Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] AA/BA: CAI-MEX o/w $1488USD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] AA/BA: CAI-MEX o/w $1488USD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
CUN, GDL and PVR are gone now.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:39 am

Condolences to this fare, very bummed it is gone. Sitting in T3 First lounge after the CAI-LHR segment on BA and looking forward to AA F to LAX in a few hours (upgraded all 5 of us at booking). Had nice tours of Giza pyramids and step pyramid while in Cairo for a few hot days.

We were planning to go back to CAI over Christmas and use this fare on a more circuitous routing in Europe to get home, so bummed it is no longer there.

Mods, send this one to the disucssion forum...
Calchas and swingaling like this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: BA, JAL
i'm sure the best thing about this one was the flexibility.
there are similar fare prices in the opposite direction that earn a similar number of miles.
1500 > (35k) for AS.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne
Probably what finished it. If a bunch of random carriers in the middle east start demanding payment from AA for redeemed full J flight coupons, at the MITA rate, I expect it gets looked at quite quickly.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne
there are similar fare prices in the opposite direction that earn a similar number of miles.
1500 > (35k) for AS.
DE?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: BA, JAL
Originally Posted by swingaling
DE?
SQ 36 hours
swingaling likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Slightly off-topic but related to the fare nonetheless. Now as the fare is gone from GDS, how do I make changes to the existing itinerary?
The fare rules state:
CHANGES
ANY TIME
CHANGES PERMITTED FOR NO-SHOW/REISSUE/REVALIDATION.
NOTE -
A CHANGE IS A ROUTING / OR DATE / OR FLIGHT
MODIFICATION.
CHANGE IS PERMITTED WITHIN TICKET VALIDITY OF
ORIGINAL TICKET.
THE ORIGINAL AMOUNT REMAINS NON-REFUNDABLE.
--------------------------------------------------
WHERE THIS FARE IS COMBINED WITH ANOTHER FARE THE
PENALTY CONDITIONS OF THE CHANGED FARE COMPONENT
WILL APPLY.
CALCULATION OF REISSUES
//CHANGES BEFORE OUTBOUND DEPARTURE//
WHEN THE FIRST FARE COMPONENT IS CHANGED THE
ITINERARY MUST BE REPRICED USING CURRENT FARES
IN EFFECT ON THE DATE THE TICKET IS REISSUED.
-----
WHEN THERE ARE NO CHANGES TO THE FIRST FARE
COMPONENT BUT OTHER FARE COMPONENTS ARE CHANGED
THE ITINERARY MUST BE REPRICED USING HISTORICAL
FARES IN EFFECT ON THE PREVIOUS TICKETING DATE OR
CURRENT FARES IN EFFECT ON THE DATE OF TICKET
REISSUE WHICHEVER IS LOWER.
//CHANGES AFTER DEPARTURE//
THE ITINERARY MUST BE REPRICED USING HISTORICAL
FARES IN EFFECT ON THE PREVIOUS TICKETING DATE.
-----
WHEN THE NEW ITINERARY RESULTS IN A HIGHER FARE
THE DIFFERENCE WILL BE COLLECTED.
-----
WHEN THE NEW ITINERARY RESULTS IN A LOWER FARE A
REFUND OF THE RESIDUAL AMOUNT LESS THE APPLICABLE
PENALTY WILL BE MADE.
-----
REISSUES/EXCHANGES NOT ALLOWED TO EOU/ERU FARE
TYPES.
Without changing the first flight (or even after the departure of the first flight), my understanding is that one change should be possible, as that would fall under "THE ITINERARY MUST BE REPRICED USING HISTORICAL FARES IN EFFECT ON THE PREVIOUS TICKETING DATE." clause and only the subsequent changes would require repricing as the fare is no longer available on the new ticket date. Is this correct?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The fare is not gone from the GDS. It is just no longer available for new tickets. If you do a historical search you will still find it.

A change after departure must be re-priced using fares in effect on the date of original issue, yes. Since this was a full J fare with no change fees, in principle you will only need to pay the difference in taxes, airport fees, YQ, and forex movements on making such a change. However you may find that AA (or whoever issued your ticket) are reluctant to make changes to the ticket because of the relatively low price and possibility of complexity and drag their feet over it.

I think the wording is misleading. Subsequent changes will still need to use the historical fares in effect on the original ticketing date.

Note that “first flight” is not the same as “first fare component”. A fare component is the group of all of the flights that were covered under one fare.

