Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] MIA-GRU under $400 Biz class B787

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] MIA-GRU under $400 Biz class B787

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Something-ist, Bombay Sapphire
Originally Posted by cell7481
Does anyone have experience applying for Mexico’s version of global entry? I will be applying on a layover to wife’s family for Christmas to hopefully make these transits easier since immigration at MEX is a joke.
I filled out my application online (Reliable Traveler Mexico) two weeks before my November trip. I went to the INM office just past immigration in CUN and showed the agents my paperwork. The asked a few other agents and told me no one was on duty to accept the paperwork. They told me I should visit the INM office in downtown Cancun. By the looks on their faces they had no idea what was going on.

Application Process: fill out application online, wait 14 days, bring printed application to airport immigration office (SJD, MEX, CUN only). I had to use google chrome to translate the website because there is no english version available.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: Skymiles, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by AOH
My miles from the 17th haven't posted to delta yet. Did anyone get theirs?
My spouse and I flew on Nov 22 & returned Nov 28. We noticed yesterday that the miles haven't posted yet so send a direct message to Delta via Twitter. Today, the miles have shown up in my spouse's account, but not mine yet.
They said that they would be sending it over to be credited, but that we may want to email the SkyMiles department with a picture of the boarding passes and that it can take up to seven business days to show up in the account.
They provided this link https://www.delta.com/contactus/commentComplaint

I'll probably wait until later today to check again to give them 24 hours from tweeting them as it showed up in my spouse's account right away.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: Not enough to count anymore
Originally Posted by PHX_Flyer
I filled out my application online (Reliable Traveler Mexico) two weeks before my November trip. I went to the INM office just past immigration in CUN and showed the agents my paperwork. The asked a few other agents and told me no one was on duty to accept the paperwork. They told me I should visit the INM office in downtown Cancun. By the looks on their faces they had no idea what was going on.

Application Process: fill out application online, wait 14 days, bring printed application to airport immigration office (SJD, MEX, CUN only). I had to use google chrome to translate the website because there is no english version available.
Ok thanks for the info. I have paperwork filled out and will apply in person in mex during transit for my trip in a couple weeks to Mexico for Christmas.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:32 pm

Ok thanks for the info. I have paperwork filled out and will apply in person in mex during transit for my trip in a couple weeks to Mexico for Christmas.
FYI I was (am technically still am) a member of Viajero Confiable - Mexico's trusted traveler program. While it worked well on entry to Mexico City (go all the way to the left at immigration - it is not well signed), it created terrible issues on exit. As a US citizen, the form which prints at the kiosk does not have an immigration stamp. And even though it is printed and clearly computer generated, it causes issues leaving Mexico (at least it did for me with Aeromexico). One time the boarding agent was hesitant to let me board without the stamp, but ultimately let me leave. The next time they refused to let me board, saying I had to take it up with immigration (on the other side of security of course). Did that, and immigration said no stamp required. Went back to gate, GA refused to radio immigration to confirm what I was told, and would not let me board. Had to go to another gate and plead with that GA to radio someone for help to allow me to board and leave Mexico. After all that, GA at my flight grudingly complied to let me leave, but not before weighing my carry on which was 1 kg over, and I had to go to another area to pay the overage, and she said if I was not back in time she would not hold the boarding door. All it all it was horrendous - so I stopped using it due to not getting the stamp. Seems like the program was really designed only for Mexican citizens.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:47 pm

I am in SAO now, after having completed the first legs of the outbound. Some observations:

In MIA, the MIA-MEX flight departed from gate H4. I did not get pre-TSA, as is the norm when I fly UA, but the Sky Priority line had only two pax waiting, so no issue. Once cleared, I found the Delta Sky Club, and settled in for approximately 45 minutes. The lounge was pleasant, not crowded and had a decent selection of fare that was both healthy and comfort food. Satiated, I made my way to the gate and became engrossed in some online research before realizing that lines had already formed in Zone 1, which at this gate, encompassed Sky Priority. I worried that my carry-on space would have disappeared, but that was not the case and I settled into my 1A seat. AM used an old 737-700 aircraft, still in the previous livery. I imagined they would be retiring this airframe in the near future. My seat selection was ill advised; I regret not having consulted Seatguru. I suppose a previous AM flight in economy YUL-MEX, which I found to be excellent, played a role in my negligence. There was little legroom due to the proximity of the bulkhead without any cutout to accommodate one's legs. Nonetheless, I persevered, and slept in an upright position for most of the flight. I actually would have preferred LH intra Europe business class where the seats are 3-3 configured, but the middle seat is left empty or with a fixed tray in the middle position. IFE was via AM's streaming service or through ancient drop down screens that showed one program for all. I did partake in one of the meal selections, the hamburger steak, which was passable, given the route and length of flight, but certainly nothing more elevated than comfort or diner fare. Were I to pay for a MIA-MEX business class flight, this experience would dissuade me from flying AM.

