Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[Premium Fare Gone]:Avianca/: Business - Various USA-various South America $1200-1699

[Premium Fare Gone]:Avianca/: Business - Various USA-various South America $1200-1699

Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:53 am

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Have flights booked in October. How can I tell if they are Wamos flights?
Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: A3 *Gold, AA Plat, AB Plat, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by mjmqm
Just flew this. Booked in Nov using info from the thread previous listed in post #6 . Avianca was great. Credited everything to aeroplan with no issues at 125%. Flights were good but late leaving JFK. We ended up on WAMOS out of JFK.
OMG, I did not understand your comment about WAMOS yesterday!
Now I think I might get vamosed as well on my leg from JFK to BOG, however it said *Aircraft model is subject to change.
So maybe by the end of July they'll be flying this route with a decent business class.
Fortunately all my other legs show a 1-2-1 configuration, so maybe I'll be able to avoid the WAMOS experience.

I hope this wouldn't affect mileage accrual, normaly on *A the metal is relevant.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:12 am

I just checked on flightradar24 and for the past 7 days every flight with the number AV 21 JFK-BOG was done by the same Wamos aircraft...

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/av21
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: AC MM SE, Marriott Titanium - Lifetime Plat 2nd Class, National Executive, Avis PP
Originally Posted by Quinlanty
Do a dummy booking for your date and check to see if this message appears (this is for tomorrow's flight) :

06:30 John F Kennedy International (JFK)
12:07 El Dorado International (BOG)
Total duration 05h37m, Direct flight
Avianca (AV21) Operated By WAMOS FOR AVIANCA - get to know more.

My flight in November does not say this and shows 1-2-1 config on the seat plan, so I interpret this as Avianca metal, not WAMOS

Perhaps this is just a seasonal switch ?

CC
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by RabbitohRob
BEWARE FOLKS!!! BEWARE BEWARE

The flight fom JFK-BOG will be on a chartered plane called Wamos. I just flew it after booking this fare a few months ago. Wamos is a Spanish-based charter operator and Avianca have rented a few of their aircraft and of course, they stuck it on the JFK-BOG route.

This is why the fare is so low.

And remember, Wamos have their money. They are paid per route. So there is no incentive for them to offer anything remotely resembling Business Class. And who knows what their safety record is?

This Business Class is without a doubt the most disgusting I have been on. Ever. Period. Last year I flew 700,000k, with 95% in Premium. The Wamos aircraft was a very dirty old A330-200, 18 years old according to Flightradar24, it was a 2-2-2 configuration with really old, very uncomfortable, worn out seats.

The Wamos cabin was filthy. I found used tissues from the previous flight in my seat pocket. There is no IFE in Business, however they will offer an iPad, version 1, so its super heavy and cumbersome. And you will have a choice of 4 old movies from around 2012-2013 era. And I literally mean ONLY 4 movies. The blanket was so thin and used and the pillows were that awful polyester cover. God knows if it was even changed or cleaned in between flights. I doubt it.

The Wamos flight attendants come across as really filthy that they are probably forced to be based in BOG while Avianca charter this aircraft. They were openly hostile if they were called. They had run out of water when I asked about 3 hours into the flight.

The catering was sent out en-masse on plastic trays in the first 40 minutes and was dried out. Then we hardly saw them for the remainder of the flight.

It was no better than economy class in most airlines. And to top it all off, the Wamos flight was 2 hours late causing me to miss the Avianca UIO-LIM connection in BOG. The only good thing that came from Wamos being late, was on arrival in BOG, and because It was late, Avianca gave me a flight direct to LIM, instead of going through UIO. The payoff of course, luggage lost, but I received it 2 days later.

I am due to fly back to JFK tomorrow morning and it is the same Wamos aircraft. It is SO BAD, SO OLD, and such a RIP-OFF even calling this Business Class, I am calling Avianca from here in LIM to get rerouted on Avianca aircraft. I will not fly on Wamos. I don't even know if they have a safety record!

It truly is a frightening experience.

I would only fly this Wamos flight at your own peril. Honestly, there is negligence here on Avianca's part for using this antiquated, possibly unsafe, Spanish-based aircraft and for selling this as Business Class. It is not.

But if you need the points and don't mind sitting in glorified economy class, knock yourself out.
Our flights were fine. If you had bothered to check AV21 leaving JFK is constantly late. This fare has been around for a while and long before Avianca started using Wamos. In general Avianca is known for sub-par food and a lack luster business class product. The FAs on our flights were pleasant, helpful and took great care of out daughter also. Food was fine, not great. The Bog to JFK had better food than JFK to Bog. Agree on the ipad movie selection. Didn't notice anything unsafe. Beds were fine, no problem sleeping. We paid roughly $649 US each and seriously for the price could you point me in the direction of a decent value for the price paid.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:47 am

Isn't the issue, as was already pointed out, that if you recreate a dummy booking with a connection through BOG it will show the "good" AV21, but if you recreate just the JFK-BOG leg you'll get the WAMOS warning?

So people using BOG as a connection get tricked into believing they get the better plane whereas point-to-point travelers at least get a warning.

My flight in November has been WAMOS'ed, I'm sure. Hopefully it gets changed between now and then.

