Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

{Fare Gone} Air France : IST - SJO $2,341 First Class$2,639 RT (mixed Business)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

{Fare Gone} Air France : IST - SJO $2,341 First Class$2,639 RT (mixed Business)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I got my ticket reinstated for travel in a few days, but I don't even think this fare is all that good despite the positioning costs so I'll probably cancel anyways.
Old May 11, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by happyland
I got my ticket reinstated for travel in a few days, but I don't even think this fare is all that good despite the positioning costs so I'll probably cancel anyways.
who did you book it with?
Old May 11, 2018, 8:52 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by happyland
Skeptic about this
Old May 11, 2018, 8:52 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
I called chase who told me to call AF for the refund... I found the refund form online, I just filled that in and I will see if they issue refund...
Old May 11, 2018, 9:04 am

Anyone considering cooperation with lawyer and going to court?
Old May 14, 2018, 3:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
All of the arguments for and against error fares have been discussed comprehensively in other error fare threads.

The arguments are that people will never be able to trust a fare again. Or how would anyone possibly know it's a mistake. And so on.

The answer is that it all depends. A fare of $1500 TATL might be fine in business class, even on a top tier carrier. A fare of $2600 on AF, that rarely, if ever, discounts that far, might give rise to some suspicion that the fare might be an error.

Airline process millions of tickets a day. What some people are proposing is that for the sake of a few error fares, no one should have their ticket issued for one, two or three days (allowing for time differences and weekends) while an airline checks the fare they are about to issue is error free. That would be unworkable.

AF has acted quickly here. In previous error threads people have complained the airline did't take action fast enough. They said 'if only the airline notified us in two days rather than two weeks it would have made things better'. Now AF acts in 2 days and people still complain.

The bottom line is very simple. If you have genuinely purchased a correct fare, it will be honoured. Either by the airline voluntarily, by contract law, or by consumer protection law. If you have purchased a fare which you suspect might be an error, your chances of being protected might be rather less. And that's fair enough. It's exactly how the law is supposed to work. It's there to protect and enforce rights, not to punish an airline.
If the airline offers a fare for sale, you buy it and have your ticket confirmed the airline should be forced to honor it. If they don't want to get burned on mistake fares like this, they should do their jobs better and not make mistakes like this.
roelb likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
How to draw the line what is a F "mistake"fare and what are promotion fares??? Where is the line??? 1999usd is "mistake" fare but 2000usd is not???What is for one person "mistake", is a promotion for other. Based on what some might presume that 2341usd for one way or 2640usd for round trip in F is an "mistake" fare? Especially when some big airlines offers long haul F even with lower prices from same region or continent.. The price AF published is a proper discounted fare, nothing else. They started to contact after 48hours but even worse is that they refused to fly people with next day tickets and cancel them and downgraded two classes automatically. For that they must be legally responsible, because their behaviour is illegal and against a proper business manner.
Old May 15, 2018, 4:52 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by Jaenks
How to draw the line what is a F "mistake"fare and what are promotion fares??? Where is the line??? 1999usd is "mistake" fare but 2000usd is not???What is for one person "mistake", is a promotion for other. Based on what some might presume that 2341usd for one way or 2640usd for round trip in F is an "mistake" fare? Especially when some big airlines offers long haul F even with lower prices from same region or continent.. The price AF published is a proper discounted fare, nothing else. They started to contact after 48hours but even worse is that they refused to fly people with next day tickets and cancel them and downgraded two classes automatically. For that they must be legally responsible, because their behaviour is illegal and against a proper business manner.
I can only agree on that matter. When I booked it, I legitimately thought it was a promotion, or a fare alignment towards competitors, like we see Air France doing from other POS in a regular or permanent basis in La Premičre. And Emirates, for example, sells TUN-DXB-HKG in F for €2400. I do not think they cancel tickets of customers travelling on these tickets.
It is not a "regular" mistake fare, like currency issues or forgetting a digit when you load fares. At least it was not obvious. And French law it is pretty clear on that : you can cancel a sale if there is a price mistake only if the customer was buying that product knowing it was an error, and I sincerely didn't. I have not given up yet and I am still discussing with customer service because for French customers protected by the French law, their case can easily be cracked. What plays in their favor is the fact that Justice is very slow and that no one would risk losing all their money from the ticket and spend lawyer money in pursuing that case in court.
The second thing that struck me is the way that was done. With no prior notice, all tickets have been reissued with a new booking class. Imagine you buy a nice pair of a high-brand leather shoes in a nice box at a discounted price, but pretty close to what you can get during Sales. You come back home the next day, and these have been replaced by a plastic bag with flip flaps, with a note saying that "sorry we made a mistake, so we broke into your house to give you what you paid for, but you can get a refund of the flip flaps to our shop upon request". This sounds just bad.
Old May 15, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by olivedel
I can only agree on that matter. When I booked it, I legitimately thought it was a promotion, or a fare alignment towards competitors, like we see Air France doing from other POS in a regular or permanent basis in La Premičre. And Emirates, for example, sells TUN-DXB-HKG in F for €2400.
Analogies generally don't work. To establish that it wasn't obvious, one would need to look at pricing on the same route.