As a passport holder of a country that does not require a visa for Brazil or Mexico, this was a non-issue for me. Immigration in MEX took approximately 35 minutes. One is required to fill out an immigration form and keep a portion to be handed in when boarding the aircraft exiting MEX. In SAO, no immigration form was required, one merely provided one's passport and visa, if necessary. The whole process of clearing immigration and customs took approximately 15 minutes. I don't travel with checked baggage, so I can't provide details on that process.

In Mexico City, I elected to stay overnight at the Holiday Inn Express Aeropuerto, as rates were inexpensive, they offered complimentary shuttle service to and from both terminals at MEX and they garnered largely favourable reviews. I was happy with my decision. Staff were exceedingly polite, and went the extra mile to seek me out at Puerto 4 when I was waiting in the wrong area, there being another especially for buses and hotel shuttles. I had to forgo breakfast at the hotel, as I caught the 05:00 shuttle to deal with any possible delays in the security procedure at MEX, having been SSSS'd on my last pass through.

For MEX-GRU, I had checked-in online, and as I had no checked luggage, was able to bypass the check-in counters and make my way directly to security. Being so early, the gate was not yet assigned, but I knew from where it usually departed so I headed in that direction. Security was dealt with in an efficient manner, due to the Sky Priority line which was deserted. Once cleared, I made my way to the Aeromexico Salones Premier Lounge to while away two hours. Staff were very friendly and accommodating, with servers waiting on you at your seat and bringing all sorts of beverages, adult included. The food selection was not great, but I did enjoy the pastries and Americano Negro coffee. Once at gate 71, I anticipated being called to the counter to provide visa or passport credentials necessary to enter Brazil. Sure enough, I was paged, and presented my passport which was readily accepted. The boarding process was the same as in MIA, and this time I was more alert in noticing the formation of queues. The aircraft used on this flight, a 787-8 had a 2-2-2 configuration, not my favourite as I travel solo since the passing of my wife. Nonetheless, the 1D seat I had selected had plenty of legroom and aisle access, so I was a happy camper. IFE was good, not great, and I spent the bulk of the ~9 hour flight watching movies and intermittently dozing. Two meals were offered, breakfast shortly after takeoff, and dinner a few hours before landing. As with the MIA-MEX flight, the meals were more comfort food than sophisticated, but they were tasty, diner calibre offerings. That being said, I did enjoy some of their selections, if not all. Some staff were extremely friendly, others not so much, but all were professional.

No immigration/customs forms were required in Brazil, other than passport or visa credentials, so I breezed through immigration and customs in approximately 12 minutes. The bottleneck was the designated Uber pickup in Terminal 2 departures area. There is signage directing one to the proper point, and GRU provides a complimentary interner service that is readily accessible curb side. At 23:00 there were dozens of passengers waiting to be picked up, and as many Uber drivers seeking their passengers. After approximately 25 minutes, I located my driver and we were off, heading to the Hilton Morumbi. The drive took 52 minutes and cost 101 BRL, ~26 USD. So far no hiccups.

All in all, factoring in positioning flights, this deal has proven to be quite lucrative. Kudos and thanks to the OP, Elizabethh.

Last edited by flyme2; Dec 10, 2018 at 11:16 am
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:32 am

Ok just got back to Miami after this deal. Will post my experiences from the flights:

departed on 1/12 on this great fare and had no problems checking in. Delta handles all AM flights on their JV from MIA so the flight control was passed to DL at 24 hours before departure. A DL PNR was generated and the checkin from the AM website was directed to DL. Luckily the back end did a good job of linking the 2 different PNRs and had no problems with online checkin.

I ended up taking an AA red eye from denver for positioning and getting in at 520am. Not leaving until 530pm and not wanting to be an airport zombie for 12 hours i used my hilton aspire free weekend night certificate at the miami Bentley south beach. What a great deal! 420/night rack rate for 80k points for free with that cert. requested a late checkout as soon as the chat with the front desk option opened and was granted within an hour as diamond. I let them know it was more important for a late checkout than an upgrade but also received a 1 bed suite upgrade with city view. I did online checkin and digital key delivery which happened seemlessly and prevented me from having to explain a lot to keep from getting marked as a no show. Got to the hotel about 20 min before sunrise so i dragged my wife down to the beach to watch the sun rise. After watching the sun rise we were one of the first for the free breakfast. After breakfast we slept for a couple hours and then hung out at the beach and had a drink before a couples massage which came out to 249.00 with tip. Since this is coded as a resort property i ended up getting 249 of the 250 dollar annual credit on the aspire card to cover the cost. Departed to the airport again around 230pm.

