Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

{Fare Gone} Air France : IST - SJO $2,341 First Class$2,639 RT (mixed Business)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

{Fare Gone} Air France : IST - SJO $2,341 First Class$2,639 RT (mixed Business)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat
I will send an email to af in 14 days and as them to confirm my f ticket or otherwise will by an f ticket with my usual BA and send them a bill about the difference It's pretty easy.. And a cheap trial worth it.
bolding is mine.
And they will not reimburse you. That’s pretty easy too
irishguy28 likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: Delta GM; FB Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC; National EE
The say-so of a minimum-wage call-centre agent who is merely reading from your ticket confirmation is no more valid than the originally-provided ticket confirmation.
I don't agree. In the case that I previously mentioned, the actual judement referred to the buyers obligation to investigate when in doubt about the correctness of the price. The only thing a consumer can do to investigate in the case of an airline ticket is to call the airline and inquire wether your ticket is indeed valid and you are flying in the correct class of service. It's up to the airline to provide a correct answer. You should be able to trust that answer. I don't think that a judje will be impressed by a claim from the airline that it was "just" a low wage callcenter employee. That person _is_, for all intents and purposes, the airlines representative at that point. You cannot expect the consumer, who is doing it's part, to weigh the value of that answer based on the position of the person he is speaking to.
Nado and meowycrystal like this.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
You may indeed find such a judge...but that at least concedes that you accept that the airline does not consider itself "outfoxed" by any such ticket-holder having a minimum-wage call-centre employee merely read back to the ticket-holder what has already been put into writing, and is likely to "change its mind" at a later stage.

(This idea that, in such cases, the spoken word is of more value than the written word is frankly preposterous!!! A bit like the German website where selecting a seat and selecting a low-sodium meal is [jokingly] seen as being the way to "protect" such an error-fare booking )

However, the airline would then no doubt find another judge who will agree that, if the contract itself was faulty, the mere utterance of the terms of such contract by a low-grade employee can be interpreted as nothing more than a statement of the contents of that contract, and not as a binding acceptance on behalf of the airline to honour the terms of that contract. The dispute is not over whether such a contract was issued, nor of the terms of such a contract, but whether such a contract can be enforced.

The decision on whether any individual ticket will be cancelled or not will be taken at a much higher level than that of customer-facing employees.
flyme2 likes this.

Last edited by irishguy28; May 9, 2018 at 10:19 am
Old May 9, 2018, 10:58 am

You may be right, under US and/or UK juridiction But contract law and especially consumer rights on this side of the pond are very different.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:28 am

Every time after an EF its the same discussion here on the forum 😂

Last edited by criced; May 9, 2018 at 11:55 am
Old May 9, 2018, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by roelb
You may be right, under US and/or UK juridiction But contract law and especially consumer rights on this side of the pond are very different.
good luck with your case, then. Though Turkish law is probably the one you need to brush up on!!!
hopeful_me likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:47 am

I don't have a ticket. It's up to the people that bought one to gi to court if they so wish. And the jurisdiction depends on where they are located and through what channel they bought the ticket, not the country of departure.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow. So a court in any country can make a ruling and compel Air France to do something with a ticket that doesn't concern that country in any way (other than the passenger having some link to that country)

I was going to say that the law has gotten very lax all of a sudden, but I guess it must be exactly the opposite! It's good to know that Air France (either in France, or Turkey, or South Africa/Costa Rica/Argentina/etc etc) can now be compelled into a certain action based on a court located in any other territory...

A ruling that is unenforcable isn't worth the paper it's written on (or the tape recording on which the court employee read it to you over the phone )
hopeful_me likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by criced
Every time after an EF its the same discussion here on the forum 😂
I personally think that FT should not use the term EF. We search online for the "best offer", and if we spot one we go for it. If an offer is indeed an EF, it is the airlines responsibility to label it as such and deal with the consequences.
honzeek_cz and meowycrystal like this.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by criced
Every time after an EF its the same discussion here on the forum
Indeed.

It all starts with: overblown excitement, praise of various nature to the airline in question with a number of claims that they are looking for a swift cash injection, posters stating that if it doesn't get honoured then it's just a game at the end of the day etc.

It all ends with: EU261 as a first (even if it does not apply) followed by anger towards the airline/the way they have handled it, let's all go to court, I'll never fly them again (as if they could give a toss), class action, Prague Spring II, I'm out-of-pocket now because it's taking them ages to issue a refund, I'll book a BA ticket and send the bill to Air France.

All, needless to say, not necessarily in that particular order.

G
Old May 9, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Milage Plus
Originally Posted by irishguy28
If only it were that simple.

The say-so of a minimum-wage call-centre agent who is merely reading from your ticket confirmation is no more valid than the originally-provided ticket confirmation.

I am not sure why you were lucky last time around, but having a recording of an agent which merely agrees with the later-disputed ticket in no way counts as ammo in such cases.

Otherwise, the motto would be "IMMEDIATELY call the airline", rather than "DON'T call the airline" 😅

It was not a random agent, it was an Air France agent (from the Platinum line more over) that was working in his own system, with his own tickets so he must knows how to read a ticket. (Well I hope!)

The fact that he confimed I was on La Premičre means that now they cannot say : it was an online mistake, we wasn’t aware of. They were aware of the price I paid, and the cabin class I was on, and they confirm it. They tried to downgrade me after, I filed a call listening form, and suddenly, 48-72 hours after, my tickets were re-instated.

As an opposite, my second SFO-LHR booking that I made without calling AF was CXXed and I try to get it re-instated, they didn’t want to do anything else that giving a 1000USD voucher.

So see, even if a “minimum-wage-call-centre agent” confirm your ticket class, they (well AF at least) hounour it.

I think the OP will be able to fly his P ticket without battling too much, if it’s AF agent that confirmed his ETKT on the phone and not an agent from any other OTA, of course.
Old May 9, 2018, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yutuyu
So see, even if a “minimum-wage-call-centre agent” confirm your ticket class, they (well AF at least) hounour it.
Get the word out! The new advice is to CALL the airline. Immediately. And get them to "confirm" your ticket.
SFO777 and AlicorporateUK like this.
Old May 9, 2018, 3:01 pm

Get the word out! The new advice is to CALL the airline. Immediately. And get them to "confirm" your ticket.
Ha! Surely another sensible piece of advice would consist in asking them to record the call beforehand, preferably with your dog roaming the room and therefore acting as witness while you're on loud speaker demanding for your fare to be duly honoured

G
Goldorak likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Milage Plus
I am just trying to give tricks on how it worked for me. If you don’t want the tips, it’s fine but may be others will. Or may be you’re just sad your wasn’t hounoued...
Old May 9, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Ha! Surely another sensible piece of advice would consist in asking them to record the call beforehand, preferably with your dog roaming the room and therefore acting as witness while you're on loud speaker demanding for your fare to be duly honoured

G
Are you aware that all of the calls with CC are actually automitaically recorded (and also evaulated)?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.