Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[Premium Fare Gone]:Avianca/: Business - Various USA-various South America $1200-1699

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Premium Fare Gone]:Avianca/: Business - Various USA-various South America $1200-1699

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:52 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
2 questions? For those who have flown, what lounge is provided? I dont think that Swiss or Air India lounge is open for the 7:30 am flight? And how is the AV diamond lounge in BOG. 2. Anyone know how long Wamos is supposed to operate flights to JFK for? Hoping mid-october gives AV enough time to fly themselves
Old Mar 15, 2018, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FYI -- US DOT regulations require the disclosure of the operating airline during the ticketing process. Anyone whose flight is changed from Avianca to Wamos should be able to get a refund if so desired (if Avianca refuses, consider filing a complaint with the DOT). Anybody who can show that the flight is being marketed without the required disclosure should also be able to get a refund.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Quinlanty
2 questions? For those who have flown, what lounge is provided? I dont think that Swiss or Air India lounge is open for the 7:30 am flight? And how is the AV diamond lounge in BOG. 2. Anyone know how long Wamos is supposed to operate flights to JFK for? Hoping mid-october gives AV enough time to fly themselves
Swiss was open before 6:00am. AV Diamond lounge was not bad. Pleasant wines, excellent espresso, daughter loved the booths. VIP desk was super helpful for a problem we had. Food was better than AC MLL but if your hungry go elsewhere. We used the Eldorado lounge for dinner on the way back. Tried the Latam lounge and the wine was better.
Quinlanty likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by mjmqm
Agree that any business should strive for a better service. Before taking this flight I read numerous reviews on Avianca and the less than stellar food and service in general. As I stated our food was fine and the service was great. Before departure my wife's champagne was re-filled promptly. My wife was sleeping through the meal service and the FA noted when she woke and was at her side offering a meal and cheese course.

At the price paid this was a great deal.
Did you apply any kind of a FF program to those flights? Did Wamos flights earn mileage as Avianca flights?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 8:47 pm
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
I booked a JFK-BOG-LIM; CUZ-BOG-JFK routing a couple of months back for early September in business class on AV21 and AV20 for the JFK flights. Cost was US$1,250 per seat. I have been worried about this potentially getting Wamos'ed after reading all the frequent flyer chatter, despite the fact that the news is reporting the strike to have been over last December. I tried a dummy booking JFK-BOG-JFK for my dates and did get the pop-up "...will be operated by WAMOS Air". It baffles me that a major international flag carrier like Avianca can substitute out for a cheap holiday charter carrier for close to a year and on one of their flagship routes too! I could understand if it were a short-term temporary thing or if they substituted for a comparable metal, but this is ridiculous! I'm hoping that they're just putting this pop-up as a cautionary measure and plan to have this sorted out by then. It's also unacceptable that the pop-up only comes up when booking direct JFK-BOG return flights. The pop-up does not come up when trying to book one-way or as others have noted connecting routes. Clearly their IT is deficient. Oh well, that all said, I'm not going to change, and I guess that's Avianca's point I guess. I've got a big holiday booked and when push comes to shove, the timings and connections work well for me.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by RabbitohRob
This Business Class is without a doubt the most disgusting I have been on. Ever. Period. Last year I flew 700,000k, with 95% in Premium. The Wamos aircraft was a very dirty old A330-200, 18 years old according to Flightradar24, it was a 2-2-2 configuration with really old, very uncomfortable, worn out seats.
I wonder if any of those 650K miles in premium were ever on AA/UA night-flights between Hawaii and the West Coast?

Originally Posted by RabbitohRob

it truly is a frightening experience.

I would only fly this Wamos flight at your own peril. Honestly, there is negligence here on Avianca's part for using this antiquated, possibly unsafe, Spanish-based aircraft...
I get that you were not happy with the flight. Hence the rant. I'll give you a hyperbole pass on calling both aircraft and flight attendants filthy, and attributing the state of the cabin crew to their living in Bogota.