Last edited by Calchas; Aug 22, 2018 at 1:53 am
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:20 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Thanks Calchas, you are right - it is still there indeed. I got confused because of my recent experience when trying to make changes to INN0EMN7 fare (after departure). I called AA and I was told that they have to upfare it to the currently available fare since INN0EMN7 was no longer available. That priced at 3 times the originally paid fare, so I passed. Am I correct thinking that it wasn't quite right?

Thanks for clarification on the fare component. So, in case of CAI-MEX one way, a fare component would be the entire journey - correct?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think AA were messing you about. The rule is very simple, after the first flight coupon is lifted, historical fares must be used. I’m not aware of any exceptions.

Yes one way is one component (unless you had side trips or something exotic).
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:49 pm

Terrible news continues with a whole slew of really lucrative "legacy" AA fares getting pulled in early Sept. They had a TON of amazing circa 2008-09 J, JR, F and FR fares, mostly ex-India to Mexico and further south. For some reason, MEX, PTY and GRU were just never scrubbed from the system and so these amazingly cheap full fare F and J fares stuck around. Go look at historical fares in EF for BOM-PTY, BOM-GRU in F. They all were Pacific routings and yielded enormous amounts of EQMs (15k MPM, and a 3x multiplier, you get the picture...). And if you EoE'd an initial flight on to them you could potentially both dump India's luxury tax (by making it appear you werent really originating in India) and trick AA into crediting as distance as opposed to fare based. BOM-MEX was an Atlantic routing and used to allow routing through AUH and EY First apartments when AA used to put their code on AUH-JFK.

What a huge loss!
Old Oct 11, 2018, 9:02 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
did these fares allow for added segments to other middle east destinations?

Originally Posted by arcticbull
Looks like some pretty attractive pricing on CAI-(A)-(B)-MEX in J where both A and B is pretty flexible. Most pricing engines very much prefer LH to FRA or BA to LHR then AA across the pond.

Fare basis J1NFFMN5, and is fully flexible.
Changes after departure appear to reprice using the historical fare.
Base fare is $870.
This fare is not constructed, and has an MPM of 9256.
Unlimited stopovers and transits permitted.
This looks like a fare you can have some fun with.

CAI-LHR-LAX-MEX comes pretty close to maxing it out and breaks down as follows credited to AS as a (base) member:

For an AA member it would be:

This isn't the single best deal going, of course, but given it books into J if you need to get back over the holidays, this could be a pretty big savings, or a good way to kick off a new program year.

Oh, and if you want, you can grab a leg on one of the 32T's by forcing a stop in JFK -- and you could stop in JFK too. This seems to bump the fare up a few dollars likely due to a penalty for exceeding MPM (?).

Google Flights Link: https://goo.gl/flights/zwqQe
NOTE: Google Flights doesn't seem to be able to price in the stopover, Matrix does, and AA's multi-city tool does too.
Originally Posted by swingaling
Interesting fare. I've been playing around with this and there's a lot that can be done here. Unfortunately, it looks like free stopovers are only allowed in certain regions (i.e. not the Middle East) for whatever reason.

Here's an example

Originally Posted by skunker
As swingaling showed, there are very few restrictions for routes and carriers. Of course the more you throw at it, the harder it will be to price online.
Wow, these fares were so beautiful. I am wondering how it was possible to add segments after the outbound flown, so return from USA to CAI. Was it possible to add segments on the return to CAI, for example to Amman or other destination in the Middle East? Thanks!!
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOStonTravels
Wow, these fares were so beautiful. I am wondering how it was possible to add segments after the outbound flown, so return from USA to CAI. Was it possible to add segments on the return to CAI, for example to Amman or other destination in the Middle East? Thanks!!
Yes.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Calchas
Yes.
Thats incredible! Can you please tell me what is the best way to check on this in terms of pricing and ticketing, calling up BA directly?

Also the only legs I have left are JFK-LHR-CAI. Would the segment have to be ex LHR (e.g. LHR-TLV) or would it have to be after landing in CAI (e.g. CAI-AMM-TLV)?

Many thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOStonTravels
Thats incredible! Can you please tell me what is the best way to check on this in terms of pricing and ticketing, calling up BA directly?

Also the only legs I have left are JFK-LHR-CAI. Would the segment have to be ex LHR (e.g. LHR-TLV) or would it have to be after landing in CAI (e.g. CAI-AMM-TLV)?

Many thanks!
Would need to be before CAI, because the fare was to/from CAI.

At this point you'll have to examine the historical fare data and current availabilities from ExpertFlyer or KVS and do your best to construct a valid route following the rules, and see what your ticketing carrier says when you want to make the change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.