Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[Premium Fare Gone]: Cathay J: ORD - MLE/CMB RT ~$2,600

[Premium Fare Gone]: Cathay J: ORD - MLE/CMB RT ~$2,600

Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MrJBoy
Ok, OK... Yes, our flight is a domestic/international connection at ORD. So it sounds there is no way to get a BP until we visit CX checking counter at Terminal 5 on the day of departure, and we need to go through security again. Is that right?
I thought there was a shuttle bus running in airside between the two terminals to make the connection easier. I hoped that was still going on, but if we need a BP to use the shuttle and there is no way to get the BP in advance, we still have to visit the CX check in counter at terminal 5...
There is a shuttle, though I've never used it myself as I've never departed T5 (only arrived). See below. Obviously, this will only work if your baggage is through-checked to your CX flight. If no checked baggage, you'll almost certainly need a BP to get airside at T5. You should be able to generate a mobile BP for yourself.

The International Terminal 5 is not connected to the domestic terminals and is accessible via the Airport Transit System (ATS)​. If you arrive on a domestic flight and must connect to an international flight, you have two options: 1.) you can take the ATS and pass through the security checkpoint in Terminal 5 or 2.) you can take a Terminal Transfer Bus (TTB) from Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 and bypass the security checkpoint in Terminal 5. The Terminal Transfer Bus service is year round with operation hours as follows: 10:00 am - 8:30 pm. If you are arrivng into the domestic terminals and need to collect your luggage (exit the security side of the airport) and recheck in T5, you will not be able to use this service.

Terminal Transfer Bus (TTB) Terminal 3 Pickup Locations
  • Gate G17
  • Gate K20
  • Gate L24
MrJBoy likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by swingaling
There is a shuttle, though I've never used it myself as I've never departed T5 (only arrived). See below. Obviously, this will only work if your baggage is through-checked to your CX flight. If no checked baggage, you'll almost certainly need a BP to get airside at T5. You should be able to generate a mobile BP for yourself.
Thats good to know. Thank you for the information.
We always travel light and wont check in any luggages, so as long as we can get a mobile BP we should be able to use the TTB. ^
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: AA EXP
Thats good to know. Thank you for the information.
We always travel light and wont check in any luggages, so as long as we can get a mobile BP we should be able to use the TTB. ^
As long as you provide your passport info on the CX website prior to check-in, I'd expect you'll be ok to get a BP.

That said, even if you have to use the train to T5, I wouldn't be too worried. Even though you're on separate tickets, AA will protect your CX flight in the event of IROPS.
MrJBoy likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE

Ok, OK... Yes, our flight is a domestic/international connection at ORD. So it sounds there is no way to get a BP until we visit CX checking counter at Terminal 5 on the day of departure, and we need to go through security again. Is that right?
I thought there was a shuttle bus running in airside between the two terminals to make the connection easier. I hoped that was still going on, but if we need a BP to use the shuttle and there is no way to get the BP in advance, we still have to visit the CX check in counter at terminal 5...
You need a boarding pass for a T5 departure and a passport. There is a thread in the Midwest forum on the airside shuttle.
MrJBoy likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: Hertz and Best Western, a free agent in all other respects
Just a note on the bus shuttle, they take a 1/2 hour lunch break and don't run, it's at some odd hour like 2:30-3:00 pm. Ask someone when you get there. I fiddled around in the T3 lounge until is was too late and had to go through security in T5. I would have been much happier to have missed it.

Even on a domestic connection you are already air side and can take the shuttle.
chitink likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
We will be flying into ORD by AA (terminal 3) then go to terminal 5 to catch CX 807 ORD-HKG flight. We have 3 hours connection time at ORD.
I heard there was a shuttle bus between the two terminals so that we don't need to go through the security again at ORD.

Do we need a boarding pass to get on the shuttle bus or we can just show our itinerary? If we can get our BP online (OLCI), that would be great, but I don't know if we have the option...
Anyway what is the best way to go to terminal 5 from terminal 3 in our case?
As posted elsewhere, theres definately some conflicting info on just how long the lunch break runs for the t-3 to t-5 shuttle. 30 mins minimum. Also surprised to see the comment to take train. I think it is oos until fall 2018. There is a bus shuttle on departures level.

I would be surprised if AA couldnt get you a bp, if nothing else, at t-3.
chitink likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Snuggs

As posted elsewhere, theres definately some conflicting info on just how long the lunch break runs for the t-3 to t-5 shuttle. 30 mins minimum. Also surprised to see the comment to take train. I think it is oos until fall 2018. There is a bus shuttle on departures level.

