FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   [PREM FARE GONE] AF Business Class LAX - LHR $1515 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/1883560-prem-fare-gone-af-business-class-lax-lhr-1515-a.html)

irishguy28 Dec 21, 2017 8:22 am

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 29200885)
So lesson is, If you are a high level elite and book for trip right away, you may end up in a better place.

The only reason that person got to travel was because they managed to get the ticket re-issued.

It was more fluke than strategy.

Captain Canuck Dec 21, 2017 8:30 am

Originally Posted by yutuyu (Post 29200866)
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...27202f275d.jpg
Every one's ready for the show?

Arrived at SFO for the AF0083 1515 departure PST at 1240.
Went to drop of my two luggages to the counter (yes, back home with a lot of gifts for Xmas)
Agent took my passport and BP.
Time passed and still typing in her computer. Never a good thing when you're already checked in and agent type and type and type.

One good, and one bad news..
Let me start with the bad one : I do get a F ticket that IS confirmed no problem there, but those 4 seats are taken by other PAX (and more profitable one hopefully for AF).
Good news is I got two option offered : wether get DWNGRD to C with 75% refund of the outbound part of my ticket (around 550ishEUR as per agent told me) and 800EUR voucher valid on AF/DL/KL for a year if I accept not to pursue AF with EU law.

Or cancel my itinerary + 800EUR voucher if I accept not to pursue AF with EU law.

Choice has been easy for me as I need to be in Europe before Xmas, flew C.

She told me my seat, 1L, is confirmed on my return, March 10th 2018.

Result : paid 1289ishEUR less around 550EUR (will believe it when I will see it on CC statement tho) and 800EUR voucher.

And still flew C to LHR and possibly F to SFO back.

Called AF Platinum line to see if I can get something more from them for the fact that F was overbooked on my way to LHR.
They couldn't do more than add the miles lost difference between C and F plus 8000 Miles to my FB account, witch is more than what I expected (reads a "no sire you had a nice price we cannot do anything on this one).
I think you can get all of that and ask for more again, so I felt a bite bad afterward. Will probably give those miles to UNICEF or MSF when they will be posted.

Just so you know, from the ETKT I received first (the one I posted showing a fare of 7700ishEUR) and the new one I received yesterday morning, I noticed couples of differences :

Under fare :
Used to be : 7700ishEUR
Now : FORFAIT

Don't know what that means, if some one knows.

Also, look at form of payment :
Used to be : NR + CCCA
Now : CCCA + NR + CA

NR is net fare, CCCA is credit card I think but no clue for CA?

On my booking page on AF.fr site, said I need to call AF if I want to change my flights or CXX.
Was curious so I inquired at AF lounge (was not granted F lounge as I didn't flew F sadly) to change my return to let say Febuary 12-13-14th, 2018 and make GF a nice surprise!

2mins later, he was surprised for Première ETKT but :
NOT changeable nor refundable --> basically you don't fly on March, 10th, you lost your money.

For me that's part of the "deal".
When you book an error fare, as long as you can fly, you can't really ask for more. AKA NH error fare was the same more or less.

Conditions are now stricter than they used to be, but won't complain about that.

As I flew business didn't took any pic. Will post some on my return if I am able to board F this time..!

Glad to see that you made it through and were well taken care of here - we shall live vicariously through you on this one :)

In regards to your query into the new fare code "Forfait" - en francais ca veut dire "crime" en anglais - it may just be a coincidence that they used that word, or our friends (term used very loosely) at Air france believe you have committed a crime by being able to take advantage of the fare that they offered you on this particular journey.

Please raise a glass of the best Champagne they have onboard to all of us other FT members on your return trip and Happy Holidays.

CC

CDKing Dec 21, 2017 8:31 am

Originally Posted by golfingboy (Post 29201077)

Not as simple as that... I think the primary reason he was able to make this work for him is that he called AF after booking and they manually (most likely incorrectly) reticketed his trip.

Yes, booking a flight the following day helped as that gave them very little time to catch and correct the issue.

Status had very little to do with his luck. There are plenty of other Platinums who had their tickets cancelled.

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 29201127)
The only reason that person got to travel was because they managed to get the ticket re-issued.

It was more fluke than strategy.

