Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

2013 Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2013, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Happy New Year to all !!

And a not too bad deal to start it...
C5-C3 for less than 330 € ai and an opportunity to discover 115 islands on the way back
Old Jan 1, 2013, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by FFlyerCDG
Happy New Year to all !!

C5-C3 for less than 330 € ai and an opportunity to discover 115 islands on the way back
I can't make heads or tails of most of what's written on this trick-it thread.
Where can one learn the jargon? tx n hnytyt!!
Old Jan 1, 2013, 8:37 am

Last edited by belfordrocks; Nov 17, 2013 at 5:30 am
Old Jan 1, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: AE, MP, DL, AA, Accor Platinum (But aren't we all?)
This is an excellent deal! I have the airline and I can do:
C5-C3 RT
240 Euros/ $324 a/i.
3X

But as soon as I include the islands, it jacks up the fare. I think maybe my 3X doesn't work for beach and sunshine. Tested OJ/DOJ and no hits. Thanks for posting though! We don't get a lot of ex C5 fares here.

Originally Posted by FFlyerCDG
Happy New Year to all !!
Old Jan 1, 2013, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boboqui
I can't make heads or tails of most of what's written on this trick-it thread.
Where can one learn the jargon? tx n hnytyt!!
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Well to start off each C is a continent. Start with a standard Mercator projection map, then work your way from the top left as if you were reading a book.
To make things slightly easier, Mr. Google can be a better friend than Mr. Mercator on that special question... And lots of other
Was a complete newbie here less than a few months ago !
Old Jan 1, 2013, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SOLTATIO
This is an excellent deal! I have the airline and I can do:
C5-C3 RT 240 Euros/ $324 a/i. 3X
But as soon as I include the islands, it jacks up the fare. I think maybe my 3X doesn't work for beach and sunshine. Tested OJ/DOJ and no hits.
For the 115 islands, we're probably playing with the same 3x BUT the DOJ is important and the OTA essential
Old Jan 1, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: AA PLT, Delta PM
For the LAX-TYO fare, could someone let me know what their best prices are at?
Base Fare should be x2 $68 but my best is still at around the lower $400s ai ever since this specific wording appeared on most of the C1-C3 fares :

END-ON-END
END-ON-END COMBINATIONS PERMITTED. VALIDATE ALL FARE
COMPONENTS. TRAVEL MUST BE VIA THE POINT OF COMBINATION.
SIDE TRIPS PERMITTED.
PROVIDED -
COMBINATIONS ARE FOR CARRIER DL/AF/KL/AZ/OK/AS/QX

Just trying to get an idea if I can do any better on this one
Same problem with the C1-China fares

Edit: Should probably specify I am referring to ST (though obvious from context).

Last edited by kamishiro; Jan 1, 2013 at 1:06 pm
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:31 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by kamishiro
For the LAX-TYO fare, could someone let me know what their best prices are at?
Base Fare should be x2 $68 but my best is still at around the lower $400s ai ever since this specific wording appeared on most of the C1-C3 fares :

END-ON-END
END-ON-END COMBINATIONS PERMITTED. VALIDATE ALL FARE
COMPONENTS. TRAVEL MUST BE VIA THE POINT OF COMBINATION.
SIDE TRIPS PERMITTED.
PROVIDED -
COMBINATIONS ARE FOR CARRIER DL/AF/KL/AZ/OK/AS/QX

Just trying to get an idea if I can do any better on this one
Same problem with the C1-China fares
This doesn't really answer your question, but in my searches, I found that the BF fluctuates depending on the 3X. I've never seen that before. The exact same LAX-TYO-LAX flights have BFs from $68 to $523 depending on the 3X I drop in.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: SkyMiles Diamond, TK Elite, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Silver
Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
This doesn't really answer your question, but in my searches, I found that the BF fluctuates depending on the 3X. I've never seen that before. The exact same LAX-TYO-LAX flights have BFs from $68 to $523 depending on the 3X I drop in.
Yes, if you combine with DL/AF/KL/AZ/OK/AS/QX, you will get T fare (68$). If you combine with another airline, you will get L fare (523$).

So you have to find cheap DL/AF/KL/AZ/OK/AS/QX fare which is combinable with international fare.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by xmurphy
Yes, if you combine with DL/AF/KL/AZ/OK/AS/QX, you will get T fare (68$). If you combine with another airline, you will get L fare (523$).

So you have to find cheap DL/AF/KL/AZ/OK/AS/QX fare which is combinable with international fare.
Interesting. Thanks for the tip.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 6:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Newark to Amsterdam to Copenhagen - Copenhagen to Toronto to La Guardia $ 335.00

Not too bad I think. I have been away for 5 weeks. Maybe better can be had. Mix of Star Alliance Operating Carriers and a 3X. March 2013.

Using an OJ ( no CPH ) I get $ 314.50

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Jan 2, 2013 at 6:01 pm
Old Jan 1, 2013, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA PTL
Is this a trick?

I was sitting at about 36,000 EQMs at the beginning of December, and I was contemplating a MR to get to Platinum, primarily because of the offer by AA for double EQMs through the end of the year.

I suppose that is where greed set in. If I can do one MR to get 14,000, can I do three to get 64,000? The short answer is yes, but I'm not exactly sure if it's a trick of some kind, as it did cause two "major discussions" at the airport.

Here was the plan: SAN-OGG (Maui) for $318 R/T. Do a CFC ($75) to route the trip SAN-DFW-LAX-OGG. That worked. Could not duplicate that on the return flight. End result: 16,862 EQMs.

Next trip: SAN-DFW-MAD, $900. Couldn't do much to enhance that flight, other than on the return I flew MAD-DFW-LAX-SAN. End result: 25,676.

Last trip: SAN-KOA (Kona) for $318 R/T. Desperate at this point for extra EQMs, I called for and received a CFC so the route was SAN-ORD-LAX-KOA. For the return I was able to do a CFC to KOA-LAX-JFK-SAN. End result: 26,794.

In other words, I made it with a few thousand EQMs to spare. I'm now EXP!

Here's the question: On two of the CFC flights, after the deal is done, I've paid my $75, I show up to the ticket counter to pick up my boarding pass (something prevents this from happening online) and I am faced with gate agents (the friendly, helpful kind) that are puzzled by what they see on their computer screens. They understand mileage runs and CFCs, but "the system" will not allow them to issue a boarding pass/ticket. Calls are made, managers arrive, planes are loaded, and everyone is waiting for me to board the plane.

In two instances they never really figured it out, and they told me to board anyway and they'd work on it. In both cases it appears that the mileage credit was awarded correctly.

A long story to get to a simple question: I believe these are legal routes for the flights I made, but I couldn't help but feeling I was getting away with something (flying from LAX-JFK-SAN for $75, for one). Are these legitimate flight changes or are these just chinks in the AA online armor?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 8:17 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=kamishiro;19953329]For the LAX-TYO fare, could someone let me know what their best prices are at?
Base Fare should be x2 $68 but my best is still at around the lower $400s ai ever since this specific wording appeared on most of the C1-C3 fares

Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
Originally Posted by xmurphy
Hi all

BFs of $68, $654 of fat is gone BUT... Cheapest 3x I can find is slightly less than $300
Would be curious if you've been able to find something better...

PM if you want
Old Jan 2, 2013, 8:46 am

Programs: AE, MP, DL, AA, Accor Platinum (But aren't we all?)
I think u have the same problem I had. 3X is great but prices in Z. Franktalk has weighed in and says to look for a better 3X.
Still looking though...
Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:00 am

Last edited by belfordrocks; Nov 17, 2013 at 5:30 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.