Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

ZRH-PMI LX&LH Business crediting to Eurobonus

Old May 29, 18, 12:55 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK *G, FPC, GA/AG

I'm looking to visit a freind in Palma de Mallorca and since that flight would cost me about 500 bucks in Economy with minimal miles I decided to spend a little more to get most miles out of those flights: What I came up with was the following
ZRH-LH-FRA-LH-MUC-LH-PMI in C Flex; 1000+2000+2000=5000 miles
PMI-LX-GVA-LH-MUC-LH(per flightradar24 the flight is operated under LH flight number while LX is only codeshare)-ZRH in D Saver; 1200+2000+2000=5200 miles
Total: 10200 miles.
Price: CHF 1270.-

(For CHF 1452.- the return can be flown as PMI-MUC-FRA-ZRH in C Flex giving 5000 miles but it'd be Flex.)

Last edited by Nick Art; May 30, 18 at 12:15 am
Old Jun 2, 18, 4:04 pm

Programs: United Gold, BA Exec Club, Via Rail
IMHO it's not a great value to fly business on these European flights, you're looking at a normal economy seat with perhaps the middle seat blocked off and a light snack. Sure you'll earn more frequent flyer points but if that's what you're concerned about I'd look into cheap long haul flights (i.e. LCY -> TYO) on Star Alliance partners. Case in point I'm spending around $600 USD to fly roundtrip between Ottawa,Canada and Hong Kong which will rack up around 18,000 miles with United.

Have you considered flying out of GVA? I'm seeing non-stops between GVA and PMI for 178 CHF, 84 EUR non-stop between FRA and PMI on RyanAir and 86 EUR non-stop between MUC and PMI on RyanAir/Norwegian. Even with bag fees it's still way less than business class. Trains between Zurich and Geneva are fast, reliable and dirt cheap (around 20-30 CHFs on SBB)

Hope that helps.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jun 3, 18, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by j2simpso View Post
IMHO it's not a great value to fly business on these European flights, you're looking at a normal economy seat with perhaps the middle seat blocked off and a light snack. Sure you'll earn more frequent flyer points but if that's what you're concerned about I'd look into cheap long haul flights (i.e. LCY -> TYO) on Star Alliance partners. Case in point I'm spending around $600 USD to fly roundtrip between Ottawa,Canada and Hong Kong which will rack up around 18,000 miles with United.

Have you considered flying out of GVA? I'm seeing non-stops between GVA and PMI for 178 CHF, 84 EUR non-stop between FRA and PMI on RyanAir and 86 EUR non-stop between MUC and PMI on RyanAir/Norwegian. Even with bag fees it's still way less than business class. Trains between Zurich and Geneva are fast, reliable and dirt cheap (around 20-30 CHFs on SBB)

Hope that helps.

Safe Travels,

James

Thanks for the input, but personally I wouldn't fly out of GVA or MUC (or at least Iíd fly ZRH-MUC/GVA). I do also have some kind of prejudice regarding Ryanair or Norwegian that only if there is really no other option Iíd fly them.
Also: No lounge access.
Btw train wise in Switzerland I have a GA so I donít look up prices that much but 30 bucks ZRH-GVA seems really low for SBB. Itís more 60+ I think...

Edit: I looked it up and woth HalbTax oneway itís 46.- bucks, 92.- without, 184.- with return.

I know a value of over 100 bucks per 1000 miles is really bad, but I really have to earn myself some miles XD

Thanka for the input about flights on united, Iíll look into that. Iíll have to check how much miles that will rank up with Eurobonus. Iím also looking at some ZRH-ARN-HKG flights for 400.- return which will give me 10000 miles as well :P