I assumed that if he was a general member the supervisor when his ticket was first reisued would have told him to pound sand

PV_Premier Dec 21, 2017 8:34 am

I finally got an email at 5:45 PST this morning and a phone call about 90 minutes later. I didn't say much of anything to the rep, who was from France and spoke less-than-perfect English. I was in the car and nothing I was going to say was gonna change the outcome so I more or less just said OK and hung up.

I will be watching closely on the timing of a refund, if it drags out an hour beyond the 7 day mandate, they'll be dealing with a DOT complaint from me.

As I have thought about this more, I think a nice improvement to the regulations could be that if airlines are protected from error fares/post purchase price increases without any real repercussions, consumers should be offered post-purchase flight decrease protection. AS already does this in a way, allowing you to claim a best fare guarantee. Other airlines will do it too, but against a change fee.

I'd be a lot less annoyed right now if I knew that if/when the ticket to MI that I just paid over $600 on DL drops to a lower level, I could get a credit back (even if that credit was funny money).

Tafflyer Dec 21, 2017 8:54 am

Well I have absolutely zero status on SkyTeam and still got personally called and advised of the cancellation. I got the same story about 4000 tickets having been issued and that if it were just a few they would have honoured them, but sadly blah blah blah. I do think it was a nice touch however and adds a human aspect to it. My only previously booked mistake fare was from BA and that was very poorly handled in comparison.

angra Dec 21, 2017 9:04 am

no call, no email for me :).

PV_Premier Dec 21, 2017 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Captain Canuck (Post 29201152)
Glad to see that you made it through and were well taken care of here - we shall live vicariously through you on this one :)

In regards to your query into the new fare code "Forfait" - en francais ca veut dire "crime" en anglais - it may just be a coincidence that they used that word, or our friends (term used very loosely) at Air france believe you have committed a crime by being able to take advantage of the fare that they offered you on this particular journey.

Please raise a glass of the best Champagne they have onboard to all of us other FT members on your return trip and Happy Holidays.

CC

isn't another translation of "forfait" something along the lines of "fixed rate" or "fixed pass"?

useyourname Dec 21, 2017 9:13 am

Did anyone try to switch out a refund for miles? i.e. attempt to get miles at a discount for the ticket price?

I know someone who had booked tickets, and was able to get cash vouchers for the cancellations.

palmanfr Dec 21, 2017 9:22 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier (Post 29201303)
isn't another translation of "forfait" something along the lines of "fixed rate" or "fixed pass"?

Yes it is indeed and I think that is the meaning here. But the translation of Captain Canuck is funnier considering the situation !

SEA-Flyer Dec 21, 2017 9:23 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier (Post 29201303)

Yes, this (flat rate) is the more common usage.

palmanfr Dec 21, 2017 9:24 am

Originally Posted by useyourname (Post 29201331)
Did anyone try to switch out a refund for miles? i.e. attempt to get miles at a discount for the ticket price?

I know someone who had booked tickets, and was able to get cash vouchers for the cancellations.

Was the departure within the next 14 days ? If that's the case it could be the regular EU261/2004 compensation which was applied.

useyourname Dec 21, 2017 9:33 am

I believe it was actually for August 2018

KL808 Dec 21, 2017 9:43 am

Delete post

hamburglar Dec 21, 2017 9:45 am

Just got this email:

Dear Customer,

Due to a system error, your ticket/s for travel on Air France in La Première/First Class which was recently purchased has/have to be cancelled and will be fully refunded, consistent with DOT guidelines and policy.

We apologize for this inconvenience.

An Air France representative will attempt to contact you by phone.

If you have any questions in the meantime, Please feel free to contact Air France.com websupport at 1-800-992-3932 to help you in this matter.

We thank you for your understanding and wish you a pleasant day ahead.

TWA884 Dec 21, 2017 9:53 am

Originally Posted by hamburglar (Post 29201453)
Just got this email:

Dear Customer,

Due to a system error, your ticket/s for travel on Air France in La Première/First Class which was recently purchased has/have to be cancelled and will be fully refunded, consistent with DOT guidelines and policy.

We apologize for this inconvenience.

An Air France representative will attempt to contact you by phone.

If you have any questions in the meantime, Please feel free to contact Air France.com websupport at 1-800-992-3932 to help you in this matter.

We thank you for your understanding and wish you a pleasant day ahead.

Same here. It came at 8:44 am PST. The sender is "KLM Customer Service Desk" and the subject line is: "Update on your recent Air France ticket purchase."