Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] QR J: £1366 MAN - AKL Round Trip - Wide Open...

[PREM FARE GONE] QR J: £1366 MAN - AKL Round Trip - Wide Open...

Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by haroon145
yes you can get ba silver with this which is sapphire I would credit this to ba but as you said you would need to take 4 BA flights
And it's probably best to take the 4 BA flights shortly before/after the QR trip to maximise the length of status you can get as BAEC memberships run from the month you had your first account activity.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Tit, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by haroon145
yes you can get ba silver with this which is sapphire I would credit this to ba but as you said you would need to take 4 BA flights
Originally Posted by WorldLux
And it's probably best to take the 4 BA flights shortly before/after the QR trip to maximise the length of status you can get as BAEC memberships run from the month you had your first account activity.
Yup, that's what I thought. Thanks for the input and confirmation.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Andrew_G
I just booked for September a few minutes ago directly on QR website without any problems. I don't have any oneworld status at all and I'm not familiar with the various programmes. Is it possible to get oneworld sapphire with this, or might the best option be to credit to BAEC and take an additional 4 BA (or equivalent) flights?
BAEC is probably the easier programme to use and to gain status with. There's also a niggle about QR's survival - at least in its current form
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Justin Case
Possible, but only if you travel with hang luggage. Otherwise they will check your bagage through towards MAN.
Option would be to plan a stopover in Doha for 1 night, get your luggage and go to the hotel and then mis your MAN connection ;-)

But would you really want to mis a nice 5* service on the excellent 787 in Business for 6 hours (and miles / Tier points etc)
If you don't board the DOH-MAN flight they will offload your bagage in DOH for safety reason, so it should not be a problem to stop the journey in DOH.
I already did this on a BKK-DOH-CDG flight. I voluntarily missed my DOH-CDG and they offloaded my luggage in DOH. Then I flew DOH-CAI on 1 ticket then CAI-DOH-BHX on another ticket (same day/next flight turnaround) and asked the transfer desk in DOH to recheck my luggage to BHX after arriving from CAI (I asked them to do it before flying to CAI but they asked me to wait until I flew my CAI-DOH segment). I got my bag in BHX then checked it again to my BHX-MAD-CDG IB journey back home. It was the old good time of globetrotter campaign...
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:54 pm

Angry

Originally Posted by Matt4

If you don't board the DOH-MAN flight they will offload your bagage in DOH for safety reason, so it should not be a problem to stop the journey in DOH.
And let everyone else wait, maybe mis connections because you intentionally mis a connection? Thats just #*@#€
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Blue
Booked this a couple of hours ago, for the start of september as that was the only availability I could still find. I've dreamed of flying business sometime in the next couple of years, but never thought I'd do it this year as the usual destinations were coming up quite expensive. Was also surprised my partner was up for it, but he's never flown business either (I don't think the brief time Ryanair had "business" fares really counts ) so thank you very much everyone who posted about it!
Scallywag72 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:05 pm

Great find, booked end Oct to finally have some down time in NZ as opposed to working there. Fab fare for ex UK and the DOH - AKL leg used to be the longest flight in the World, think someone else started a longer one since but still pleasing to the inner aviation nerd. Reserved my seats, now to prime NZ buddies
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott, National, Sixt
Looks like it's gone. I only see $4000+ fares to AKL from MAN now.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:42 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by buck3y3nut
Looks like it's gone. I only see $4000+ fares to AKL from MAN now.
That's to be expected it was a 48hr sale.
Leaping_Deere likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Two trips booked to AKL, both are work so employer will be happy to see this change in price from normal Ex UK prices !

My employer has a new travel policy which now effectively encourages Ex EU's, so I am taking my first Ex EU in June, I did think I would
be doing Ex EU for AKL soon but because of this deal not till 2019 at the earliest now.

You read that QR had made a loss and now celebrates by offering discount prices Maybe they need some cash flow!
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:43 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere
Two trips booked to AKL, both are work so employer will be happy to see this change in price from normal Ex UK prices !

My employer has a new travel policy which now effectively encourages Ex EU's, so I am taking my first Ex EU in June, I did think I would
be doing Ex EU for AKL soon but because of this deal not till 2019 at the earliest now.

You read that QR had made a loss and now celebrates by offering discount prices Maybe they need some cash flow!
My understanding is that QR has made a profit in previous years but the flight restrictions imposed on it by Saudi Arabia are cutting off it's most profitable routes. QR did state that if these restrictions continue then they made indeed additional funding.
Leaping_Deere likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere
...You read that QR had made a loss and now celebrates by offering discount prices Maybe they need some cash flow!
I think the kindest way to put it is they sort of made an operating profit in previous years.

They'd started trying to increase fares while cutting back on their more lavish excesses, when they were hit by the "blockade" by all GCC states (except Oman & Kuwait) and Egypt. That cut off the healthy stream of revenue from connecting those states with the rest of the world through Doha, and from the gold dust of intra-Gulf services. Adding to the insult is the need to avoid the airspace of its neighbours, increasing flight time and the costs that entails, and the conundrum of what to do with aircraft made surplus to (rational) requirements.

With no end in sight to the blockade the airline is in a spiral of sales to generate demand (good news for us), and the opening of curious routes to soak up surplus airframes (good news for Cardiff!).

More good news is that the airline simply can't be allowed to fail: it is now absolutely essential to the socio-economic-political well-being of Qatar. But there has to be a question about how long it will be able, or allowed, to continue in its current form.

I'm sure my NZ-springtime visit using this great fare is safe enough. Better than the last time i tried to get there with QR, when they cancelled the flight .
Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
I actually quite like the QR 777 2-2-2 seating. Lots of space and easy to get out if your neighbour has reclined. I actually prefer the seat on the 777 for a long flight over the A380/B787 seat.
ajm1972 and Free As A Bird like this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrow
I actually quite like the QR 777 2-2-2 seating. Lots of space and easy to get out if your neighbour has reclined. I actually prefer the seat on the 777 for a long flight over the A380/B787 seat.

Absolutely. But I think others prefer the notion of "privacy", or better "isolation".

No idea why - the 2-2-2 configuration brings far greater comfort in terms of space, but I suppose it imposes an element of social conviviality, a requirement for very limited social intercourse, which some might find it difficult to deal with.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by mrow
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Absolutely. But I think others prefer the notion of "privacy", or better "isolation".

No idea why - the 2-2-2 configuration brings far greater comfort in terms of space, but I suppose it imposes an element of social conviviality, a requirement for very limited social intercourse, which some might find it difficult to deal with.
I agree, I think another reason others can be dismissive of the 777 seat is because it's old. There is usually an assumption that if an airline brings out a new seat, it's better than its predecessor, which isn't always true.

The market seems to dictate a privacy first product, however I prefer to take more room around me than privacy. What are you doing that requires you to have that much privacy anyway

I always pick a middle seat on the 777, sometimes I've spoken a few words to the person sat on my right and sometimes not, but I never felt the need to.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.