Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: Need a DC area run Feb 23 - 25

Old Jan 6, 18, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG / Marriott Gold.

So my wife has asked me to build a run for her and (since she never proactively wants this) I don't want to let this opportunity go to waste. She'll be in DC for work and available for any flights out after 5pm on Friday Feb 23. She has meetings in Baltimore on Monday morning so must get back to the area some time Sunday.

The goal is to maximize EQD and EQM with the absolute minimum absolute dollars spend. No Chinese Visa. We do have AARP membership for the BA deal.
Old Jan 7, 18, 12:06 am

how many miles do you need? 5,000? 10,000? 25,000?
Old Jan 7, 18, 11:39 am
Original Poster

That's the tough part this early in the year. I could easily tell you exactly how short she was from executive platinum last year and how far over platinum pro she landed. I looked and no options fit her schedule from November on. This early just want to bank EQD and EQM. Basically looking for the most cost efficient option (the sweet spot) that fits the jumping off point and timing.

Worst case she has a lot of friends in the district and can enjoy a weekend there. In Feb. Cause that's a thing.

Originally Posted by Gino Troian View Post
how many miles do you need? 5,000? 10,000? 25,000?
Old Jan 8, 18, 1:37 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, AA Plat, SPG/Marriott Plat Premier, Hyatt Explorist
Whats your budget? Generally, the sweet spot in terms of both EQM and EQD together is Premium Economy on partner airlines. Or in some cases a special fare (using AAVacations, for example). The best deals are probably going to be to Asia, but the timing probably wont work for you since most options leave early in the morning from the east coast.

Europe will likely work best timing wise, but the return will not be as good. For example, IAD-BUD can be booked as an AAVacation for ~$650 (cheapest hotel option) with a late night night departure on Fri and return on Sunday. It would be about 7c/eqm and about $0.7/eqdnot horrible but not fantastic either.
Old Jan 8, 18, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

The budget is flexible (in that if moving up in budget gets a much better cost per mile then it's worth it). I was looking at BA premium economy and the best I could find was Istanbul, but LHR to IST books into economy. Is AA Vacation at $650 booking into a premium cabin or economy?

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 View Post
Whats your budget? Generally, the sweet spot in terms of both EQM and EQD together is Premium Economy on partner airlines. Or in some cases a special fare (using AAVacations, for example). The best deals are probably going to be to Asia, but the timing probably wont work for you since most options leave early in the morning from the east coast.

Europe will likely work best timing wise, but the return will not be as good. For example, IAD-BUD can be booked as an AAVacation for ~$650 (cheapest hotel option) with a late night night departure on Fri and return on Sunday. It would be about 7c/eqm and about $0.7/eqdnot horrible but not fantastic either.
Old Jan 8, 18, 9:16 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, AA Plat, SPG/Marriott Plat Premier, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by David Ocamb View Post
The budget is flexible (in that if moving up in budget gets a much better cost per mile then it's worth it). I was looking at BA premium economy and the best I could find was Istanbul, but LHR to IST books into economy. Is AA Vacation at $650 booking into a premium cabin or economy?
It's in economy, operated by BA. It's a special fare (denoted by an * next to the booking class), meaning it earns EQDs at a rate of 10% of miles flown and 1.0 EQMs per mile flown.
AUSINSIGHT likes this.

Search this Thread