FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   [PREM FARE GONE] AF Business Class LAX - LHR $1515 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/1883560-prem-fare-gone-af-business-class-lax-lhr-1515-a.html)

palmanfr Jan 3, 2018 3:00 am

The refund finally and magically showed up this morning on my Amex account for both reservations. Although I lost 50€ in the process due to currency exchange fluctuations between EUR and USD...

irishguy28 Jan 3, 2018 3:12 am

Originally Posted by palmanfr (Post 29243502)
The refund finally and magically showed up this morning on my Amex account for both reservations. Although I lost 50€ in the process due to currency exchange fluctuations between EUR and USD...

Same here. Except I paid in Euros and was refunded €30 less than they took on 19 December.

thibderoc Jan 3, 2018 5:32 am

Refund also showed up this morning (wasn't there on 12/29) but the transaction date was set to 12/26.

However, 10 euros for service charge weren't refunded (5 euros per ticket) so I called again and they said they will take care of that.

I asked for a compensation : I can understand the cancellation but not the "24/48h refund" that took 10 days and wasn't fully refunded...

sgan317 Jan 3, 2018 6:08 am

Originally Posted by palmanfr (Post 29243502)

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 29243526)
Same here. Except I paid in Euros and was refunded €30 less than they took on 19 December.

This is where the DOT can step in to make you whole. I would contact the airline and let them know. If they refuse to refund the difference, file a complaint.

irishguy28 Jan 3, 2018 7:46 am

DoT requires you to give the airline a chance to rectify their mistake.

And they responded almost immediately.

danfl44 Jan 3, 2018 9:34 am

Still no refund here, though I got an email which confirmed a refund without the booking costs of 10 euro.
I asked them to refund the booking costs as well, haven't got an answer yet. Takes a solid bit of time this whole process..

TWA884 Jan 3, 2018 9:46 am

I was never charged. All that is shown are two "pending" charges - one for $1 and one for $636.61, the actual fare.

Craig6z Jan 3, 2018 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 29244776)
I was never charged. All that is shown are two "pending" charges - one for $1 and one for $636.61, the actual fare.

Same experience, although the large charge was for a roundtrip, so was just over $1,500. Took about six days before the pending charges disappeared. Believe I used a DL Amex card.

TWA884 Jan 3, 2018 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Craig6z (Post 29246576)
Same experience, although the large charge was for a roundtrip, so was just over $1,500. Took about six days before the pending charges disappeared. Believe I used a DL Amex card.

Mine still show as pending when I check the current month's transactions of my Citi AAdvantage Executive MasterCard.

palmanfr Jan 4, 2018 4:33 am

I received a nice email from the DOT stating that this case falls under the department rules based on the information I provided and will enter into their monthly stats and reports.
I can only encourage people who did not receive their refund on time or lost money in the process to file a claim to the DOT, in case the airline does not provide a satisfactory reply. That way, the rules will maybe change...
Looks like in that regard, and based on what I read, refunds for DL issued tickets got handled much better than for AF.
On the other hand I received a reply from AF customer care NL following the email I sent on the 21st of December. They said that I should contact AF reservations US to get more details on my cancellation. I call that an email for nothing 😀

Repooc17 Jan 5, 2018 6:32 am

Originally Posted by thibderoc (Post 29243821)
I asked for a compensation

Other than the service charge, you have been made whole, correct?

Good luck.

thibderoc Jan 5, 2018 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 29253091)
Other than the service charge, you have been made whole, correct?

Good luck.

Yes. As I paid in euros, the refund was exactly the original price minus 5 euros (and service charge is 5 euros on the ticket).

SFO777 Jan 5, 2018 1:42 pm

I bought a number of these, mostly direct with AF, but one roundtrip for Mrs. SFO777 and me with Amex. All refunds are complete but I got this interesting VM message tonight from Amex advising that AF has agree to give me a $1,000 voucher for future travel. From my Amex Travel counsellor "... I'm just reaching out to you in regards to that recent issue with the Air France tickets. It seems that with our negotiations with Air France they have agreed to compensate you for the problem and so they are going to be issuing a $1000 future travel voucher for you to use. You have a two year to use that I will need from you though if you wouldn't mind please giving me a call back..." Way to go Amex.

^

PV_Premier Jan 5, 2018 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777 (Post 29254903)
I bought a number of these, mostly direct with AF, but one roundtrip for Mrs. SFO777 and me with Amex. All refunds are complete but I got this interesting VM message tonight from Amex advising that AF has agree to give me a $1,000 voucher for future travel. From my Amex Travel counsellor "... I'm just reaching out to you in regards to that recent issue with the Air France tickets. It seems that with our negotiations with Air France they have agreed to compensate you for the problem and so they are going to be issuing a $1000 future travel voucher for you to use. You have a two year to use that I will need from you though if you wouldn't mind please giving me a call back..." Way to go Amex.

^

I was already regretting not trying to book with AMEX and now I regret it even more! Nice work! ^

With my charges they never actually posted and the holds dropped off after about 10 days I guess. I paid for 2 tickets on one PNR with a Plat AMEX. Sorry for those who have had a lot of trouble to get refunds :(

KL808 Jan 5, 2018 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777 (Post 29254903)

^

Got the same call today!!!

THANK YOU AMEX