Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[Fare Gone] SCL-SYD rt 180 USD ai United

[Fare Gone] SCL-SYD rt 180 USD ai United

Old Mar 26, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ft543
If booked through United is it eligible for 24hr hold/refund even if the ticket doesn't originate/end in the US?
All airlines who market tickets to consumers in the U.S. must honor the 24-hour reservation requirement regardless of the flights' origin and destination. So book first, ask questions later!
ft543 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 2:24 pm

Mistake fare

Second time I have seen United publish crazy low fares to the Down Under. I have missed it by a few minutes both times! Will just have to monitor this thread even more frequently!!
Old Mar 26, 2018, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by mikew99
All airlines who market tickets to consumers in the U.S. must honor the 24-hour reservation requirement regardless of the flights' origin and destination. So book first, ask questions later!
Furthermore, United's own policy is more lenient than the DOT requirement: United allows 24-hour refund for any flight booked directly on United.com or by phone.

Wish I had hopped on this fare!
Old Mar 26, 2018, 3:40 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Originally Posted by FLA77
Second time I have seen United publish crazy low fares to the Down Under. I have missed it by a few minutes both times! Will just have to monitor this thread even more frequently!!
I saw it on Scott's Cheap Flights for not only SYD, but MEL too. P

Proof it was bookable:

I canceled it however. Found out ORD-SCL-IAH-LAX-
Old Mar 26, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
I canceled it however. Found out ORD-SCL-IAH-LAX-
It looks like you might have clicked "Submit Reply" too soon! Or was that the end of your statement?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Would have been interesting to see the fare breakdown... fat finger somewhere...
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I saw the fare breakdown - the base fare was either $2 or $3, and the rest was taxes.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, WN, DL
Uh, no. Those rules were clarified about three years ago to exclude mistake fares.

https://thepointsguy.com/2016/01/dot...mistake-fares/
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by FLA77
what was the other one? last year i purchased a J fare nonstop from west coast US to SYD on UA for sub-$3K during Christmas - New Year's time frame. Not a mistake fare by any means, but certainly discounted more than a normal fare.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by eolesen
Uh, no. Those rules were clarified about three years ago to exclude mistake fares.

https://thepointsguy.com/2016/01/dot...mistake-fares/
I believe that @mikew99 was talking about the traveler's right to request a refund within 24 hours, not that the airline has the right to cancel tickets that were mistake fares. Or am I not understanding something about one of those 2 posts?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:33 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
I believe that @mikew99 was talking about the traveler's right to request a refund within 24 hours, not that the airline has the right to cancel tickets that were mistake fares. Or am I not understanding something about one of those 2 posts?
Correct. The relevant DOT notice (Guidance on the 24-hour reservation requirement) is here: https://www.transportation.gov/airco...ur-reservation
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: IB Plat - Hilton Gold - Marriott Gold - IHG Ambassador
These fares have been cancelled by the airline due to "error fare". Refunds will be provided.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by chejus
These fares have been cancelled by the airline due to "error fare". Refunds will be provided.
Thanks for the update. Good to know so you don't kick yourself too hard for having missed it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.