Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] AF Business Class LAX - LHR $1515

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] AF Business Class LAX - LHR $1515

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum, Oneworld (BA) Sapphire, *A (Aegean) Gold, IHG Spire RA,
Due to a system error, your ticket(s) for travel on Air France in La Première/First Class which was recently purchased has/have to be cancelled and will be fully refunded, consistent with DOT guidelines and policy. We apologize for this inconvenience. An Air France representative will attempt to contact you by phone.

Guess as per DOT guidelines you'll get refunded any fixed costs you made. That's what they say in the email.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Madone59
Per phone call round two: According to Delta 4,000 of these tickets were sold!
In total, or 4,000 were sold on 006 stock alone?

[I thought it would be much higher than this! That's only a "loss" of $80 million, an amount Delta makes in baggage fees every 5 hours ]
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
In total, or 4,000 were sold on 006 stock alone?

[I thought it would be much higher than this! That's only a "loss" of $80 million, an amount Delta makes in baggage fees every 5 hours ]
She didn't say on which ticket stocks. She said "World wide"
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Milage Plus

Every one's ready for the show?

Arrived at SFO for the AF0083 1515 departure PST at 1240.
Went to drop of my two luggages to the counter (yes, back home with a lot of gifts for Xmas)
Agent took my passport and BP.
Time passed and still typing in her computer. Never a good thing when you're already checked in and agent type and type and type.

One good, and one bad news..
Let me start with the bad one : I do get a F ticket that IS confirmed no problem there, but those 4 seats are taken by other PAX (and more profitable one hopefully for AF).
Good news is I got two option offered : wether get DWNGRD to C with 75% refund of the outbound part of my ticket (around 550ishEUR as per agent told me) and 800EUR voucher valid on AF/DL/KL for a year if I accept not to pursue AF with EU law.

Or cancel my itinerary + 800EUR voucher if I accept not to pursue AF with EU law.

Choice has been easy for me as I need to be in Europe before Xmas, flew C.

She told me my seat, 1L, is confirmed on my return, March 10th 2018.

Result : paid 1289ishEUR less around 550EUR (will believe it when I will see it on CC statement tho) and 800EUR voucher.

And still flew C to LHR and possibly F to SFO back.

Called AF Platinum line to see if I can get something more from them for the fact that F was overbooked on my way to LHR.
They couldn't do more than add the miles lost difference between C and F plus 8000 Miles to my FB account, witch is more than what I expected (reads a "no sire you had a nice price we cannot do anything on this one).
I think you can get all of that and ask for more again, so I felt a bite bad afterward. Will probably give those miles to UNICEF or MSF when they will be posted.

Just so you know, from the ETKT I received first (the one I posted showing a fare of 7700ishEUR) and the new one I received yesterday morning, I noticed couples of differences :

Under fare :
Used to be : 7700ishEUR
Now : FORFAIT

Don't know what that means, if some one knows.

Also, look at form of payment :
Used to be : NR + CCCA
Now : CCCA + NR + CA

NR is net fare, CCCA is credit card I think but no clue for CA?

On my booking page on AF.fr site, said I need to call AF if I want to change my flights or CXX.
Was curious so I inquired at AF lounge (was not granted F lounge as I didn't flew F sadly) to change my return to let say Febuary 12-13-14th, 2018 and make GF a nice surprise!

2mins later, he was surprised for Première ETKT but :
NOT changeable nor refundable --> basically you don't fly on March, 10th, you lost your money.

For me that's part of the "deal".
When you book an error fare, as long as you can fly, you can't really ask for more. AKA NH error fare was the same more or less.

Conditions are now stricter than they used to be, but won't complain about that.

As I flew business didn't took any pic. Will post some on my return if I am able to board F this time..!
irishguy28 and palmanfr like this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:04 am

Programs: DL-PM
Got the email, itinerary still intact for the time being. I think when they finally do cancel the ticket I will write Delta and suggest a policy to make a decision and notify customers within 24 hours of booking... Further, I am going to suggest that offering some kind of compromise itinerary in cases like this (downgrade to J). It will most likely fall on deaf ears.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by yutuyu

Went to drop of my two luggages to the counter (yes, back home with a lot of gifts for Xmas)
Time passed and still typing in her computer. Never a good thing when you're already checked in and agent type and type and type.