Last edited by Nick Art; Jun 3, 18 at 9:03 am
Old Jun 3, 18, 7:43 am

I have a couple suggestions for you to consider if you're interested in racking up status with EuroBonus/Swiss:
  • Swiss Miles & More Credit Card
    • Earn 1.5 Swiss miles per CHF spent
    • Earn 20,000 welcome miles for signing up (till June 20th)
    • Ability to convert up to 25,0000 miles earned on card to status miles every year
    • Annual fee of 120 CHF (60 CHF for first year)
  • Eurobonus Card (for Scandinavian residents)
    • 22,000 mile bonus (between signup and purchase
    • Complimentary Access to Fly Premium
    • 1,495 kr annual fee (750 kr if EuroBonus Platinum member)
You may also want to consider joining and collecting miles against the Asiana Club. They'll give you lifetime Diamond Plus (=Star Alliance Gold) status once you've racked up 500,000 miles flying with any of the Status Alliance Partners (i.e. you don't have to set foot on an Asiana flight but fly 500,000 miles with the likes of LH, LX, AC, UA, ...). I myself collect to United and are aiming for lifetime Gold status (=1,000,000 miles on United flights) within the next 15-20 years. For me this route makes the most sense since I tend to be the cheapest Star Alliance tickets imaginable when I fly and typically United is the cheapest option (i.e. I don't want to worry about choosing the right fare class to earn status miles).

On the other hand if you care about is having lounge access whenever you fly I'd recommend looking into credit cards from American Express (notably the Platinum) which offer worldwide lounge access regardless of which airline you are flying. There's also Priority Pass for $399 USD/year for access to over a thousand lounges globally or United Club for $550 USD/year for global star alliance lounge access when travelling on a star alliance airline.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jun 3, 18, 8:52 am
Original Poster

I have a couple suggestions for you to consider if you're interested in racking up status with EuroBonus/Swiss:
  • Swiss Miles & More Credit Card
    • Earn 1.5 Swiss miles per CHF spent
    • Earn 20,000 welcome miles for signing up (till June 20th)
    • Ability to convert up to 25,0000 miles earned on card to status miles every year
    • Annual fee of 120 CHF (60 CHF for first year)
  • Eurobonus Card (for Scandinavian residents)
    • 22,000 mile bonus (between signup and purchase
    • Complimentary Access to Fly Premium
    • 1,495 kr annual fee (750 kr if EuroBonus Platinum member)
You may also want to consider joining and collecting miles against the Asiana Club. They'll give you lifetime Diamond Plus (=Star Alliance Gold) status once you've racked up 500,000 miles flying with any of the Status Alliance Partners (i.e. you don't have to set foot on an Asiana flight but fly 500,000 miles with the likes of LH, LX, AC, UA, ...). I myself collect to United and are aiming for lifetime Gold status (=1,000,000 miles on United flights) within the next 15-20 years. For me this route makes the most sense since I tend to be the cheapest Star Alliance tickets imaginable when I fly and typically United is the cheapest option (i.e. I don't want to worry about choosing the right fare class to earn status miles).

On the other hand if you care about is having lounge access whenever you fly I'd recommend looking into credit cards from American Express (notably the Platinum) which offer worldwide lounge access regardless of which airline you are flying. There's also Priority Pass for $399 USD/year for access to over a thousand lounges globally or United Club for $550 USD/year for global star alliance lounge access when travelling on a star alliance airline.

Safe Travels,

James
Thanks gor the suggestion!
I have actually looked into them before.
Now as a Swiss resident the only card that would give me anything would be the Miles and More credit card, but I donít like miles and more (have been a member for a long time).
The Eurobonus card while absolutely great in my case recuires a residencd in Scandinavia, which i donít have. (I have a friend who has a house there but I wouldnít want to use that for this case)

All other cards like the citi prestige require a US social security number which I donít have :P

So credit card wise in Switzerland the offers are pretty dim.

Now the Asiana Club Lifetime Status sounds great and I will look further into it, but currently Iím still inclined to go for the 10 years Eurobonus Gold challenge which will give it to me for life. Being stationed in ZRH I can route a lot of flghts through scandinavia which will give me a lot of miles.

Priority Pass is an option, but Iíd much rather prefer to get a *A status for future use. If I manage to get on with my gold status run I will have lifetime by the time I turn 30.

