Would have preferred an empty glass with ice and a whole can.

Lounge @ HKG: we went to the main lounge located the middle of 200' gate. Shower, amenities (I asked for a shaver), foods, bars, seatings are adequate. Liked the fact that there's a bartender that can make you coffee/ drinks. (They do have soy milk, just ask).

Flight experience HKG-SGN: this one was weird, so just like many peeps here, I was downgraded to Y because supposedly they have no Y cabin.

Return:

Flight experience SGN- HKG: domestic 321 first class seat, service was quick and efficient. Ordered French toast and it was good. Got an hour of nap in.

Flight experience HKG-LAX: Was able to bring my Starbucks drink straight onto the plane even though US bound flight is subjected to "enhanced security". The whole waiting area was roped off, and each passenger/ family required to answer questions before reaching the gate area. No bags need to be checked or opened to be check unlike my previous experiences departing from HKG to US. Airplane's interior is definitely newer than the one we got from SFO-HKG. Flight attendant is a bit more proactive on this leg. She constantly offered water, orange juice. When she saw me woken up, she came right over and told me that they have snacks menu available in case I'm hungry or would like some water. It was a better flight for sure. Oh, two air nozzles make a difference in term of sleeping. I feel more refreshed on this flight for whatever reasons. Maybe tailwind and a quicker flight time help. I was in 16, I think all 3 window seats behind me are all broken, as in they can't go fully flat.

Overall, it was great, comfortable flights for the amount that we paid. Got Gold status to boost (not sure what I would use that for though lol). The only small complaint is the small glassware for drink. If I ever fly them again, I'll make sure to press the call button.
No, i didn't get the card either.

for a dessert, I had a cheese plate, it was exactly the same as a mid flight snack. I ordered a pan fried pork loin in a deep fried whole wheat Chinese bun for my mid flight snack, it was more like deep fried than pan fried, it kind of tasted like katsudon minus rice. I found a little hair, but I just put it aside and didn't make noise. If I were paying $x,xxx, then maybe?

if you wanted another ice cream, don't be shy and just ask. The worst you get is a no. They had 2 cabernet saugvignons, and nothing else for red I found it a bit bizarre, but I ordered each one so I could compare, no problem. I actually think it helps fa if we order multiple drinks at once.

good you've got an lounge access despite the downgrade to y. The bartender makes good cocktails, I liked his mai tai.

on my red eye dps-hkg a330, I saw French toast as well, but I wanted to have my meal after taking off with drinks, so I had noodles and dim sum, which was ok.

hkg-lax, bag checks were only random. What's up with interviews for all US bound pax? If you're a true terrorist, of course you answer cookie cutter way. Wasting everybody's time. Is Starbucks coffee THAT better than free coffee from the lounge?

I didn't remember air nozzle, I found temperature was fine on all flights.

at dps, I was directed to check in with an available y agent, I saw a sign says $300 for an upgrade. It said miles will be credited according to the originally purchased fare.

Last edited by maverikbc; Mar 7, 2019 at 5:21 pm
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:42 am

Lol, the iced coffee in the lounge was really good. But Starbucks...well let's just say it's more like a habit than anything since I go there at least once a day. Plus that Matcha Azuki Blossom Latter look so delicious that I have to order that (we don't have cherry blossom drink in the States), and I honestly thing that Starbucks in Asia are miles better than the one in the States lol.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.