Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

What makes a great milage & segment run?

Old Jan 27, 18, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Gold, BA Exec Club, Via Rail

Hey FTers,

Just thought I'd pose this question as a quick search hasn't yielded a post that goes into great detail on the criteria for great MRs.

In posting several MRs on FT here is what I've gathered makes a good run:
  • Good CPM which is simply Price / # of Qualifying Miles Flown:
    • CPM > 5 - standard fare (no point publishing to FT)
    • CPM between 3.6 and 5 - good deal (post to Good Deals thread for those needing the miles)
    • CPM between 2.5 and 3.5 - great deal - post directly as thread on MR Deals
    • CPM less than 2.5 - terrific deal, post directly to MR Deals, could end up in hall of fame
  • Quick Turn around (ideally same day if domestic or +1/2 days if flying TATL or TPAC)
  • Ideally from a large airport (since there will be more FTers that live near ORD than say BDL)
  • There is value in flying the airline (i.e. no point doing milage run on WS since those miles don't get you status with WS or partner airlines)
  • Basic Economy ok if CPM is really low (i.e. < 3 CPM) since some people actually might want to travel there and may not need to earn the miles
One thing I don't see much discussion of in MR Deals are so called segment runs where the objective is to get as many segments for a given itinerary for the lowest possible price. This is important as airlines award status based either on BIS or number of segments flown. For instance, on UA you need to fly 50,000 miles or 60 segments on UA and *A partners to earn Gold. I suspect there are many domestic FTers who simply don't have the time, stamina and/or need to fly the crazy miles required to earn mid to top tier status on most of these airlines.

If I were to reverse engineer what makes a great MR (i.e. CPM of 2.5) and divide that by the number of miles to get mid-tier on many programs (50,000) I get a total flight cost of $1,250. Dividing the amount by the 60 segments yield an ideal CPS of ~$21.

That being said I'd love to hear from fellow FTers on what makes a great MR in terms of CPM and CPS and overall itinerary since this seems to be a black art for many. Also what makes a great premium (J/F) milage run? Do we still go by CPM or are there other criterion to consider?

Safe Travels,

James
pmichelazzo likes this.
Old Jan 28, 18, 12:18 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
While I appreciate your enthusiasm you must not have reviewed the stickies in the forum where you will find this information.

There are rules for posting in each forum already. The Premium Fare Forum rules were decided after input from members a few years ago. That is not open for discussion.

Basic Economy fares that earn no miles do not belong in the Mileage Run Forum at all, except in the Good Deals thread where it must be made clear that it is for Basic Economy.

Pat89339, Moderator Mileage Run Forum
Old Jan 28, 18, 9:44 pm

Location: Bangkok and Palm Coast, FL. Exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Not much

MR's (actually, only try to do CMR's, as in premium cabin,) are only useful if you can easily meet some elite qualifying goals cheaply. Having said that, I just finished 4 (one way) trans pacific's in 6 days, one on UA where I was UPG'd to J, SIN-LAX-EWR-left overs from last year's EWR-SIN $473 RT fare- and three CX PE JFK-HKG from the last Black Friday sale. Almost 5000 EQD's on AA and still have the last leg HKG-JFK in April. Oh, and 53k AA RDM's vs apx 2000 for the UA economy fare. Love those premium cabin partner deals.

Last edited by rbAA; Jan 28, 18 at 10:00 pm
Old Feb 2, 18, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA advantage
How you got 5000 AA EQD with 4 legs @ $473 each?
Old Feb 5, 18, 3:16 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
My personal mileage run goals:
  • Sub 5CPM
  • Don't miss work
    • If I am going to miss work than see some place new or cool.....or see a friend
  • Add new lines to My Flightmemory
Old Feb 5, 18, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Gold, BA Exec Club, Via Rail
On a side note, are there any guidelines for cost-per segment (CPS)?

I suspect there are many frequent flyers who don't travel the distance to qualify for mid-top tier FF status but make enough trips to the airport to certainly qualify as a frequent flyer (i.e. domestic/regional flyers). If I were in their shoes I could totally see myself doing a crazy segment run to secure mid-tier status.

Search this Thread