Last edited by two_scoops; Mar 9, 2018 at 11:48 am Reason: Typos
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: AF Platinum, UA Platinum Million Miler Lifetime Gold, QR Platinum, HH Lifetime Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by steveholt
I'm sorry, the *flight attendants* are filthy?
Sorry, filthy is an Australian slang term meaning " Angry about it"
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: AF Platinum, UA Platinum Million Miler Lifetime Gold, QR Platinum, HH Lifetime Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Quinlanty
You literally can't tell. If I was Avianca, I too would hide it from the public as much and as long as possible. I was on the Avianca App this morning checking the flights back to JFK in the next few days and it still shows as the 788 fom LIM-BOG and then the A330 ( 1-2-1 ) back to New York. Luckily I got a notification from Check my Trip and it shows Wamos.

I was able to call Avianca and change my routing at no charge. Even though I will now fly on A320's on the way back, but as "mjmqm" noted, the food will be better and these aircraft have an IFE system that represents decency.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by mjmqm
Our flights were fine. If you had bothered to check AV21 leaving JFK is constantly late. This fare has been around for a while and long before Avianca started using Wamos. In general Avianca is known for sub-par food and a lack luster business class product. The FAs on our flights were pleasant, helpful and took great care of out daughter also. Food was fine, not great. The Bog to JFK had better food than JFK to Bog. Agree on the ipad movie selection. Didn't notice anything unsafe. Beds were fine, no problem sleeping. We paid roughly $649 US each and seriously for the price could you point me in the direction of a decent value for the price paid.
So what you are saying is that we should all accept sub-par food and a generally lack luster business class product?

I got a great fare with TAP a while ago and I was honestly disappointed about their food, service and product in general. They still use old hardware on some of their routes to Africa, but would it be too much to ask for to keep it clean? Old does not have to mean bread crumbs and smudged surfaces. Their service was just so-so, on the short-haul feeder we were stuck at the gate for about 30-40 minutes before departure. Instead of offering something to drink to the business class passengers the flight attendants were just standing there talking. When I asked about it, I was told that TAP generally doesn't do pre-departure drinks on short-haul flights.

Anyway, what I am trying to say is that a business should always strive for a better service, product etc.
Just because I got a great price does not mean that I should put up with a lame product. Others who might have paid double or triple the amount weren't treated any better. In my case it means, as much as I like Portugal and its friendly people, I would fly a different airline next time.
The same applies here -whereas before I thought Avianca was a decent airline I am now not really looking forward to this trip.

Sorry, if this was slightly off-topic, but I just had to reply.
Captain Canuck likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 3:15 am

Programs: QFF WP, VA SG, Hhonors Diamond
Agree with the above posters - this is a truly terrible flight. At least some managed to get the food - I waited more than an hour and a half, with still no sign of any food or drink (and it was the red eye, so sleep was at a premium). Gave up and attempted to sleep, but the seats are quite literally worse than economy!

Avoid 1A at all costs - the slide escape bulges into your foot well. I've flown Airasia long haul more than 20 times (in economy) and that is far more comfortable.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by johnnywho
So what you are saying is that we should all accept sub-par food and a generally lack luster business class product?

I got a great fare with TAP a while ago and I was honestly disappointed about their food, service and product in general. They still use old hardware on some of their routes to Africa, but would it be too much to ask for to keep it clean? Old does not have to mean bread crumbs and smudged surfaces. Their service was just so-so, on the short-haul feeder we were stuck at the gate for about 30-40 minutes before departure. Instead of offering something to drink to the business class passengers the flight attendants were just standing there talking. When I asked about it, I was told that TAP generally doesn't do pre-departure drinks on short-haul flights.

Anyway, what I am trying to say is that a business should always strive for a better service, product etc.
Just because I got a great price does not mean that I should put up with a lame product. Others who might have paid double or triple the amount weren't treated any better. In my case it means, as much as I like Portugal and its friendly people, I would fly a different airline next time.
The same applies here -whereas before I thought Avianca was a decent airline I am now not really looking forward to this trip.

Sorry, if this was slightly off-topic, but I just had to reply.
Agree that any business should strive for a better service. Before taking this flight I read numerous reviews on Avianca and the less than stellar food and service in general. As I stated our food was fine and the service was great. Before departure my wife's champagne was re-filled promptly. My wife was sleeping through the meal service and the FA noted when she woke and was at her side offering a meal and cheese course.

At the price paid this was a great deal.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: AA, SQ, DL
AV: JFK-LIM $699rt in J

Many dates. Connection in BOG.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:58 am

Curious that there is not a single photo of WAMOS A330 interior on the net, in particular the business seat.
(I have a flight booked on AV245 that looks like A320 now, and if WAMOS seat is any kind of lie-flat, even angle, I'd rather switch onto that - can't sleep sitting up, and don't care about AVOD or lack thereof)
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by br2k
Curious that there is not a single photo of WAMOS A330 interior on the net, in particular the business seat.
(I have a flight booked on AV245 that looks like A320 now, and if WAMOS seat is any kind of lie-flat, even angle, I'd rather switch onto that - can't sleep sitting up, and don't care about AVOD or lack thereof)
Have to translate form Spanish but there are some pictures.

Primer despegue en España del Airbus A330 de Wamos Air | Noticias de VIDEOS | Revista de turismo Preferente.com

https://www.hosteltur.com/118405_wamos-air-crecera-verano-2017-60-flota-40-capacidad.html
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:20 am

Cool, thanks!

Business seat looks sleep-able to me, def. beats narrow body seat-up seats.

Someone above was successful in changing the ticket from A330 to A320 based on aircraft swap. I wonder if I would be able to do the opposite.
For now, though, my AV245 still shows A330 (although until about a week prior it's all A320) - not sure whether to trust the current aircraft designation, wait longer or call and try to change now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.