Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

$1150 19.5K MQMs & $3900 MQDs a good deal?

Old Jan 7, 18, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver, Skymiles Peon, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Chase Reserve

Iím relatively new to this game as up until now my husband and I have only sought Silver status on FlyingBlue using the 15 segments strategy however with FB changing their program later this year, that strategy seems to be a bad deal. Now that Delta Skymiles allows companions to get all the benefits of the ticket holder including upgrades, it seems that Skymiles is way easier and cheaper to seek a higher level of status. Iím doing some searching last night, I found a round trip route with 1-stop on a Delta partner airline in business class that according to my calculation would net me 19.5K MQMs and $3900 MQDs at the cost of $1150. This route originates from an airport that I can get to via a low cost Delta flight. Itís a weekend flight and Iíve found the same deal for other weekends for the next few months. Is this a good deal? I really could use some advice from experience flyers and would really appreciate your advice for this newbie!
Old Jan 7, 18, 9:30 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, Amex Plat
I'm comparatively new to this game (relative to most of the regulars here), so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Whether it's a good deal depends on your specific needs. With all the changes to FF programs over the last couple of years, it no longer just comes down to $/MQM as you have surmised. Further, what constitutes a good deal is affected by your personal situation. e.g. I'm in Atlanta, so I don't expect super low $/MQM from my home airport.

I'm guessing that you are based in the US, and that the fare you've found is on a partner in business class. If you are based outside the US, MQD don't matter. If you can put $25k on a delta branded amex, MQD doesn't matter unless you are going for diamond.

Assuming MQD do matter, 3-5x MQD/$ seems to be in the good range, but not "awesome" until you get toward the upper end. I'm generally pretty happy at anything >4.

5-6c/mqm is, imo, pretty decent for premium seats. If this is long distance in a seat significantly below modern business class standards, I'd be less enthused.

When I'm looking for pure c/mqm, I typically get interested at around 3-3.5, but only for locations I'm interested in actually visiting. I rarely do a pure absolute MR.

I think you will get better advice if you give more specifics.
Old Jan 7, 18, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver, Skymiles Peon, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Chase Reserve
Originally Posted by angra View Post
I'm comparatively new to this game (relative to most of the regulars here), so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Whether it's a good deal depends on your specific needs. With all the changes to FF programs over the last couple of years, it no longer just comes down to $/MQM as you have surmised. Further, what constitutes a good deal is affected by your personal situation. e.g. I'm in Atlanta, so I don't expect super low $/MQM from my home airport.

I'm guessing that you are based in the US, and that the fare you've found is on a partner in business class. If you are based outside the US, MQD don't matter. If you can put $25k on a delta branded amex, MQD doesn't matter unless you are going for diamond.

Assuming MQD do matter, 3-5x MQD/$ seems to be in the good range, but not "awesome" until you get toward the upper end. I'm generally pretty happy at anything >4.

5-6c/mqm is, imo, pretty decent for premium seats. If this is long distance in a seat significantly below modern business class standards, I'd be less enthused.

When I'm looking for pure c/mqm, I typically get interested at around 3-3.5, but only for locations I'm interested in actually visiting. I rarely do a pure absolute MR.

I think you will get better advice if you give more specifics.
I am based in Detroit and Iíve found this deal on Aeromexico in business out of a couple of US airports. Iím just starting out with no status on Skymiles and Silver on FB.
Old Jan 7, 18, 10:15 am

If you don't want to pursue (or wait for) MQD waiver via amex, then I'd say it sounds like a decent deal if the seats are good. I'd like to defer to more experienced folks here to grade the quality.

For comparison/reference, I was happy with and booked a biz AM flight YYZ-MEX-EZE return for about $1500-$1600 (depending on exchange rate) yielding 5.3K MQD, a little over 26KMQM, a mix of recliner and lie flat seats, and 5 days siteseeing in EZE. But that is my calculus.

As an additional aside: some of the benefits of SIlver can be obtained via amex. Upgrade chances for silvers can be low. Depending on you travel patterns, you might be better off obtaining the benefits via means other than status.
mtu_flyer likes this.
Old Jan 7, 18, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Thatís a great route you found! Since the Delta strategy is much less costly than what I did for FB, Iím going to try to go for Platinum.
Old Jan 7, 18, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by mtu_flyer View Post
Thatís a great route you found! Since the Delta strategy is much less costly than what I did for FB, Iím going to try to go for Platinum.
Besides, Air Mexico, you may want to look at China Eastern flight options from YYZ and JFK. e.g. JFK-SIN in economy gets about 21,000 miles and prices are often in the $600 range. Similar prices from Toronto.
mtu_flyer likes this.
Old Jan 7, 18, 12:25 pm

IMO you should definitely look into the amex MQD waiver, especially given that it comes with a 10k or 20k mqm boost. I've literally never worried about MQD before this year, and ~3-3.5cpm in coach is not too hard to come by.
mtu_flyer likes this.
Old Jan 7, 18, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canuck_traveler View Post
Besides, Air Mexico, you may want to look at China Eastern flight options from YYZ and JFK. e.g. JFK-SIN in economy gets about 21,000 miles and prices are often in the $600 range. Similar prices from Toronto.
What fare class is that? I would think economy would only give you 100% of the distance?
Old Jan 7, 18, 12:46 pm

What fare class is that? I would think economy would only give you 100% of the distance?
China Eastern uses PVG as the hub so the flight routing is JFK-PVG-SIN-PVG-JFK
JFK-PVG is about 7370 miles
PVG-SIN is about 2350 miles

The "B" class economy fares gives 150% of miles and you can usually get them for the routes within Asia. So the miles would be 7370*2 + 2350*3 = 21,790

MQD earning is based on a percentage of distance flown and is class dependent.
Old Jan 7, 18, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canuck_traveler View Post
China Eastern uses PVG as the hub so the flight routing is JFK-PVG-SIN-PVG-JFK
JFK-PVG is about 7370 miles
PVG-SIN is about 2350 miles

The "B" class economy fares gives 150% of miles and you can usually get them for the routes within Asia. So the miles would be 7370*2 + 2350*3 = 21,790

MQD earning is based on a percentage of distance flown and is class dependent.
You used 100% and not 150% so it would be something like 30K MQMs right?
Old Jan 7, 18, 1:30 pm

You used 100% and not 150% so it would be something like 30K MQMs right?
Only the PVG-SIN portion is 150% and in the calculation I multiplied that by 3 so the 150% is taken into account.

If you fly Business class all the way then the entire mileage is 150% earning. Fairly good prices as well.
Old Jan 8, 18, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Sorry for the stupid question but how is cpm calculated?
Old Jan 8, 18, 3:24 pm

The simplest calculation is: (cost of ticket) / (MQM earned)
Old Jan 8, 18, 3:35 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
FYI, just to be clear, Delta complimentary upgrades are only for domestic flights and short-haul international, not long-haul international. You won't be getting any comp upgrades on flights to Europe/Asia, etc.

Second, the companion upgrade policy of treating the companion as the same status only applies if you are booked together on the same PNR. If you are booked separately, there is no way to combine onto one PNR. You can request a companion upgrade for someone on a separate PNR if they are on a revenue ticket (but not an award ticket), but without status they will be ranked after everyone else on the upgrade list.

Last edited by LBJ; Jan 8, 18 at 4:18 pm
Old Jan 8, 18, 4:08 pm

in my posts above, when I use cpm, I am referring to cents per mile. So, ($price)*100/miles.

Search this Thread