When checking in i noticed Expedia had sent our SkyMiles Numbers to AM on the reservation with the correct number but coded as an AM instead of delta program. Had the sky club fix and our elite status showed up. Glad i caught or getting credit would have been a huge issue.

Also checked our bags through to GRU so on the overnight we didn’t have to lug to the onsite hilton. We also only received our MIA-MEX BP from DL and said we would have to check in with AM the next morning to receive the further passes. Thought it was strange but didn’t press it.

Flight to MEX was a typical AM flight in J. Option of fish or pasta and decent hard product on the 737 but crews lack refinement of a normal airline. Used the wifi which was powered by Gogo and didn’t lose connection and was only 100 pesos for the 3 hour flight but was slow as expected.

Once we landed immigration was actually not too bad for MEX which is nortorous for huge lines. The foreign line was actually a lot shorter than the national line so my wife and I used the foreign line (she is a Mexican national so we can actually go through either line). After clearing immigration we tried to enroll in Mexico’s version of global entry but they have made the program so restrictive for signup i honestly think they dont want people using it. We arrived at 820pm and were told the hours were now Monday - Friday from 9-8pm for signup. In typical Mexican buaracracy there was no deviation from this even through the sign posted the first time didn’t allude to Monday to Friday only. When coming back we tried again and the sign had been updated to Monday to Friday. So 3 times now i tried to enroll and no one is there to help.

The hilton was easily accessible via Tram to T1 just have your hotel reservation ready to show the gate keepers at the tram entranace both ways. Had a really good breakfast in the morning. Headed to checkin and the lines were actually pretty long so we ended up cutting it closer than i wanted to for re-checkin. Received BPs and had the same problem with the SkyMiles numbers since the DL system didn’t send the updated FF number to AM. Had to write down the numbers for the check in agent at the sky priority counter to update. Once that was done he reprinted and it showed our elite status so i knew we were good.

We were fortunate to get schedule changed onto the 789 both directions which i must say is one of the best J hard products i have flown. The seat in reverse herringbone is great with a lot of room. First time on the 787 and i was impressed with the plane. The crew now was a completely different story. It’s sad to see AM spend so much money on such a great hard product to have such a terrible service / soft product. They really sell themselves short. We chose 1D and 1F middle seats for both flights in case the plane got tech subbed to an 800. The first flight to GRU the crew did not even pass out menus which AM provides for any of their longer flights (Colombia and beyond). The in flight manager served my side and he insisted in speaking to me in spanish even though i responded in English and prefer English as i am not fluent in Spanish. When serving the food he didn’t even bother to remove the plastic wrap on the salad. All service was done from a cart. Luckily the 11am booze rule didn’t apply and once in air they opened the sparkling wine. AM must have also gotten a deal from a Chilean winery because all 4 wine choices were from the same winery. a reg Chard and a “grand reserve” chard, a reg cab. And “grand reserve” cab. I do not typically like cabs and the regular one was grape swill. The grand reserve was a little more palatable. I found this out by asking for a menu and was given a GRU-MEX night flight menu which the food didn’t even come close to matching. Food was a light breakfast shortly after takeoff. In flight lead also dimmed the J cabin to max and locked all windows in the J cabin to that setting, even in the bathroom so you couldn’t lighten to see outside. Breakfast options were either French toast or fruit/cereal so i chose the French toast. After the hurried service the FAs disappeared to their galleys to barely been seen again. They set the bar up but then closed the access to the glasses and bottles until 5 hours into flight. They were also really late setting up the snacks in the mid galley next to the bar but when they finally did there were 2 sandwich options and chips. about 2:45 before landing they started the full dinner service which was 3 courses started with fruit and cheese. There was a shrimp app which after 1 bite i found a large hair in my sauce. The inflight manager barely gave a sorry before switching out. Had a braised beef option which was really good. Just sad they do the beef ribs instead a more traditional steak.

