Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] AF Business Class LAX - LHR $1515

[PREM FARE GONE] AF Business Class LAX - LHR $1515

Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by FrankTalk
Except it wasn't $248, it was $1500. This is what the customers were charged so this is what it cost.
Originally Posted by flying_donkeys12

You are absolutely correct. I and others were charged $1500. I take it back now. AF should totally honor those $8,000- $20,000 fares now since we paid $1500.
Originally Posted by Madone59
Basic economics ^
Base fare + Airline initiated Surcharge (Which is technically part of the fare) + taxes/fees.

Seems reasonable for a J fare, I've had J fares on BA for around that price (I know, yes fare was available for both F & J)
355F1 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by iAmJacksFlyerTalk
I knew how this story would end when the rep said he'll contact Air France and get down to the bottom of it.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Mine cancelled in the last 30 minutes (~25 hours after booking). Was booked on airfrance.co.uk and had been showing up on AF, klm, saudia until just now. So I guess they are not done with cancellations just yet (was hoping I slipped through the cracks, wishful thinking of course).
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:54 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Really disappointing that they aren't offering any alternatives other than calling to say the ticket was cancelled.

Then again its AF the company where they treat their employees so badly that results in management getting assaulted by their own employees.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by invalyd
I knew how this story would end when the rep said he'll contact Air France and get down to the bottom of it.
There was a reason the Delta rep got off that call.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: A3*G, HH Gold
So, booked thru DL as well and finally decided to cancel my ticket by myself. As a note saying something like "FARE CALCULATION ERROR" had been placed in my reservation (saw it on Amadeus eItin), I knew I was not flying under the radar and tbh I give AF a 0.0% chance to let you fly in F, even if you get it through with DL and show up at the airport holding an F boarding pass (maybe expect from the user who got his ticket manually changed to the normal retail price). Being downgraded to receive a 75% refund flying Y or Y+? No thanks. Even if they let me fly in C, 650$ for OW to LHR, then position back to where I live plus a OW to LAX from Europe would not be a good deal in my opinion.

Will stay tuned to what will happen and wishing everyone good luck, but jumping ship now.
yutuyu likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:58 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by FrankTalk
Except it wasn't $248, it was $1500. This is what the customers were charged so this is what it cost.
Yep.

and $1500 J fares happen way too often for this to be considered a "mistake" fare.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Air France CS literally bait n' switched the DL CS rep. I genuinely think he was told and believed that AF was going to "make it right" and the second he hung up, they reverted to stock answers.
What you describe is not "bait n' switch" (a term I only ever see on these boards! Lol! along with the even more curious, and FT-error-fare-thread-specific phrase "in tact" ) but "Good Cop, Bad Cop".

You rang up to confess your "crime" ("Amazing fare. Didn't think it was possible", to the first guy), matching the good cop with your own good self, then switching tack completely (""So it's my fault I booked this?") to match bad cop

josephstern likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:00 am

Honestly, the amount of FT-ers that defend various airlines during these mistake fare fiascos is pretty amusing to me.

In any other line of business, it would be considered a criminal act if you fairly and legally purchased something at a register, paid the price you were asked to pay, and walked out with the product, only to have the seller sneak into your home in the middle of the night and steal it back because the corporation "realized the price was too low" later on. "Hey, but don't worry, we refunded your credit card. You'll see it back on your statement in 4 to 6 weeks."

The window of this error was enormous. Many flights, nearly every day, from 12/20 through Nov '18. For every 100 "deal-hunting, FT-ing, pieces of riff raff" trying to lock this down, I'm sure there were a few genuine travelers just trying to book passage from a major California hub to LHR. These people don't have average airline fare pricing schemes memorized. They don't know what "La Premiere" is. That could be French for "hella sweet economy" for all they know. $1500 round trip isn't unheard of for economy or premium economy, and I'm sure many consolidators advertised this fare as "best available" and people just proceeded through check-out without thinking twice.

I'm a deal-hunting, FT-ing, piece of riff raff just trying to get mine – but seriously, this is probably going to screw over quite a few genuine travelers who are booking other pieces of travel yesterday and today, knowing none the wiser.

But hey - they were polite!
Madone59 and palmanfr like this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In any other line of business, it would be considered a criminal act if you fairly and legally purchased something at a register, paid the price you were asked to pay, and walked out with the product, only to have the seller sneak into your home in the middle of the night and steal it back because the corporation "realized the price was too low" later on. "Hey, but don't worry, we refunded your credit card. You'll see it back on your statement in 4 to 6 weeks."
to make that analogy work, you really would have had to have interacted with a cashier - i.e. ring the airline reservation desk to book your ticket(s).

But - guess what? The first rule of booking this type of "special deal" is not to call the airline....
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
to make that analogy work, you really would have had to have interacted with a cashier - i.e. ring the airline reservation desk to book your ticket(s).
So any price stated online is unceasingly subject to change because an actual human didn't oversee the transaction? It's nearly 2018. We use our phones and computers to buy everything now, sans humans. Very slippery slope thinking.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:12 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Lets say if the analogy was Amazon or an online retailer?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: DL-PM
Originally Posted by golfingboy
I'm not sure about Amazon or some others, but in the sports world many resale sites have clauses that state if the price is mis-entered (50 vs 500) or is clearly an error they reserve the right to reverse the transaction. Stubhub, I don't believe has this, but other re-sellers do. That is the only online exchange I could think of that would be similar, but the main difference is that you are usually buying from another individual.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by golfingboy
Amazon allows cancellations for pricing errors.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
So did anyone get these discounted fares or did AF cancel all of them?

I checked yesterday afternoon for SFO to LHR and CDG in March and April and saw nothing like the price claimed on AF site.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.