Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] NZ: US Destinations to AKL - $350ish ai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] NZ: US Destinations to AKL - $350ish ai

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:35 pm

I wrote a blog post detailing the mistake fare, and the cancellation. In addition I quoted the letter from Cheapoair announcing the cancellation. If the moderator removes the link, I think there's a link to my blog at the bottom with my name.

[Mistake Fare] Bye Bye New Zealand - It Was Nice While it Lasted - Will Run For Miles

I've been pretty lucky with mistake fares so I can't get mad.
ldubin and ron187 like this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:38 pm

i got cancelled through travelocity
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
Aaaaaaand.... gone from the NZ site! Was just a matter of time. Still showing on UA and AMEX, and charge is still pending on my Amex Plat, but they will disappear soon too!

Onward and upward to the next mistake fare...and let's hope it is not with Air NZ who are nasty little meanie-pants because they canceled us all!
ldubin likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, MP, DL
Still filed DOT Complaint because they are meanie-pants!
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:17 pm

My charge is still in Pending. I used my Chase Sapphire Reserve. It would be funny if Chase gave me the $300 travel credit for this charge.
ldubin likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
Wow, this is a new low!
I booked SEA-LAX-AKL-LAX-SEA with the SEA-LAX on AS and the LAX-AKL on NZ, via Expedia. Ticketed successfully, and already added "buy up" upgrade offers. I got email 90m ago from Expedia that the two NZ flights had been cancelled by the airline. When I called Expedia, I got the worst callcenter employee possible, and she said...$200 change fee to cancel my reservation, but that nothing had been changed, and everything was ticketed correctly. Which appears to mean SEA-LAX-SEA now, only.

Trying to figure out how to escalate with Expedia. Also will file DOT complaint on NZ. (I have AS MVPG75K status so worst case I won't get screwed by Alaska when I have to cancel those tickets, or the SFO-SEA positioning flights I bought, but still.)
ldubin likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by katstarr
I wrote a blog post detailing the mistake fare, and the cancellation. In addition I quoted the letter from Cheapoair announcing the cancellation.

for those who don't feel like supporting blogger spam:

We regret to have to inform you that Air New Zealand has recently notified us that it has canceled your round trip flight tickets between the U.S. and New Zealand that you purchased through us. The reason, according to the airline, is that they advertised this fare by mistake . Here’s an excerpt from their notice:

“Due to human error, there was a discrepancy with the fare price advertised and unfortunately we’re unable to proceed with any tickets issued on this fare error. We are very sorry for any inconvenience caused and Air New Zealand has authorized a refund. Most tickets will be VOIDed so your credit card should be updated shortly with the removal of the charge. In Canada, a refund will be processed to original form of payment. Again, we sincerely apologize for this mistake and we thank you for your understanding.”For affected customers who want to rebook with Air New Zealand , Air New Zealand has offered to honor many of their fares that were advertised correctly and that were in effect at the time you made your original purchase.

This ticket cancellation and the consumer protection steps (i.e. refunds, demonstration of mistaken fare, etc.) that Air New Zealand has taken do, in our opinion, conform to the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Enforcement policy , which covers flights beginning or ending in the U.S., or having a stopover of 24 hours or more in the United States.

Very regrettably, fare mistakes by airlines similar to the Air New Zealand one do happen from time to time in the business. So your understanding is greatly appreciated.

For those customers who may be wondering why they are only just now being informed of this cancellation, we can inform you that we were dependent on when Air New Zealand notified us, and, as soon as we were notified, we had to take some time to assess the matter out of business prudence.

ldubin likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rdlmitedu
Wow, this is a new low!
I booked SEA-LAX-AKL-LAX-SEA with the SEA-LAX on AS and the LAX-AKL on NZ, via Expedia. Ticketed successfully, and already added "buy up" upgrade offers. I got email 90m ago from Expedia that the two NZ flights had been cancelled by the airline. When I called Expedia, I got the worst callcenter employee possible, and she said...$200 change fee to cancel my reservation, but that nothing had been changed, and everything was ticketed correctly. Which appears to mean SEA-LAX-SEA now, only.

Trying to figure out how to escalate with Expedia. Also will file DOT complaint on NZ. (I have AS MVPG75K status so worst case I won't get screwed by Alaska when I have to cancel those tickets, or the SFO-SEA positioning flights I bought, but still.)
Weird...both my United and NZ cancelled all at once...wonder why your SEA-LAX got orphaned
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

That message from CheapO is actually a LOT nicer of a message than I got. Also DOT already replied...emphasis mine...

Dear ME:

This responds to your communication regarding Expedia.com and Air New Zealand. The U.S. Department of Transportation seeks to ensure that all airline passengers are treated fairly. Complaints from consumers are helpful to us in determining whether the airlines are in compliance with our rules and to track trends or spot areas of concern that warrant further action.

I will forward your complaint to the companies and ask them to respond directly to you with a copy to us. I will review the companies responses.

If my review of your complaint and the responses from the companies discloses a potential violation of our rules, our office may pursue enforcement action. Generally, our office pursues enforcement action on the basis of a number of complaints which may indicate a pattern or practice of violating our rules. Your complaint may be among those considered and may lead to appropriate enforcement action including the assessment of civil penalties. However, our office has no authority to order compensation for individual complainants.

I have entered your complaint in our computerized industry monitoring system, and it will be counted among the number of complaints filed against these complanies in our monthly Air Travel Consumer Report. This report allows consumers and air travel companies to compare the complaint records of individual airlines and tour operators. The data in this report also serve as a basis for rulemaking, legislation and research. Consumer information for air travelers, including the Air Travel Consumer Report and our pamphlet Fly-Rights, a Consumer's Guide to Air Travel, can be found on our website: www.transportation.gov/airconsumer.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.
katstarr likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, CO Emeritus, United kettle, Ural Airlines Wings, Hilton, National
Hotwire cancellation of NZ flights orphaned my Alaska HNL-PDX segment, but after a call they arraigned the Alaska cancellation. Took a long time on the phone.

They said they were dealing with a large volume of people with the same issue. I did buy up to preferred seats on New Zealand. I assume they will cancel those as well or will I have to argue with someone? No time atm to call them.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by ldubin
That message from CheapO is actually a LOT nicer of a message than I got. Also DOT already replied...emphasis mine...
that is just a generic DOT response which they send to everyone who submits a complaint. you will get another response from NZ that says it was a mistake and that will be the end of it.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd

for those who don't feel like supporting blogger spam:
Seriously? I'd hardly call that blogger spam or click bait.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by katstarr
Seriously? I'd hardly call that blogger spam or click bait.
sounds like something a blogger would say. you even suggest yourself it will be removed by a mod and further feel the need to point to your blog link in your sig. why not just paste it here if you're so indifferent?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by invalyd
that is just a generic DOT response which they send to everyone who submits a complaint. you will get another response from NZ that says it was a mistake and that will be the end of it.
I meant the message katstarr got from CheapoAir vs my Expedia. And with DOT yeah...not my first rodeo...but I like adding to the statistics. Would kind of like to know the actual mistake, it wasn't a zero fare ticket, nor was a zero missing...but that's just techie me being curious.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by ldubin
I meant the message katstarr got from CheapoAir vs my Expedia. And with DOT yeah...not my first rodeo...but I like adding to the statistics. Would kind of like to know the actual mistake, it wasn't a zero fare ticket, nor was a zero missing...but that's just techie me being curious.
yeah, i don't disagree. hopefully if enough if people file they might be eventually persuaded to change the rule to allow only 24 hours for an airline to cancel a fare, which imo would be fair.

it was a $100 fare btw, allegedly only intended for travel within NZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.