Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

2011 Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2011, 6:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by giggy
you didnt miss anything. One of the "dont's" jdoe left out is "don't think out loud" multiple out loud posts with additional chiming in, sometimes makes the big picture appear clearly to the airlines.
Sometimes things stacked in the apple cart are very susceptible to being knocked over. In the beginning the sweetest box of cherries that was on the top shelf got knocked over within 48hrs. In round two, a little fix was added to the vegetable soup and now spoonfuls have N's in them. Hopefully there wont be a round 3 or it may get labeled "poof"
Ok now I'm hungry.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by tc_jedi
The fares on YYZ/YUL-NYC are always insane. This route is quite possibly one of the best uses of miles imaginable. I haven't flown a revenue ticket on these routes in years.
BOS is even worse. It almost makes more sense to get a private limo for BOS-YUL than to pay AC's going rate for their nonstop.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Aegean Air, Cal Alumni (go Bears!)
Originally Posted by gerfe
My first post:

Nice fare C2-North to apple, OJ with maharaji 261€
Any hints for reducing fat 90€ ?
Welcome gerfe.
Cannot answer your question myself but we are glad that you are here. I've been here 6 years but do not know the "maharaji".
Old Dec 30, 2011, 1:26 am
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
another newbie question... hopefully this is OK because it's about the base fare.

How'd you go about finding good base fares (assuming we are not looking to travel to any specific destinations)? There are more than thousands of origin-destination pairs, plus the fares are different on different dates, plus they change often too... Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 1:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by swy
another newbie question... hopefully this is OK because it's about the base fare.

How'd you go about finding good base fares (assuming we are not looking to travel to any specific destinations)? There are more than thousands of origin-destination pairs, plus the fares are different on different dates, plus they change often too... Thanks in advance.
In the good ol' days (until about a week or two ago), you could use FareCompare's Mileage Run search (formerly http://farecompare.com/flyertalk) and do region-based searches to start getting ideas of what you might want to work with.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by x1achilles
Welcome gerfe.
Cannot answer your question myself but we are glad that you are here. I've been here 6 years but do not know the "maharaji".
Sorry, but I am confused now. Read Janetdoe's post #15839 upthread, but not sure, if I understand correct. Does it mean, that I can mention carrier, dates, 3x,OJ without any coding ?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 3:40 am
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
In the good ol' days (until about a week or two ago), you could use FareCompare's Mileage Run search (formerly http://farecompare.com/flyertalk) and do region-based searches to start getting ideas of what you might want to work with.

Thanks! Hopefully they will bring it back...
Old Dec 30, 2011, 7:07 am

Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!
Sorry, but I am confused now. Read Janetdoe's post #15839 upthread, but not sure, if I understand correct. Does it mean, that I can mention carrier, dates, 3x,OJ without any coding ?
Dates and city-pair can be made public (when you are asking a question).

1x / 3x should NOT be made public.

The more you code a question, the less FT'ers and FD'ers can help.

Last edited by perkunas; Dec 30, 2011 at 7:55 am
Old Dec 30, 2011, 8:02 am

C1 east - C2 base fare of 118 each way on *OW for fares in Feb. unlike the *A its for the RT and not just OW.

a friendly old 3x can trim about half the fat. not sure if this is useful for anyone, just PM me for more details if so.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 8:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
BOS is even worse. It almost makes more sense to get a private limo for BOS-YUL than to pay AC's going rate for their nonstop.
Try AC from DC to YUL/YOW/YYZ. The best deal I've got was back in 1997 DCA-YUL-DCA for $297ai.
Since then I've been flying to BUF or BTV if I want to visit Canada.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 8:11 am

YYZ- Many C2 cities $49 base fare one-way. on 9W/SN.. Are these dumpable? Fat is 60%+ of total price.

Not a whiz myself at FDs - so hopefully this will help anyone- especially a low base to C2 from YYZ is harder to come by.

Cheers.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 8:15 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
No!! Unless the airline published the info, you need to code it or handle it by PM. This means any discussion of add-on flights, fare manipulation, booking tricks, etc. needs to be coded.

If you are posting a question about a published fare, or in general posting a question about how you want to go from AAA-BBB (the airlines publish the fact that they fly between cities, and they really hope there are people who want to fly those routes ) there is no need to code.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 8:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, United Gold, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Emerald Club
Lx: Lax-sfo-zrh rt $519.43

LAX-SFO-ZRH-SFO-LAX $519.43

Example:

LAX-SFO US JAN 30
SFO-ZRH LX JAN 30
ZRH-SFO LX FEB 29
SFO-LAX AS FEB 29

bookable on Vayama

Link
http://www.vayama.com/results/index....cb=32999251365
Old Dec 30, 2011, 8:59 am
jmw

Originally Posted by swy
I could find some 3x's that would bring the YQ of LAX-TYO r.t. on OW to $100 (departure date by end of Mar), but the 3x's themselves are all >= $110, bringing the total to $467.60 (only if both flights are on Mon-Thurs). I am wondering if the FD experts here can give this noobie some hints on how to lower the total even more, even something vague would help a lot. I don't think I am flexible enough to use 1x, but I am open to (or even welcome) creative construction. Thanks in advance!
I'm also looking at the same construction with the same prices. Is this the lowest price possible without a double decker or should I keep searching for a better 3x? In the back of my head, I think there's more fat to be trimmed.

Also, any way to add Honolulu, Taipei, or Hong Kong as a real stopover without blowing this up?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 9:11 am

Has anyone else been working on the 24€ base fares from HAM-JFK on AA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.