But stirring up concern about flight safety is a serious business
What was frightening about the flight? Why do you believe we are in danger using this service? What leads you to suggest the aircraft and/or its operation might be unsafe?
Old Mar 24, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: A3 *Gold, AA Plat, AB Plat, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by br2k
Did you apply any kind of a FF program to those flights? Did Wamos flights earn mileage as Avianca flights?
Normally when earning miles with *A it's the metal that counts. However, I suppose that this would be an exception here, meaning, yes, I think you would earn miles just like on Avianca.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by johnnywho
Normally when earning miles with *A it's the metal that counts. However, I suppose that this would be an exception here, meaning, yes, I think you would earn miles just like on Avianca.
You may still earn miles with AV when the flights are flown by Wamos or Omni, however this may not be the case if you try to credit to other *A FFPs. See this thread as caution.

JFK-BOG Miles not Posting due to Metal Change to Omni Air

(Wamos will create the same issue, *A miles have to be flown on *A metal)

I'll be flying in a few days on this deal and 1 segment will be flown by Wamos. It may cost me more than just a few hundred dollars if I want to stick with AV metals, including work time and sleep deprivation, luckily I had built enough cushion to enable my *A gold renewal so missing only 1 semgnet won't impact it.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by vincewy
You may still earn miles with AV when the flights are flown by Wamos or Omni, however this may not be the case if you try to credit to other *A FFPs. See this thread as caution.

JFK-BOG Miles not Posting due to Metal Change to Omni Air

(Wamos will create the same issue, *A miles have to be flown on *A metal)

I'll be flying in a few days on this deal and 1 segment will be flown by Wamos. It may cost me more than just a few hundred dollars if I want to stick with AV metals, including work time and sleep deprivation, luckily I had built enough cushion to enable my *A gold renewal so missing only 1 semgnet won't impact it.
Somehow that doesn't feel right, during the whole time while booking my flight (OTA) there was never anything to let me know that I wouldn't be flying on a proper AV aircraft.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:18 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by IAN-UK

What was frightening about the flight? Why do you believe we are in danger using this service? What leads you to suggest the aircraft and/or its operation might be unsafe?
Trivia time. One of the reasons Avianca pilots were on strike last year was because of concerns about shoddy maintenance practices by AV.

I’ve been on AV flights where crew have let children run around whilst taxiing, with pax filling exit rows with bags. On a BOG GRU flight crew didn’t wake up the guy in 1A so he landed flat and asleep. Others landed surrounded by glassware that had not been stowed away.

On a LIM BOG flight a couple of years ago, coming into BOG for a bumpy landing, crew castigated a Peruvian teenage girl for not folding her table tray away. She couldn’t because the crew had failed to clear the dinner service from the whole cabin. There was yoghurt and bread buns flying everywhere.

Id be really really surprised if Wamos is even more concerning

Kacee likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Another data point.

Booked AV245 March 27th. However, upon checking AV, flight was severely overbooked and many were sent to LA (if your final destination was not BOG they'll send you to nonstop flight). In terms product, I can't complain, LA's hard (787) and soft (closest you'll get with ME3 and TK) products are ahead of all of their competitors in the region. However, it's going to impact my *A renewal.

After this trip I'm thinking about flying with LA to South America going forward, everything is much more consistent.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 2:37 am

Announcement on Avianca.com

Interesting! If you now do a dummy booking JFK-BOG, you get the following information on avianca.com:

"As of April 6, 2018, flights AV244 and AV245 between Bogota and New York will be operated by WAMOS AIR. As of that date, flights AV020 and AV021 currently operated by that airline, will be once again operated by Avianca."

Finally they made it official!
Captain Canuck likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: AC MM SE, Marriott Titanium - Lifetime Plat 2nd Class, National Executive, Avis PP
So instead of being "Wamosed" on the morning flight you will be now be hit on the afternoon return from BOG-JFK

Hopefully they get rid of Wamos once and for all prior to my November trip....

CC
Old Apr 5, 2018, 12:40 pm
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
They finally put up a page explaining what's been happening on the JFK-BOG flights too. It has some useful information. The good news for me is that I'm booked on AV21 and AV20 in September so it looks like I'll get the Avianca reverse herringbone seats.

https://www.avianca.com/us/en/travel...ogota-new-york
Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by jbb
They finally put up a page explaining what's been happening on the JFK-BOG flights too. It has some useful information. The good news for me is that I'm booked on AV21 and AV20 in September so it looks like I'll get the Avianca reverse herringbone seats.

https://www.avianca.com/us/en/travel...ogota-new-york
and now their website is down

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.