Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] AA/BA: CAI-MEX o/w $1488USD

Old Aug 1, 18, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold

Looks like some pretty attractive pricing on CAI-(A)-(B)-MEX in J where both A and B is pretty flexible. Most pricing engines very much prefer LH to FRA or BA to LHR then AA across the pond.

Fare basis J1NFFMN5, and is fully flexible.
Changes after departure appear to reprice using the historical fare.
Base fare is $870.
This fare is not constructed, and has an MPM of 9256.
Unlimited stopovers and transits permitted.
This looks like a fare you can have some fun with.

CAI-LHR-LAX-MEX comes pretty close to maxing it out and breaks down as follows credited to AS as a (base) member:

CAI-LHR on BA in J (2197mi) is 5492mi EQM and 7689mi RDM.
LHR-LAX on AA in J (5456mi) is 10912mi EQM and 10912mi RDM.
LAX-MEX on AA in J (1553mi) is 3106mi EQM and 3106mi RDM.
Total: 19509 EQM (7.6cpm) and 21707 RDM (6.9cpm).
For an AA member it would be:

CAI-LHR on BA in J (2197mi) is 3295mi EQM and 2746mi RDM and $550 EQD.
LHR-LAX on AA in J (5456mi) is 16368mi EQM and $766 EQD.
LAX-MEX on AA in J (1553mi) is 4659mi EQM and $218 EQD.
Total: 24322 EQM (6.2cpm) and $1534 EQD and 7666-14119 RDM based on status tier.
This isn't the single best deal going, of course, but given it books into J if you need to get back over the holidays, this could be a pretty big savings, or a good way to kick off a new program year.

Oh, and if you want, you can grab a leg on one of the 32T's by forcing a stop in JFK -- and you could stop in JFK too. This seems to bump the fare up a few dollars likely due to a penalty for exceeding MPM (?).

Google Flights Link: https://goo.gl/flights/zwqQe
NOTE: Google Flights doesn't seem to be able to price in the stopover, Matrix does, and AA's multi-city tool does too.

Last edited by arcticbull; Aug 1, 18 at 2:07 am Reason: 32T via JFK
Old Aug 1, 18, 3:14 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by arcticbull View Post
Looks like some pretty attractive pricing on CAI-(A)-(B)-MEX in J where both A and B is pretty flexible. Most pricing engines very much prefer LH to FRA or BA to LHR then AA across the pond.

Oh, and if you want, you can grab a leg on one of the 32T's by forcing a stop in JFK -- and you could stop in JFK too. This seems to bump the fare up a few dollars likely due to a penalty for exceeding MPM (?).

NOTE: Google Flights doesn't seem to be able to price in the stopover, Matrix does, and AA's multi-city tool does too.
Here is the the breakdown for AS Mileage Plan Members!

James

PS: This should be in the Premium Fare Thread.
Old Aug 1, 18, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Wow, yeah, I meant to start this over at Premium Fares, /cc mods. Love that spreadsheet, Flying for Fun.
Old Aug 1, 18, 3:53 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Wow, yeah, I meant to start this over at Premium Fares, /cc mods. Love that spreadsheet, Flying for Fun.
Thanks, I like Milecalc but it can't handle mixed class nor differing rates for different fare buckets. It is pretty basic but quick on the calculations!

I have been watching a fully BA itinerary YVR-LHR-CPT return in F (A) for January in the $6K range. With no AS status it would give you MVP getting there and MVPG on the return with 101K RDM which as you know, is enough for a CX J North America to SE Asia RETURN and your MVPG Status would be good until December 2020.

I also asked the mods to move it.

James
Old Aug 1, 18, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Interesting fare. I've been playing around with this and there's a lot that can be done here. Unfortunately, it looks like free stopovers are only allowed in certain regions (i.e. not the Middle East) for whatever reason.

Here's an example

Newbtravelle likes this.
Old Aug 1, 18, 3:07 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal

Fare basis J1NFFMN5, and is fully flexible.
Changes after departure appear to reprice using the historical fare.
Base fare is $870.
This fare is not constructed, and has an MPM of 9256.
Unlimited stopovers and transits permitted.
This looks like a fare you can have some fun with.

CAI-LHR-LAX-MEX comes pretty close to maxing it out and breaks down as follows credited to AS as a (base) member:

For an AA member it would be:

This isn't the single best deal going, of course, but given it books into J if you need to get back over the holidays, this could be a pretty big savings, or a good way to kick off a new program year.

How are you coming up with those EQD values for AA? EQDs for AA coded, non-special fare itineraries are based upon price and you usually don't know how each leg will breakdown until it posts.
Old Aug 1, 18, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by skunker View Post
How are you coming up with those EQD values for AA? EQDs for AA coded, non-special fare itineraries are based upon price and you usually don't know how each leg will breakdown until it posts.
Yeah, those figures are definitely invented. AFAIK, your statement is accurate concerning mixed carriers booked on the same fare component.
Old Aug 1, 18, 9:09 pm

Swingaling, This is the craziest itinerary I have seen in quite a while... how did you manage to get WAY more than 5 segments...?
Would you be crediting those flights to different programs?
Old Aug 1, 18, 9:14 pm

We are flyijg this in 17 days, booked last fall and upgraded LHR-LAX to F for 25k AA miles each. It has a child discount too so was a good deal as we have three kids under 11.
Definitely a solid fare. Been there in some shape or form for a while. When i booked it had a companion RT fare for about 2x.
Old Aug 2, 18, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Sisifo View Post
Swingaling, This is the craziest itinerary I have seen in quite a while... how did you manage to get WAY more than 5 segments...?
Would you be crediting those flights to different programs?
This fare allows unlimited transfers, so you can have up to 16 segments. Not too hard to string it all together, provided you remain within 125% of MPM.

Im not planning to fly this. If I were, Id credit the SV and LX/LH/A3 flights to DL and UA, respectively.
Old Aug 2, 18, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Interesting. In my booking past booking experience, the EQD assigned to each leg has been (SEGMENT_DISTANCE / TOTAL_DISTANCE) * (BASE_FARE + YQ + YR), to within a few dollars. Looking back, my estimates were off by +/- 10% which to your point isn't accurate enough to list here. I'd been truing up my estimates against what actually posted after the fact.
swingaling likes this.

Last edited by arcticbull; Aug 2, 18 at 10:25 pm
Old Aug 2, 18, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Oh yeah, fun fact, the AA multi-city engine doesn't mind you revisiting an airport en route too, so hypothetically, you could book this as CAI-LHR-LAX-SFO (stopover) SFO-LAX-MEX if you were SFO based.
Old Aug 2, 18, 11:27 pm

Programs: AS 75K
it seems that the LHR-LAX sector always prices out with AA, Can it price with BA? I haven't had any luck.
Old Aug 2, 18, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

I've been playing with this fare for a couple days now and it appears the TATL leg must be AA operated. I'd love to be wrong!
Old Aug 3, 18, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Oh, haha, I just realized Qsuites is bookable via Paris and probably London.

Search this Thread