Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Balance transfer for miles possible?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2018, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Question Balance transfer for miles possible?

Hey everyone, first post so sorry if not in the right section.

I want to get more miles from my credit card, but don't have any major purchases planned that my wife won't kill me over (like a Husqvarna 701 Supermoto...). I do have a loan on our minivan that I can pay off at anytime since I have the funds. Would I be able to do a balance transfer from the loan to the card and pay it off? That'd give me at least 11,000 miles there, and give me enough MQD's for the year to get Platinum.

I fly from the US East Coast to Luanda for work every month, so I get some good miles on the ATL-JNB route, but it's at seaman fare level, so only base miles and very few MQDs.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:46 am

Check the terms of your card. Balance transfers often (usually?) don’t count for points, because if they did you could just shuffle debt around forever and earn unlimited points.
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 4:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk @v4r_Rider.

Please follow the redirect as we send this to our Credit Card forum.

Which credit card are you trying to do this with? DL it seems?

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Apr 21, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
It's extremely rare to see miles for BTs. Many years ago I recall getting an offer but it was a limited time special offer not a regular card feature, and I can't even recall what bank or FFP it was. I'd say such offers would be nonexistent nowadays...it wasn't even common back in the good old days.

LendingClub and Prosper (well known person loan lenders) have or had affiliate offers for 2x miles with AA and UA at times. Their loans typically have no prepayment penalty. You'd of course need to run the numbers to see if the origination fee and interest before you'd pay it off, would be worthwhile compared to other miles generating options. And if those mileage programs would work for you.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
I'd be careful doing a balance transfer to a Delta card, the fee is probably super expensive + interest will kill you. Not worth it.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
99.99% of the time balance transfers will NOT earn miles. You may occasionally see a special offer but don't hold your breath
Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:56 pm

The last place I saw where a balance transfer gave points was on a SW card. Note that you're still paying ~5% to do a balance transfer which will effectively kill the value of the miles earned.

It would be rare and surprising to see a card with free balance transfers that also earn points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.