How to maximize MDQs - Delta

Old May 5, 18, 10:37 am
Original Poster

How to maximize MDQs - Delta

I'm a FF that was affected by the mqd waiver this year.

I had the Platinum Delta card and would spend around 50-60k so the free MQMs were great, but I cut that card up after the announcement and went to the AMEX Platinum card, which I'm loving.

With that said, I now need to maximize my MQDs. Last year I spent around 13k with Delta. I've heard of some rumblings of getting a multiplier on some Delta partners but can't find much info on it.

Can some point me to some more info on how to maximize MQDs? (To get diamond...)

Thank you!
Old May 6, 18, 12:43 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
See partner charts on delta.com, the info is all pretty much there (you have to click on the boxes that say "Mileage earn on/after..", they are pop-up charts) -- https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-partners.html. It's not a "multiplier", it's the fact that MQD's are calculated as a percentage of distance flown rather than amount spent. So longer flights with the higher percentage factors can earn substantially more than flying on DL where it's purely based on spend. Some of the sweet spots include --

Generally speaking -- discount J on most partners (particularly tier 1)
Premium Economy on AF/AZ/VS/MU
Economy Delight on VS
cmx likes this.

Last edited by LBJ; May 6, 18 at 12:59 pm
Old May 16, 18, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the reply.

I'll do some research on "t's not a "multiplier", it's the fact that MQD's are calculated as a percentage of distance flown rather than amount spent."
Old Jun 8, 18, 10:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
For MQDs, you first need to figure it how many MQMs youd actually be flying this year. If its going to be 200K MQMs, you can average fewer than 12c/MQM to achieve DM.

If you know say youre going to be hitting 500-600K MQMs, chances are MQDs wont be a factor as youd most likely pick up the 15K somewhere on the way, and any MQDs above 15K are worthless.

I may also sometimes find myself on CZ, where a full Y (not that expensive intra-China) ticket will earn a 20c/MQM. Fly enough of those and Im rich on MQDs but poor on MQMs. Fly something like US-Asia on Air France in Premium Economy, Id earn also 20c/MQM and thus, Id be ahead of the pace Id need and could afford a lot of low spend high MQM trips.

Its all about ending up at your target c/MQM. It can vary person to person. If you have a pile of rollover, then likely your c/MQM can be very high, if youre going to fly 1,000,000 MQM, then youd need only a very low c/MQM.

Search this Thread