FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   [Premium Fare Gone]:Avianca/: Business - Various USA-various South America $1200-1699 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/1897658-premium-fare-gone-avianca-business-various-usa-various-south-america-1200-1699-a.html)

TomA Mar 8, 2018 1:54 am

[Premium Fare Gone]:Avianca/: Business - Various USA-various South America $1200-1699

Great business fares to Lima (gateway to Machu Picchu) with a stopover in Quito (gateway to Galapagos) possible. Wide open availability.

Other stopovers between JFK and LIM are also possible. 100% miles credit to UA.

Hula Mar 8, 2018 2:17 am

Dates

Can you provide sample travel dates for that airfare? I can’t seem to find that deal.

TomA Mar 8, 2018 2:34 am

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...a76510c4e6.png

TomA Mar 8, 2018 2:50 am

You can also do JFK-UIO-BOG-JFK for $776

Or UIO alone for $723

You can also toss MDE into the mix and get similar results.

groovyfly Mar 8, 2018 3:06 am

On all the flights I've tried to book, the price jumps to about double when I click through. Appearantly, all the prices indicated by GF are not available (anymore?).

Anybody else had any success?

EDIT: Lima doesn't seem to be there, but Quito does, at least I manage to book through ITA.

blind1985 Mar 8, 2018 3:07 am

This was a previous thread on this fare. Some tips in there. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prem...-660ish-2.html

TomA Mar 8, 2018 3:15 am

Originally Posted by groovyfly (Post 29499242)
On all the flights I've tried to book, the price jumps to about double when I click through. Appearantly, all the prices indicated by GF are not available (anymore?).

Anybody else had any success?

I booked the redeye out of JFK because I'll spend 3 days there first and sleep on the flight. I found a lot of availability on the 01:10 departures and 22:00 arrival returns.

mjmqm Mar 8, 2018 11:44 am

Just flew this. Booked in Nov using info from the thread previous listed in post #6 . Avianca was great. Credited everything to aeroplan with no issues at 125%. Flights were good but late leaving JFK. We ended up on WAMOS out of JFK.

pdxparse Mar 8, 2018 2:02 pm

I keep looking at this - such a great fare and I'd love to visit either LIM or UIO or both. Anything similar from the West Coast? Positioning to JFK from PDX isn't the best option for this and I know there's been some deals out of LAX/YVR - but haven't found anything this good!

RabbitohRob Mar 9, 2018 5:51 am

Beware folks!!! Beware beware

BEWARE FOLKS!!! BEWARE BEWARE

The flight fom JFK-BOG will be on a chartered plane called Wamos. I just flew it after booking this fare a few months ago. Wamos is a Spanish-based charter operator and Avianca have rented a few of their aircraft and of course, they stuck it on the JFK-BOG route.

This is why the fare is so low.

And remember, Wamos have their money. They are paid per route. So there is no incentive for them to offer anything remotely resembling Business Class. And who knows what their safety record is?

This Business Class is without a doubt the most disgusting I have been on. Ever. Period. Last year I flew 700,000k, with 95% in Premium. The Wamos aircraft was a very dirty old A330-200, 18 years old according to Flightradar24, it was a 2-2-2 configuration with really old, very uncomfortable, worn out seats.

The Wamos cabin was filthy. I found used tissues from the previous flight in my seat pocket. There is no IFE in Business, however they will offer an iPad, version 1, so its super heavy and cumbersome. And you will have a choice of 4 old movies from around 2012-2013 era. And I literally mean ONLY 4 movies. The blanket was so thin and used and the pillows were that awful polyester cover. God knows if it was even changed or cleaned in between flights. I doubt it.

The Wamos flight attendants come across as really filthy that they are probably forced to be based in BOG while Avianca charter this aircraft. They were openly hostile if they were called. They had run out of water when I asked about 3 hours into the flight.

The catering was sent out en-masse on plastic trays in the first 40 minutes and was dried out. Then we hardly saw them for the remainder of the flight.

It was no better than economy class in most airlines. And to top it all off, the Wamos flight was 2 hours late causing me to miss the Avianca UIO-LIM connection in BOG. The only good thing that came from Wamos being late, was on arrival in BOG, and because It was late, Avianca gave me a flight direct to LIM, instead of going through UIO. The payoff of course, luggage lost, but I received it 2 days later.

I am due to fly back to JFK tomorrow morning and it is the same Wamos aircraft. It is SO BAD, SO OLD, and such a RIP-OFF even calling this Business Class, I am calling Avianca from here in LIM to get rerouted on Avianca aircraft. I will not fly on Wamos. I don't even know if they have a safety record!

It truly is a frightening experience.

I would only fly this Wamos flight at your own peril. Honestly, there is negligence here on Avianca's part for using this antiquated, possibly unsafe, Spanish-based aircraft and for selling this as Business Class. It is not.

But if you need the points and don't mind sitting in glorified economy class, knock yourself out.

UpgradeMe Mar 9, 2018 5:59 am

Originally Posted by RabbitohRob (Post 29503879)
And who knows what their safety record is? . . . this antiquated, possibly unsafe, Spanish-based aircraft

https://aviation-safety.net/database....php?var=11738

Captain Canuck Mar 9, 2018 6:45 am

It is interesting that Avianca's site now informs you that Av 20 and AV 21 are serviced by WAMOS (when you book JFK-BOG), however if you book JFK-EZE (with a connection through BOG on AV 21), the site makes no mention of it ??

I am flying to EZE in the Fall and when I did a dummy booking on AV 21 for my departure date the seat map still shows a 1-2-1 configuration (new A330 business class config), so let's hope that holds and we are not WAMOSed :)

CC

two_scoops Mar 9, 2018 8:08 am

Wow RabbitohRob that is very useful and very discouraging at the same time! I am booked to UIO in November and I did the same test as Captain Canuck. I recreated my JFK-BOG-UIO booking and AV21 still shows the newer Avianca A330 with 1-2-1 but if I do JFK-BOG on the same day a popup warns that the flight is operated by WAMOS and the service will be different. That is pure cheating and I feel bamboozled.

Very strange that they would put their shittiest aircraft on the JFK route which I'd imagine is one of their more important routes.

Not sure what my comeback is - any suggestions?

unusualtravelblog Mar 9, 2018 8:20 am

Thanks RabbitohRob for the warning.
I was wondering if flights are in fact Avianca aircrafts? I see flights as Avianca 21 (lie flat seats according to GF) from JFK to BOG but I've also seen some for sale with flight no Avianca 245 (angled flat seats according to GF).
Is it always Wamos or sometimes a hit-and-miss?

steveholt Mar 9, 2018 9:10 am

Originally Posted by RabbitohRob (Post 29503879)
The Wamos flight attendants come across as really filthy that they are probably forced to be based in BOG while Avianca charter this aircraft. They were openly hostile if they were called. They had run out of water when I asked about 3 hours into the flight.

I'm sorry, the *flight attendants* are filthy?