Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[Premium Fare Gone]: Cathay J: ORD - MLE/CMB RT ~$2,600

[Premium Fare Gone]: Cathay J: ORD - MLE/CMB RT ~$2,600

Old Apr 1, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
deal appears dead....shoot!
Old Apr 1, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
appears dead on CX and other sites..did not try calling.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by boss315
deal appears dead....shoot!
No, it's still very much alive. Though it is subject to capacity controls, so the best way to see availability is checking on the CX website directly.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: EY plat, TK plat, UA 1K, AF plat, AS MVP75K
i can still price it on priceline
Old Apr 1, 2018, 9:36 am

It appears to be available closer in, but nothing farther out in the schedule. Example https://goo.gl/flights/SLfyP
Old Apr 1, 2018, 9:54 am

It's still alive, though inventory appears to be a bit low now. If you can't find it on CX website, choose different dates.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 10:06 am

Just an FYI:
For those who are trying to use the MasterCard promo to add on to this fare:
The MC promo is "up to" 25% discount. It is run by a third party travel company (not MC)...
I priced out an itinerary Chicago-India-Chicago roundtrip using CX.....I got a 5% discount from the "base fare"....worked out to about 100$ discount in total
(did not buy ticket...just wanted to see what they offer).

I also asked the agent to price out the same ORD-India-ORD itinerary with a one-day stopover at HKG.
In this case, they (the travel agency) priced it as "USA-HKG-USA" plus "HKG-India-HKG" !! This way, the price obviously went way up (thousands of dollars higher).

So, in my case, the MC program only worked for a round trip fare.
Also, the MC discount was only 5%.

The agent on the phone was not exactly very competent though....she was struggling to find the one single CX non-stop from ORD to HKG!!! Then, she had to disconnect the phone and get back couple hours later as the flight "did not show in their "GLOBAL" System".

I highly doubt I would buy from the MC travel agency...unless I actually get the 25% discount. Not confident I will get reasonable after-sales service.

Another annoying thing was that she would not answer any of my questions without getting me to be a "member" (which means, name, phone, address, etc).
Barkinpark likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
Originally Posted by swingaling
No, he's fine. Where you book makes no difference. The marketing carrier is the only relevant issue. His longer segments are CX marketed, so he'll earn EQDs based on distance. Excluding ORD-LAX on AA, of course.
I will bet you $1 that that he will receive fare based EQD. It's happened to me twice that I've been awarded fare based EQD on partner carrier marketed flights when AA knows the fare that I paid. Hopefully for him I'm wrong and it just seems that this whole fare/distance-based EQD is a real crapshoot unless you are sure the ticket is issued by a separate carrier. When I buy BA or QF tickets with AA segments the purchase price shows up in my AA itineraries.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:50 am

Does this qualify for a discount under Amex's IAP? And if so, how much?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:13 am

I booked with IAP and got the same fare as online. Given how long it took, definitely not worth the bother.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:01 am

I just got off the phone with the AA EXP desk and they called Advantage CS. I was told that for sure my flight would earn the .25 EDQ based on miles flown. I asked for something in writing but was unable to get it however the agent gave me her name and location and said she would make a note of our conversation. I know this is skimpy but better then nothing.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:46 am

Amazing Fare!!! Dam... nice FIND
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by fish3d
I just got off the phone with the AA EXP desk and they called Advantage CS. I was told that for sure my flight would earn the .25 EDQ based on miles flown. I asked for something in writing but was unable to get it however the agent gave me her name and location and said she would make a note of our conversation. I know this is skimpy but better then nothing.
I looked at the itinerary you posted and you'll be absolutely fine. The CX flights are all CX-marketed (i.e. CX flight numbers), so you'll earn based on the CX earnings chart (most importantly, distance-based EQDs). The fact that you bought it from AA and that AA knows what you paid is not relevant (with respect to partner earnings). For your AA-marketed ORD-LAX flight, you'll probably earn fare-based EQDs, but that's fairly inconsequential. Ballpark of your earnings for this:

CX Flights (LAX-HKG-MLE-HKG-ORD):
31,500 EQM + 5,200 EQD + 51,450 RDM (includes EXP bonus)
AA Flight (ORD-LAX):
3,400 EQM + unknown EQD + unknown RDM

Note: If I had to guess, I'd say you'll earn something like 100-400 EQD for that single AA flight.

Originally Posted by rollthere
I will bet you $1 that that he will receive fare based EQD. It's happened to me twice that I've been awarded fare based EQD on partner carrier marketed flights when AA knows the fare that I paid. Hopefully for him I'm wrong and it just seems that this whole fare/distance-based EQD is a real crapshoot unless you are sure the ticket is issued by a separate carrier. When I buy BA or QF tickets with AA segments the purchase price shows up in my AA itineraries.
Are you referring to the AA segments or the non-AA segments? The AA-marketed flights will probably credit EQD on a fare basis. But any partner-marketed flights will credit EQDs on a distance basis. There's no provision in the award charts for fare-based EQD earnings on partner-marketed flights. If flying an AA-marketed flight on partner metal, then earnings would absolutely accrue per the AA chart. If they don't, it would presumably be down to an IT glitch.

I've flown on AA tickets (purchased from aa.com) where I had a single segment on a partner marketed flight (e.g. JL) with the rest on AA marketed flights. I earned per the partner table for the partner marketed segment and the AA table for the AA marketed flights.

That said, the AA segment on this itinerary is only ORD-LAX. The bulk of the earnings will come from the CX flights, so it's not a big loss.

Last edited by swingaling; Apr 2, 2018 at 1:16 pm
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by swingaling
Are you referring to the AA segments or the non-AA segments? The AA-marketed flights will probably credit EQD on a fare basis (not distance). But any partner-marketed flights will credit EQDs on a distance basis.

That said, the AA segment on this itinerary is only ORD-LAX. The bulk of the earnings will come from the CX flights, so it's not a big loss.
I should have been clearer in my last post. The AA agent said that only the portion of my flight flown on Cathay would earn EQD based on distance
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by fish3d
I should have been clearer in my last post. The AA agent said that only the portion of my flight flown on Cathay would earn EQD based on distance
Yes, that's accurate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.