The AA ticket to ORD is different from the CX ticket. Actually its an AA award ticket... I dont think AA can print CX BP for us...
Old Jul 6, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Snuggs

It is down weekdays. The ATS runs on Saturday and Sunday. A lot on single tracks so there are delays as you have to wait for one train to pass before your train can continue.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Starwood Platinum
The AA ticket to ORD is different from the CX ticket. Actually its an AA award ticket... I dont think AA can print CX BP for us...
I flew on cx out of ord a few month ago (came in on a separate aa flight on a separate ticket) - and took the shuttle bus (I had only carry on luggage). I was able to check in on Cathays website 48 hours prior and then I was able to get a boarding pass at 24 hours (it told me I couldnt get it at 48 hours when I initially checked in).

My suggestion would be to go to the flagship lounge in t3 as long as you can (appears you are exp) - as the British airways first lounge in T5 is tiny and packed. The folks in the aa lounge know the schedule of the bus - and it was down for about an hour around 1 (I had to go over earlier than I wanted).
MrJBoy likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hertz Gold 5*
Is this fare dead? I'm unable to find it...
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by cubuffaloes2004
I flew on cx out of ord a few month ago (came in on a separate aa flight on a separate ticket) - and took the shuttle bus (I had only carry on luggage). I was able to check in on Cathays website 48 hours prior and then I was able to get a boarding pass at 24 hours (it told me I couldnt get it at 48 hours when I initially checked in).

My suggestion would be to go to the flagship lounge in t3 as long as you can (appears you are exp) - as the British airways first lounge in T5 is tiny and packed. The folks in the aa lounge know the schedule of the bus - and it was down for about an hour around 1 (I had to go over earlier than I wanted).
Thank you for the info.
We will arrive at ORD at 12:28PM and the next CX flight will depart at 3:30PM. If the shuttle is down around 1PM for one hour, do you think we have time to stay at the Flagship lounge in T3???
How long does it take by the shuttle from T3 to T5 by the way?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:22 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL SM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Gold, MR Gold
This fare has not been available for several weeks, so I've asked the thread be moved to the Discussion forum.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: UA Gold
Separate ticket to ORD

Has anyone figured out how to get a BP without having to present the credit card used to book the flight at the CX check-in counter at T5? I'm traveling to ORD on a separate ticket. The CX mobile app says that a Mobile BP is not available for this flight. I'm at T-30 now, so maybe that might change at T-24, but not really expecting it. I'd like to use the AA Lounge in T3 for the layover. My only thought is to go to an AA customer service station in T3 and ask them to print the CX BP.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hertz Gold 5*
Originally Posted by FTstudent
Has anyone figured out how to get a BP without having to present the credit card used to book the flight at the CX check-in counter at T5? I'm traveling to ORD on a separate ticket. The CX mobile app says that a Mobile BP is not available for this flight. I'm at T-30 now, so maybe that might change at T-24, but not really expecting it. I'd like to use the AA Lounge in T3 for the layover. My only thought is to go to an AA customer service station in T3 and ask them to print the CX BP.
One has to show the credit card to a Cathay rep at some point. I recommend figuring out how to do that somewhere along the way. I've done it at the Cathay lounge (at YVR). Your only option at ORD is the gate agent if memory serves me...
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by PDXAA
One has to show the credit card to a Cathay rep at some point. I recommend figuring out how to do that somewhere along the way. I've done it at the Cathay lounge (at YVR). Your only option at ORD is the gate agent if memory serves me...
Figured I'd update this, since I've returned from my trip. My routing was TPA-ORD on AA & ORD-MLE on CX, as separate tickets.
Short version: I used the Itin on the CX Mobile App to get access to the AA Flagship Lounge and to use the T3 - T5 shuttle. Once in T5 the gate agent printed our BPs, and we used the BA Lounge for the remainder of the wait.
Details: I took one of the first flights of the day to ORD to be on the safe side, leaving a long layover. Wanting to use the lounge, I went to the AA Customer Service Desk and asked them if they could print my CX BP. They said they usually can do it if the ticket has a segment on AA, so no luck. All 3 agents at the counter were discussing it, and there wasn't another PAX in line, so I took it as the best answer. But, AA agent said to show the lounge my Itinerary for access. (I was skeptical, but had nothing to lose.) Went to the Flagship Lounge showed them my CX Itin on my mobile app, and they gave us access. Seemed to take a bit of time, he kept going back and forth with the computer and my app. The AA FL is really nice. So glad we had the visit. We left the lounge around 1pm and headed to the T3-T5 shuttle. There was a big group headed down the stairs to board the shuttle, so I thought I would jump on their heels in order avoid the BP check. That didn't work. The staff stopped us. They accepted Passport and CX Itin on the mobile app as sufficient documentation without hesitation. Once we got to T5 and down to our gate, magically a CX gate agent appeared from no where. We handed over passports and she printed BPs. Never asked for Credit Card. Next we backtracked to the BA lounge and the CX agent admitted us. And then finally on to boarding.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.