Originally Posted by olivedel
And French law it is pretty clear on that : you can cancel a sale if there is a price mistake only if the customer was buying that product knowing it was an error, and I sincerely didn't. I have not given up yet and I am still discussing with customer service because for French customers protected by the French law, their case can easily be cracked.
Well, one way to find out is to go to court. Expect a very long and expensive process.
Old May 15, 2018, 5:27 am

I am currently in contact with my lawyer and discussing next step. I do not want to let airlines .... up with their customers. In my opinion, they should let travel passengers in First class if they bought a ticket for just one euro. They should be responsible for services they sell. In this case, it is obvious. The cheapest business class price between Europe and South America which I was able to find is 1700 EUR. I bought my first class ticket in the promo for nearly 2000 EUR. I think this is "standard" price and they should accept it once they confirmed my reservation.
In the Czech Republic courts are also slow but not much expensive. A few years ago people won their case against British Airways with cheap First class tickets to Mexico. They paid only half what we did. So if I will have a time, I will try to go to court. I am nearly hundred percent sure we will win because there was a precedent in the history.
Old May 15, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Well, one way to find out is to go to court. Expect a very long and expensive process.
Frankly, I am ready. And I already spent the money. But before court, I need a formal refusal from the airline, that I still don't have, because I guess that was escalated after my last reply to Air France.
Old May 15, 2018, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Cestamitulakapohvezdach
I am currently in contact with my lawyer and discussing next step. I do not want to let airlines .... up with their customers. In my opinion, they should let travel passengers in First class if they bought a ticket for just one euro. They should be responsible for services they sell. In this case, it is obvious. The cheapest business class price between Europe and South America which I was able to find is 1700 EUR. I bought my first class ticket in the promo for nearly 2000 EUR. I think this is "standard" price and they should accept it once they confirmed my reservation.
In the Czech Republic courts are also slow but not much expensive. A few years ago people won their case against British Airways with cheap First class tickets to Mexico. They paid only half what we did. So if I will have a time, I will try to go to court. I am nearly hundred percent sure we will win because there was a precedent in the history.

If you can find a court in Czechia that will hear a case regarding a ticket sold in Turkey (presumably) for travel from Turkey to either South America or South Africa on a French airline, then good for you.

However, if it is not so expensive to bring a case in Czechia, you can probably expect Air France to fight it.

(Just out of curiosity, regarding the BA fare you mention - which I presume was this one: [PREM FARE GONE] (First): BA, AA : PRG - CUN or MEX $799 - are you sure there was an actual court decision, or did BA (as I suspect) merely settle out of court?)
Old May 15, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
The cheapest business class price between Europe and South America which I was able to find is 1700 EUR. I bought my first class ticket in the promo for nearly 2000 EUR. I think this is "standard" price and they should accept it once they confirmed my reservation.
Which IMO weakens your case. Full fare F is generally significantly more expensive than promo J. IIRC this was a fully flexible F fare.

I am nearly hundred percent sure we will win because there was a precedent in the history.
I'm not sure why you speak in the plural. A decision by a French court forcing AF to honour the ticket of a customer suing in France will not be binding to Czech courts (and vice versa).
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Which IMO weakens your case. Full fare F is generally significantly more expensive than promo J. IIRC this was a fully flexible F fare.
It was full fare alright, but the fare basis was MFFTR (M - full-flex economy)!
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
How could a person knows what MFFTR means when the first sentence in fare rules is First class full fare unrestricted with no word about economy class there? You can write any letters but sentences are what counts. Things should not be like someone in AF decided that their published price is too low, let's change the class. Great,what do we have? We can downgrade it to economy since we can make it fully flexible economy fare. Even for business class this price is too high for promotion. AF decided to go as low as they can, not only with downgrade but generally. If their only explanation is that:"Sorry, we published wrong rules". Then it should not be sufficient to downgrade after ticket was issued with decent amount of money received.

Last edited by Jaenks; May 15, 2018 at 11:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.