Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Ethiopian Airlines : EWR - ABJ (Ivory Coast) $318 RT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Ethiopian Airlines : EWR - ABJ (Ivory Coast) $318 RT

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:07 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
And appears to require a Yellow Fever cert ... just a FYI for anyone who doesn't have one.

I priced it out in the US and found it insanely expensive (ie. cost of the whole airfare)
The yellow fever certificate is now valid lifetime as opposed to ten years.
RobOnLI and pushmyredbutton like this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
"E" fares earn 50% RDM and PQM in UA MileagePlus.

-RM
Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:22 am

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Have a couple of questions. 1. If I fly to Abidjan with no visa, but have a separate flight booked to somewhere else in Africa, do I still need a visa for Ivory Coast?

2. Anyone know if most insurances cover yellow fever vaccination? $300 for it would make this ticked not so nice haha!

3. Apparently Aegean Airlines credits Ethiopian E class at 100%. Would you guys and girls suggest crediting to Aegean or are their miles not valuable or hard to use?

Thanks from an Africa/Star Alliance beginner
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: QF LTG
Originally Posted by Quinlanty
2. Anyone know if most insurances cover yellow fever vaccination? $300 for it would make this ticked not so nice haha!
My insurance didn't cover it but it shouldn't cost more than $150 anywhere. Don't be ripped off paying $300
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Have a couple of questions. 1. If I fly to Abidjan with no visa, but have a separate flight booked to somewhere else in Africa, do I still need a visa for Ivory Coast?

I don't believe you will even be allowed to board ABJ-bound flight without Cote D'Ivoire visa regardless of your ultimate destination

3. Apparently Aegean Airlines credits Ethiopian E class at 100%. Would you guys and girls suggest crediting to Aegean or are their miles not valuable or hard to use?

Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:18 pm
Used to be highman123
Original Poster

Most US insurance plans pick up Yellow fever. If not get GoodRx and check which of your local pharmacies is cheapest.

https://www.mightytravels.com/2016/0...e-to-get-them/

Alternatively most clinics in Bangkok do it for $50 or less.

I have never been asked for a visa in Africa even when going to tough visa places like Cameroon or Nigeria. As mentioned before most places have an informal visa on arrival or 'transit visa'. You can guess where the money goes...

But this informal visa may be more expensive than just getting the e-visa that is now available - also makes you much less anxious!
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by MightyTravels
Most US insurance plans pick up Yellow fever. If not get GoodRx and check which of your local pharmacies is cheapest.

https://www.mightytravels.com/2016/0...e-to-get-them/

Alternatively most clinics in Bangkok do it for $50 or less.

I have never been asked for a visa in Africa even when going to tough visa places like Cameroon or Nigeria. As mentioned before most places have an informal visa on arrival or 'transit visa'. You can guess where the money goes...

But this informal visa may be more expensive than just getting the e-visa that is now available - also makes you much less anxious!
Fyi, it's free in Colombia. Got one there in 2015 at a regular clinic, no bill at all.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly

Fyi, it's free in Colombia. Got one there in 2015 at a regular clinic, no bill at all.
Mine was 100% covered by insurance since it is considered preventative care. Lesser insured friends have gotten theirs from the county public health department for $75.
MightyTravels and Quinlanty like this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: AA plat, BA, B6, DL, UA gold, SPG/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by dls25
Mine was 100% covered by insurance since it is considered preventative care. Lesser insured friends have gotten theirs from the county public health department for $75.
Lucky you. I've never had an insurance policy that would cover vaccinations deemed "unnecessary" i.e. typhoid, yellow fever, etc., as these are not endemic in the USA and thus not "preventive care". Sigh.

However I got my latest yellow fever booster* vaccination at Passport Health in Florida.

*because some countries still want evidence that you've been vaccinated in the past ten years
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:27 am
Community Director Emerita

Getting a yellow fever vaccination has become really tough in the US. The manufacturer ran out of vaccine in mid 2017. Their new plant comes online later this year. In the interim, the vaccine used in Europe has been approved for use in the US at roughly 250 locations. For example, in the state of Indiana, there are only two places where it can be gotten. There's a thread in the Africa forum discussing this.
MightyTravels likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Getting a yellow fever vaccination has become really tough in the US. The manufacturer ran out of vaccine in mid 2017. Their new plant comes online later this year. In the interim, the vaccine used in Europe has been approved for use in the US at roughly 250 locations. For example, in the state of Indiana, there are only two places where it can be gotten. There's a thread in the Africa forum discussing this.
Agree. While it may have been easy or cheap in the USA previously, it's the opposite today. I called around to numerous places in SF, and only 2 offer the vaccine with a total cost of around $275.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: DL ✈️
No contribution here but not sure why this isn't on "Excellent fares..." thread of instead the forum, not many miles to get from this fare :
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by tomasdev
No contribution here but not sure why this isn't on "Excellent fares..." thread of instead the forum, not many miles to get from this fare :
10k on the right program, like Aegean.
MightyTravels and Quinlanty like this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:34 pm

Heads up: Check your itineraries. Looks like ET changed the days on which they fly nonstop to ABJ. My Priceline itinerary now includes a stop in LFW both ways, with the outbound connecting flight departing a day earlier than the inbound arrives. I'm going to sit on it for now as the flight isn't until months away, but be advised.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:10 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
Heads up: Check your itineraries. Looks like ET changed the days on which they fly nonstop to ABJ. My Priceline itinerary now includes a stop in LFW both ways, with the outbound connecting flight departing a day earlier than the inbound arrives. I'm going to sit on it for now as the flight isn't until months away, but be advised.
Thanks! I noticed the schedule change email from Priceline, but didn't catch the change of dates, just thought it was the change of airport to the new one. Both are still non stop fwiw. Anyone have any experience getting Ethiopian to reroute? Really don't want to miss thanksgiving dinner!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.