Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] NZ: US Destinations to AKL - $350ish ai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] NZ: US Destinations to AKL - $350ish ai

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:31 pm

Received cancellation email. Called air NZ and they said no, escalated to supervisor and while nice she said they are not honoring them at all. Talked for 30 minutes on the phone and they wouldn’t budge.
Tries to reason with them that I only have 24 hours to claim a mistake and she said that depending on circumstances they may allow me to cancel fee free as it would be a case by case. Asked if this can be case by case and no dice. Really disappointed. Should’ve flown yesterday.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Clincher
Well, over the years, like many of you on FT I’ve have flown on numerous mistake fares and the best scenario is when the airline realizes the potential for some good publicity and honors their mistakes. However, to our dismay few airlines are interested in good publicity. It seems making money trumps a good reputation. Ironic.

Nonetheless, win or lose this can be a fun fight. I would like to be more involved but I canceled and refunded my five ticketed flights for personal reasons before the airline took any action. I’m a bit surprised as it did not seem like a big mistake. At least they would make something off of those who booked, unlike some even better mistakes. My favorite $33 to Lanarca in business on Alitalia and more recently the currency fluctuation in Myanmar creating very low business fare originating from there.

Sorry for those who booked, who get excited and then receive the cancellation email. It’s not fair when a contract is created between two parties. My opinion, fight them. It’s fun and you may get some satisfaction over the merciless airline.

By the way, initial cancellations are a way to weed out the few who just give up and accept the cancellation. Sometimes a little fight rewards you with your ticket reinstatement.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Do you have any advice on how to proceed? I emailed and they said its a 15 day response wait time.I have contacted them via Facebook messenger and they said to email them. They are just giving me the run around. They won’t answer who to contact at NZ to get reimbursed for non-refundable expenses. The only thing they said is to send them to your travel agent. Who uses a travel agent nowadays ?

Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by arcticgrin

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Do you have any advice on how to proceed? I emailed and they said its a 15 day response wait time.I have contacted them via Facebook messenger and they said to email them. They are just giving me the run around. They won’t answer who to contact at NZ to get reimbursed for non-refundable expenses. The only thing they said is to send them to your travel agent. Who uses a travel agent nowadays ?

As you booked through an third party (Online Travel Agent) - you need to go through them, they are your 'point of contact' and act on your behalf. When flights are booked via an travel agent/OTA they have control over your booking, and not you. Even the airline is very limited in what are able todo with an ticket that is issues by an Travel Agent.

You'll need to make the claim via who you have booked your tickets from.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:17 pm

Programs: AP
Thanks
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
Originally Posted by arcticgrin

First register the complaint with the airline and DOT. If enough complain to DOT maybe some pressure will force the airline to rethink their stand. Then if needed small claims court is your friend. It cost only about $20 to force a Air New Zealand representative to stand in front of a small claims court and explain why they cancelled a contract (ticket # is a contract). Sometimes the judge will ask if the parties involve want a few minutes to arbitrate without the courts intervention. In such moments the airline may offer some compensation. I'm fortunate to be close to NYC small claims. Small claims in person may not be convenient for every one.
I am sure opinions vary on the above recommendation. All I know is what has worked for me in the past.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: AA plat, BA, B6, DL, UA gold, SPG/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Brituchenite
and charge is still pending on my Amex Plat, but they will disappear soon too!
Still see the pending charge for $1 from Priceline and $335 from Air New Zealand on my Amex.

You all can complain to DOT all you want, but Air NZ made it clear this was a mistake due to human error. Etihad would've honored these, and JAL even honored those crazy $154 r/t tickets from Taipei to Osaka to San Jose, but Air NZ isn't going to budge.

Time to move on to the next unadvertised special....
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
As you booked through an third party (Online Travel Agent) - you need to go through them, they are your 'point of contact' and act on your behalf. When flights are booked via an travel agent/OTA they have control over your booking, and not you. Even the airline is very limited in what are able todo with an ticket that is issues by an Travel Agent.

You'll need to make the claim via who you have booked your tickets from.
Initially the third party agency is the point of contact/complaint. However, when the third party passes the reason for the cancellation over to the airline, in writing as shown below, then the third party is no longer involved. Print such out and include in complaint to DOT or part of your paperwork presented to small claims

Dear XXX,

We have been made aware by Air New Zealand that they had an issue with the pricing of their tickets, which caused a number of tickets to be sold at prices significantly lower than their actual value.