Coming back the flight crew was marginally better but still missed the mark on the basic service. They at least passed out menus this time so we knew what to expect but the service was strange. Being a 1030am departure they did the light snack first which consisted of either turkey on croissant or salmon on a bagel. I chose turkey and it was good. Then the main meal was listed a lunch and service for that started about 4 hours before arrival which is smack in the middle of the flight. No snacks were put out in the galley until after the main meal which kind of defeated the purpose of the snacks. Also the bar wasnt even stocked with ice this time so no luck on actually being able to use the bar itself. The IFE was a different load version which worked differently but better. You could set the handset to display something different than the main screen so it was nice to have the map going on that while i watched shows on the big screen. AM really needs more IFE space as the movies i wanted to watch ended in the first flight so i struggled to find things the rest of that flight and into the return. Also same load on the 738s so once youre tapped youre in trouble lol.

Overall really great time for the mileage run and amazing hard product. Just hope AM can find a way to motivate their crews to step up their service. Maybe a boot camp with DL would help. My wife gets even more frustrated than me as they have this arrogance and they would rather sit in the galleys than provide stellar service. Refining their soft product to have a better service and food options would really propel them into a higher tier airline.
dugb likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:42 am

Great nice review thanks for this. I too am hoping for a 789 tech change on my flights. Let’s see. I fly for carnaval (end of February). Hope you had a good time in Brazil!
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:12 pm

Programs: latam
Hi, did anyone connect at night? What's the best option, book a hotel or stay in Aeromexico's VIP room?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:23 am

The fare rules for the deal were only for the day GRU flights and therefore required an overnight as the Mia flights don’t connect with it. I used the Hilton in T1 for ease and my Hilton status. Really easy to get to with tram. There is also a courtyard accessible with shuttle and they have a T2 desk on the 1st floor. Others are close but I didn’t research.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:49 pm

Did anyone check luggage through on the long layovers? The agent in Miami said no issues doing so. I showed my claim ticket to a transfer agent arriving in MEX and she confirmed that it was fine. But after I got to my hotel, My Delta App decides to tell me my luggage has arrived at baggage claim 3 in MEX. I'm hoping it's a standard message based on the arrival of the flight's other luggage, but I'm a bit nervous now...
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by c5ruzr
Did anyone check luggage through on the long layovers? The agent in Miami said no issues doing so. I showed my claim ticket to a transfer agent arriving in MEX and she confirmed that it was fine. But after I got to my hotel, My Delta App decides to tell me my luggage has arrived at baggage claim 3 in MEX. I'm hoping it's a standard message based on the arrival of the flight's other luggage, but I'm a bit nervous now...
i did the same thing and got the same message. My bag arrived in GRU without an issue and on the flight.

Coming back the checkin in GRU tried to tell me they couldn’t check bags through to Miami. I asked for a supervisor and she granted an “exception” claiming overnight isn’t normal allowed for security. She asked if I had any electronics in the bag and I didn’t. received bags in Miami without issue and nothing missing.
c5ruzr likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: latam
The fare rules for the deal were only for the day GRU flights and therefore required an overnight as the Mia flights don’t connect with it. I used the Hilton in T1 for ease and my Hilton status. Really easy to get to with tram. There is also a courtyard accessible with shuttle and they have a T2 desk on the 1st floor. Others are close but I didn’t research.
I stayed in those sleeping capsules. I thought it was very good. In terminal 2.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:13 am

Oh nice. I would have done that by myself but selling the wife on that idea wasn’t worth the effort lol.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:19 pm

i did the same thing and got the same message. My bag arrived in GRU without an issue and on the flight.

Coming back the checkin in GRU tried to tell me they couldn’t check bags through to Miami. I asked for a supervisor and she granted an “exception” claiming overnight isn’t normal allowed for security. She asked if I had any electronics in the bag and I didn’t. received bags in Miami without issue and nothing missing.
Confirmed no issues on the outbound. They originally tagged it through at GRU (to MIA), but then claimed they couldn't for security based on the layover time and retagged. I didn't argue and just collected it in MEX.

I'm back in Miami. Had a good trip (mainly to Rio) and leveraged my TK E+ with a Delta status match and should confirm Platinum for the year! Thanks elizabethh for the find. Anyone else Status Match on this one? So far 2/3 of my repo flights' upgrades booked on DL have cleared and the 3rd looks promising! I guess they've earned some more of my business!

Also had an issue with MIA-MEX crediting automatically to DL. It had been 7+ days (and the MEX-GRU leg came through after about 2 days) so I did the online form and a few hours later it posted.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:53 am

"leveraged my TK E+ with a Delta status match"

TK E+ is what? I usually stick with American so I am new with Delta. Any advice?

Is there a Status Challenge I can do?

Last edited by miami355; Feb 14, 2019 at 2:01 am Reason: sp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.