Let me start with the bad one : I do get a F ticket that IS confirmed no problem there, but those 4 seats are taken by other PAX (and more profitable one hopefully for AF).
Good news is I got two option offered : wether get DWNGRD to C with 75% refund of the outbound part of my ticket (around 550ishEUR as per agent told me) and 800EUR voucher valid on AF/DL/KL for a year if I accept not to pursue AF with EU law.

Or cancel my itinerary + 800EUR voucher if I accept not to pursue AF with EU law.

Choice has been easy for me as I need to be in Europe before Xmas, flew C.

She told me my seat, 1L, is confirmed on my return, March 10th 2018.

Result : paid 1289ishEUR less around 550EUR (will believe it when I will see it on CC statement tho) and 800EUR voucher.

Called AF Platinum line to see if I can get something more from them for the fact that F was overbooked on my way to LHR.
They couldn't do more than add the miles lost difference between C and F plus 8000 Miles to my FB account, witch is more than what I expected (reads a "no sire you had a nice price we cannot do anything on this one).
I think you can get all of that and ask for more again, so I felt a bite bad afterward. Will probably give those miles to UNICEF or MSF when they will be posted.

Just so you know, from the ETKT I received first (the one I posted showing a fare of 7700ishEUR) and the new one I received yesterday morning, I noticed couples of differences :

Under fare :
Used to be : 7700ishEUR
Now : FORFAIT

Don't know what that means, if some one knows.

Also, look at form of payment :
Used to be : NR + CCCA
Now : CCCA + NR + CA

On my booking page on AF.fr site, said I need to call AF if I want to change my flights or CXX.
Was curious so I inquired at AF lounge (was not granted F lounge as I didn't flew F sadly) to change my return to let say Febuary 12-13-14th, 2018 and make GF a nice surprise!

2mins later, he was surprised for Première ETKT but :
NOT changeable nor refundable --> basically you don't fly on March, 10th, you lost your money.

For me that's part of the "deal".
When you book an error fare, as long as you can fly, you can't really ask for more. AKA NH error fare was the same more or less.

Conditions are now stricter than they used to be, but won't complain about that.

As I flew business didn't took any pic. Will post some on my return if I am able to board F this time..!
So lesson is, If you are a high level elite and book for trip right away, you may end up in a better place.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:16 am

My res on orbitz is still intact, can see it on AirFrance website and change seats...nobody called me, no e-mail received. OTA's reservations are probably harder to be cancelled for AF. No doubt they will knock on my door, but it's nice to be one of the latest survivors.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist

Thanks very much yutuyu for the comprehensive report of your experience.
Pretty good result when you wind up not paying anything for the J/F RT.
palmanfr likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat (LT Gold), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
I just got a call from AF and told the same as above. Said that everyone (all 4000 of us) are getting calls. She seemed beat down from the talks.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:25 am

Wait, you had a BP with a seat, came to the airport a bit under 3 hours before, and all 4 F seats "were taken?"

Doesn't make sense unless (i) you didnt actually have an assigned seat, (ii) all other F pax had arrived at the airport before you, (iii) you didn't actually have a confirmed F booking (it was manipulated in the back end at some point between OLCI and airport arrival), and agent was just "yessing" you.

Curiosity, did you happen to see if the 4 F seats were indeed occupied?
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
CA is the code for a Mastercard. VI is Visa, AX is Amex.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by ChurchofTee
I just got a call from AF and told the same as above. Said that everyone (all 4000 of us) are getting calls. She seemed beat down from the talks.
Just like they just don't care calling anymore.
Just received the second email informing about the cancellation. 😔
They just send emails starting with "as discussed..." But nobody ever called me...
Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by SFO777
Thanks very much yutuyu for the comprehensive report of your experience.
Pretty good result when you wind up not paying anything for the J/F RT.
Happy to see that at least a few of us will be able to enjoy something out of this story ! Let us know how it goes in March !
Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:07 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by CDKing
So lesson is, If you are a high level elite and book for trip right away, you may end up in a better place.
Not as simple as that... I think the primary reason he was able to make this work for him is that he called AF after booking and they manually (most likely incorrectly) reticketed his trip.

Yes, booking a flight the following day helped as that gave them very little time to catch and correct the issue.

Status had very little to do with his luck. There are plenty of other Platinums who had their tickets cancelled.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:20 am

Still I don't understand why AF realized they published this promo fare only after selling 4000 tickets (or more)...looks like airlines are running their business like a family run business.
Considering there are 2 flights/day from LAX and 2 from SFO, with 9 seats in first class on each flight, it means they filled their first class seats for 111 days before understanding their mistake...Correct me if I am wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.