Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] AF Business Class LAX - LHR $1515

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] AF Business Class LAX - LHR $1515

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Madone59
Did anyone else purchase with AMEX? I put this on a plat card - think I could sic them on AF??
And have them do what exactly? Threaten to dissolve their merchant services agreement on account of the fact that you think AF made a boo-boo by cancelling what was very obviously a mistakenly-filed fare?

Practically, the answer is no. Whether you try to go the extra mile on this fare, be it with DoT, Court, EU 261, it will not involve AmEx. Feel free to dispute the charge if your ticketing agent doesn't refund, whether that is AF, Priceline, whomever, but that's gonna be the extent of it.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Madone59
Did anyone else purchase with AMEX? I put this on a plat card - think I could sic them on AF??
i also booked with AMEX plat, but don't really anticipate getting them involved unless the refund to my card is not prompt. currently, my charges are still pending.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by thexfactor
And have them do what exactly? Threaten to dissolve their merchant services agreement on account of the fact that you think AF made a boo-boo by cancelling what was very obviously a mistakenly-filed fare?

Practically, the answer is no. Whether you try to go the extra mile on this fare, be it with DoT, Court, EU 261, it will not involve AmEx. Feel free to dispute the charge if your ticketing agent doesn't refund, whether that is AF, Priceline, whomever, but that's gonna be the extent of it.
It was just a thought - I never claimed it had merit.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:42 am

I was also just called from a Dutch Number & spoke to a pleasant enough guy who, based on accent/English fluency, was possibly in a call centre on the subcontinent. He informed me both my bookings were cancelled (1 via. Air France, 1 via. Orbitz). I tried to get into a brief discussion but he was insistent he was from the "communications team" & I would have to call Air France CS number to escalate. Suspect they may have outsourced the notification process which is fair enough if it expedites it. Shame it didn't stick but with the proliferation of blogs & Twitter etc. then the numbers jumping on a "Special Fare" make it almost impossible for airlines not to back out
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Cool

Originally Posted by Colin
business class, and drop the LHR segments. that I would do for $1500 roundtrip nonstop to Paris.

oh well, at least I made 50 bucks on it from TopCashBack
That would be an ideal outcome. If I get a call, and I am highly doubtful I will. I plan on being very nice and being very coy. Maybe throw in a feel good story for why I was buying these tickets and see what they come back with. Most likely a dial tone.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:45 am

my LAX-CDG-LHR ticket (booked via AF) is still active. Yesterday some seats were taken in the A380 now if I check the seatmap there is just mine still blocked... all other 8 seats are not assigned...

I have a question about the DOT regulations regarding the no-ref items. Actually it was really the last missing piece - Last week I already booked Royal Jordanian o/w FRA-AMM-BKK in C and Singapore Airlines BKK-SIN-LAX in C as well. so LAX-Europe was the last step in my planned itinerary... Isn't that something to talk about ?! thx from Germany

Last edited by maarquee; Dec 20, 2017 at 9:57 am
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: M&M
Originally Posted by flying_donkeys12
they could get an $8,000 plus ticket for the price of $248 ( this was the fare before taxes bringing it to $1500)
Except it wasn't $248, it was $1500. This is what the customers were charged so this is what it cost.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Talking

Originally Posted by FrankTalk
Except it wasn't $248, it was $1500. This is what the customers were charged so this is what it cost.
You are absolutely correct. I and others were charged $1500. I take it back now. AF should totally honor those $8,000- $20,000 fares now since we paid $1500.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the off chance that these Delta ones stick, do people have recommendations for the best seats on the A380? I'm on that both ways, theoretically.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FrankTalk
Basic economics ^
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by josephstern
On the off chance that these Delta ones stick, do people have recommendations for the best seats on the A380? I'm on that both ways, theoretically.
Whichever (premium) economy class seat that they will direct you to onboard is the best seat you will get with this ticket....
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP,SPG 75
Slightly OT, but would any points generated by credit cards on the purchase of this (or any others) error fare be negated too due to the refund? Maybe the points would be collected if the refund happened after your statement closing.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YouGeeElWhy
Slightly OT, but would any points generated by credit cards on the purchase of this (or any others) error fare be negated too due to the refund? Maybe the points would be collected if the refund happened after your statement closing.
Statement closing has nothing to do with points getting or not getting reversed for refunds.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by YouGeeElWhy
If the transaction is reversed, your points will either be decremented, or additional points will be witheld until such time as the total of new transactions has exceeded that refund amount.

(there would be no need for "Manufactured Spending" if you could just earn and keep miles/points each time you made a fully-refundable puchase, and then return the item for a full refund to your card without having to surrender the points/miles, only to do the same thing over and over and over...)
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:33 am

Just called DL CS. Fully intended to call AF CS, but every North American line for them connects you with Delta.

I conceded this fact to the rep, who insisted he could help me. He was very patient and understanding with my story: "Amazing fare. Didn't think it was possible. Checked out. Got confirmation. Received e-ticket numbers, made other travel reservations, etc". He was totally on board with what I was putting down. He responded positively with, "It was ticketed. You had the equivalent of a ticket in your hand. I'm going to contact Air France and get down to the bottom of this."

Long, long hold time.

Came back on and said, "I'm on with someone with Air France. This is a known issue, but given your situation, they're going to work with you. Give me just a few more minutes."

Back to hold, briefly.

DL CS: "Okay, I'm on with an Air France. She understands your situation and is going to work with you and make things right. Thanks for calling Delta, I'm going to hang up now."

Me: "Wow, okay, thank you so much."

AF CS: "Hello Mr. Passenger, I see you had a ticket booked, but unfortunately, we cannot ever honor this fare. It is impossible to do so."

Me: "So, what am I to do if I need to travel and booked other travel surrounding this itinerary?"

AF CS: "I can help you find fares for your date of travel."

Me: "So your offer to make things right is to find me a totally different ticket in (presumably) a totally different class of a service at a (presumably) much higher price?"

AF CS: "Air France is working to contact everyone who purchases these mistake fares. Obviously it cannot be honored, a Premiere ticket is usually $10,000, not $600."

Me: "So it's my fault I booked this? I am obligated as a consumer to be familiar with your pricing structure and smell out something fishy when booking travel on your first party booking website?"

AF CS: "Again, I am sorry sir, this fare is void now, have a nice day."

Air France CS literally bait n' switched the DL CS rep. I genuinely think he was told and believed that AF was going to "make it right" and the second he hung up, they reverted to stock answers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.