Thanks a lot for your input and time in helping and giving me ideas and suggestions. i really appreciate it
Old Jun 3, 18, 11:06 am

1. You may want to look into American Express Switzerland. Their Gold card (annual fee 300 Chf waived for first year) gives you lounge access to over 1,000 lounges globally. Additionally as a travel card, you'll get benefits like travel insurance and travel discounts via AmEx Travel. In addition you'll collect points you can transfer to travel rewards partners like Hilton and British Airways. They also have a Platinum card with an annual fee of 700 Chf which offers expanded benefits like a concierge service.

AmEx is my go to card as a Canadian.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jun 3, 18, 11:44 am
Original Poster

1. You may want to look into American Express Switzerland. Their Gold card (annual fee 300 Chf waived for first year) gives you lounge access to over 1,000 lounges globally. Additionally as a travel card, you'll get benefits like travel insurance and travel discounts via AmEx Travel. In addition you'll collect points you can transfer to travel rewards partners like Hilton and British Airways. They also have a Platinum card with an annual fee of 700 Chf which offers expanded benefits like a concierge service.

AmEx is my go to card as a Canadian.

Safe Travels,

James
Very Very interesting. Ill already be en route to the AMEX Centurion card then XD Thanks, I did not know this one was available in Switzerland.
Old Jul 21, 18, 3:25 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by Nick Art View Post
I'm looking to visit a freind in Palma de Mallorca and since that flight would cost me about 500 bucks in Economy with minimal miles I decided to spend a little more to get most miles out of those flights:
Although you travelled now but in general it might be nice to know.From my experience when focusing on miles with LH (in Europe) crediting to SK EB the booking classes Z and D give best value for the money especially if you only transit in Germany.
Old Jul 21, 18, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jainzar View Post
Although you travelled now but in general it might be nice to know.From my experience when focusing on miles with LH (in Europe) crediting to SK EB the booking classes Z and D give best value for the money especially if you only transit in Germany.
That is true, but I'd focus on D, because flights operated by OS or LX in Business P and Z get the same amount of miles. (pretty much nothing), while in LH they get in between the amount that D and the amount that P gets. But since I'm based in ZRH, many of my flights will be on LX, so I try and get into D all the time.
I just recently went to the Swiss TA in Zurich and had my flights upped to D and routed over FRA for an additional 100 bucks that ended up giving me 8000 miles to EDI.
Old Jul 21, 18, 8:18 am

That is true, but I'd focus on D, because flights operated by OS or LX in Business P and Z get the same amount of miles. (pretty much nothing), while in LH they get in between the amount that D and the amount that P gets. But since I'm based in ZRH, many of my flights will be on LX, so I try and get into D all the time.
According to the SK EB earnings table for LX and OS you get points depending on the distance. So for a flight VIE - MUC you should get on OS 440 points with booking class D while on LH it is 2000. For e.g. ZRH - FRA it should be 1200 points (i.e. minimum earning) on LX but 2000 on LH. On flights longer than 1000 miles the distance based system is better, Also note that Z gives 150% on OS.
Old Jul 21, 18, 8:41 am
Original Poster

According to the SK EB earnings table for LX and OS you get points depending on the distance. So for a flight VIE - MUC you should get on OS 440 points with booking class D while on LH it is 2000. For e.g. ZRH - FRA it should be 1200 points (i.e. minimum earning) on LX but 2000 on LH. On flights longer than 1000 miles the distance based system is better, Also note that Z gives 150% on OS.
This is true, but on C, D and J LX gives you 200% of the distance while on Z and P you only get 100% of the distance. Sadly I can't access the earning tables anymore since SAS updated their website and all the links are broken, but I totally agree with you. It's too bad LX only gives 200% on F and A too. (while LH gives 300%). Does anybody still have access to the earning tables of SAS?
Old Jul 21, 18, 8:58 am

Does anybody still have access to the earning tables of SAS?
The Swedish site works better than the international sites
https://www.sas.se/eurobonus/partner/flygbolag/swiss/
https://www.sas.se/eurobonus/partner...rian-airlines/
Old Jul 21, 18, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks! ThatĎs very helpful.
Old Jul 23, 18, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Not to forget: For domestic travel you are better of with LX or OS in CDJ, as LH only gives 1000 while LX and OS give a min of 1200 per leg.

Search this Thread