Due to the error, Air New Zealand have taken the decision to cancel all tickets affected by this.

The airline now begun to process all refunds back for affected tickets to the original form of payment used to make the booking, and the funds will be available to you within 10 business days.

We apologize for the inconvenience that this may have caused you, and should you have any further questions, you may contact Air New Zealand directly at 1-800-262-1234 for US and 1-866-351-9528 for Canada.

Sincerely,

The Expedia Team
Old Jan 26, 2018, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, MP, DL
'Hundreds' of passengers hit by Air New Zealand online airfare pricing error - NZ Herald
Well it made the news
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: AP
Originally Posted by rdlmitedu
Wow, this is a new low!
I booked SEA-LAX-AKL-LAX-SEA with the SEA-LAX on AS and the LAX-AKL on NZ, via Expedia. Ticketed successfully, and already added "buy up" upgrade offers. I got email 90m ago from Expedia that the two NZ flights had been cancelled by the airline. When I called Expedia, I got the worst callcenter employee possible, and she said...$200 change fee to cancel my reservation, but that nothing had been changed, and everything was ticketed correctly. Which appears to mean SEA-LAX-SEA now, only.

Trying to figure out how to escalate with Expedia. Also will file DOT complaint on NZ. (I have AS MVPG75K status so worst case I won't get screwed by Alaska when I have to cancel those tickets, or the SFO-SEA positioning flights I bought, but still.)
Just checked on United and my flights BUF-IAD-IAH-IAD-BUF were also left with the ANZ gone now.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: AA plat, BA, B6, DL, UA gold, SPG/Marriott gold
Yeah with this stellar newbie quote: "@FlyAirNZ DoT requires, by law, that you reimburse me for all non-refundable reservations made based on the flight purchased. Please advise where I can send my receipts for 12 nights in hotels, 10 days bus tour, and activites." (sic)

Good luck with that, kiddo. Guess she missed the fine print when she read about these flights on SecretFlying.com: "WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU DELAY MAKING FURTHER PLANS AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. BECAUSE THIS IS AN ERROR-FARE, THERE IS ALWAYS THE SMALL CHANCE THE AIRLINE MAY CANCEL THE TICKET."

"I really have no interest in booking with Air New Zealand again after that experience."

Except of course she didn't book with Air New Zealand.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Checked my bookings today on United.com and Air New Zealand and looks like my ticket is cancelled.

I still haven't received any email from eDreams (the OTA I used.) In fact, I got an email from them today with suggestions for things to do in New Zealand haha.

My booking still shows up as intact on their website. Also, when I view the ticket on united.com I get the following message: "Your itinerary cannot be retrieved because it has been canceled. You may use the remaining value of your ticket toward a new flight by selecting the "Change Flight" link below. A change fee may apply."

Should I be concerned that I'm not going to get my money back from eDreams? Should I reach out to them or wait for the official cancellation email?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
Originally Posted by ron187
Checked my bookings today on United.com and Air New Zealand and looks like my ticket is cancelled.

I still haven't received any email from eDreams (the OTA I used.) In fact, I got an email from them today with suggestions for things to do in New Zealand haha.

My booking still shows up as intact on their website. Also, when I view the ticket on united.com I get the following message: "Your itinerary cannot be retrieved because it has been canceled. You may use the remaining value of your ticket toward a new flight by selecting the "Change Flight" link below. A change fee may apply."

Should I be concerned that I'm not going to get my money back from eDreams? Should I reach out to them or wait for the official cancellation email?
just wait for email and you’ll get your money back, mine cancelled on air new zeland, 5 hrs later on united and 5 hrs later on priceline
Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by ron187

eDreams messed up a booking for my friend he flew in from Croatia to EWR and was going to fly back on a different airline from JFK. They failed to book his JFK flight back and he was told by eDreams to pay for the same flight out of pocket and they would reimburse him later. It's been over a year and he still hasn't seen that money.

Last edited by arcticgrin; Jan 26, 2018 at 11:31 am
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:28 pm

Still active

My reservation is still intact. Anyone else still alive?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by latke
My reservation is still intact. Anyone else still alive?
Mine just canceled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.