Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] Aeromexico US-SCL J $1,000(ish)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] Aeromexico US-SCL J $1,000(ish)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I canceled one of the tickets that I booked on this fare, and while I know it is non-refundable, does anyone know the process to go about recouping the taxes that were part of the fare. Many people have told me that I can get the $90 in taxes back, but Aeromexico claims that I cannot. Has anyone done that in the past and have any recommendations?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Starting April 1st, it looks like these tickets will only earn 150% MQM instead of 200% on DL, based on a (recent?) change to the AM partner earning chart: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-partners.html

I'm not super happy about this, half of my trip is before April 1st and half of it is after. Has anyone ever had luck in getting DL to apply the 'old' chart in cases like this?

I started a thread on it in the DL forum: Sudden Change in Aeromexico Earnings?

Last edited by manacit; Mar 27, 2018 at 11:21 am
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Thanks for the heads up. I have 2 trips purchased before this change but flying after the change goes in effect. Big impact for me! I'd like to know if I can get the mileage as of when I booked.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 1:42 pm

my 1st trip AM trip is not til early May. Will monitor here to see what folks report (and will update also my experience) Am bit bummed its lower MQM, but what I was really looking for was MQD and at least that didn't change, but certainly would like to get the "lost" MQM's based on what was known/announced back when purchased in mid Dec 2017. At least for the C, D, I fare classes, it seems that MQD and RDM didn't change but MQM did drop (honestly) more inline to what other partners are, I believe.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 11:35 pm

Programs: DL GM
My AM408 on 5/13 changed to a 737
Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:04 am

Seeings how the original note was put in this thread, and in case someone missed the later update from SkyMiles FT account, you CAN submit a Mileage Request form when travel is completed. See details here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29580738-post30.html

Originally Posted by manacit
Starting April 1st, it looks like these tickets will only earn 150% MQM instead of 200% on DL, based on a (recent?) change to the AM partner earning chart: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-partners.html

I'm not super happy about this, half of my trip is before April 1st and half of it is after. Has anyone ever had luck in getting DL to apply the 'old' chart in cases like this?

I started a thread on it in the DL forum: Sudden Change in Aeromexico Earnings?
Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:58 am

DL will apparently honor the original earnings, if a request is made:

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...ing-attention/
Old Mar 30, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
A seat question. I've got one booked with the MEX-SCL-MEX segments in J, on a 787-8 with a 2 hour turn. I was planning to sleep on most of the SCL-MEX leg. I've heard that the seats are pretty miserable. I was thinking of bringing a self-inflating camping mattress (which fits in my carry on) and was wondering about others experiences.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: DL plat
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
A seat question. I've got one booked with the MEX-SCL-MEX segments in J, on a 787-8 with a 2 hour turn. I was planning to sleep on most of the SCL-MEX leg. I've heard that the seats are pretty miserable. I was thinking of bringing a self-inflating camping mattress (which fits in my carry on) and was wondering about others experiences.
The seats are fine. It's not the ritz but you'll be able to get a few hours of shut eye

Last edited by Pat89339; Mar 30, 2018 at 10:07 pm Reason: TOS 12 and 16
Old Mar 30, 2018, 9:06 pm

@SuperG1955, I have flown AM 787-8's twice (MEX-BUE-MEX) about 18 months ago and actually found them fine. While the layout is not the greatest for a single traveler if you want direct Aisle (need to get middle row), its still decent I thought. I wouldn't classify as miserable, but everyone judges different and are different sizes, and such. But then again I don't have all that much issue with the 767's DL uses for D1, but then again they do have smaller footwells. I still find any of these better than in the back. Certainly not 747 UD or even A330 but still decent. I plan to do the same as you and sleep on this quick MR, its not until early May, so if you go before, share what you think and what you did here if you can.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
rizrizriz, thanks for the feedback. I'll be flying in June so you'll do the trip before me and I'll appreciate any further feedback.

I booked center seats for aisle access. I have no trouble with 764/763 seats. I fly them in J at least a dozen times a year, TATL. MidCON, and TCON. Actually, my wife and I prefer them since we can chat if we want to.

I had read that the AM 787-8 J seats were very hard, and as a side sleeper, extra cushioning is a real benefit, especially with 16 out of 18 hours in the seats. I'll look forward to hearing what you find.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by rizrizriz
... I plan to do the same as you and sleep on this quick MR, its not until early May, so if you go before, share what you think and what you did here if you can.
Check your PM's
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:17 am

Yea, I am less a side sleeper since I tweeked my back several years ago, but would say that I would not find any seats comfortable sleeping on side. Lucky I have adjusted to back sleeping so maybe thats why I notice less difference. But having been on VS & AM 787, (8 vs 9) the layout was better in VS, but the seat comfort I didn't find shockingly different. Will try to pay more attention on this upcoming trip
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
rizrizriz, thanks for the feedback. I'll be flying in June so you'll do the trip before me and I'll appreciate any further feedback.

I booked center seats for aisle access. I have no trouble with 764/763 seats. I fly them in J at least a dozen times a year, TATL. MidCON, and TCON. Actually, my wife and I prefer them since we can chat if we want to.

I had read that the AM 787-8 J seats were very hard, and as a side sleeper, extra cushioning is a real benefit, especially with 16 out of 18 hours in the seats. I'll look forward to hearing what you find.
I’m in air on the last leg of a LGA-MCO-MEX-SCL-MEX-MCO-LGA run and I have pretty much nothing but good things to say about the MEX-SCL-MEX legs on the 788. The first row middle seats definitely seemed to have a bigger footwell if that’s important to you - I am 6ft 3in had no problem, but YMMV.

On the way down I never fully reclined as it was a day trip, but I found the product to be perfectly acceptable - I would echo an earlier poster that meal times and cabin lighting were a bit odd, but I found the meals to be perfectly good, probably a small notch below domestic D1. I was a bit annoyed that they had the cabin lights completely off and windows dimmed for most of the daytime flight, but it wasn’t a huge deal.

I would highly recommend choosing a seat in the middle - even if you are flying with a companion, it requires some gymnastics to get out of the window seat when someone is reclined. The cabin was not full on either flight, so you should have no problem bouncing around if you want a window seat with nobody next to you.

On the way up, I got a solid 5-6 hours of sleep, which is awesome! I am a side sleeper and I found the seat to be perfectly comfortable - the blanket provided was great, and the pillow worked well enough in concert with the headrest. Cabin temperature was great, and the FAs did a great job of not creating a lot of noise in the cabin. Ultimately, I would have probably slept completely though most of the flight if there hadn’t been some turbulence, but nothing to be done about that.

The only disappointing meal was breakfast before landing in MEX on the way back - the omelette was super bland, I would recommend going for the ‘continental’ breakfast. Funnily enough, I was served a WONDERFUL omelette on the MEX-MCO leg a couple of hours later, with a great salsa and beans/cheese to go along. I would just skip it and get the extra hour of sleep if I had to do it again.

Ultimately, the ~15 year old 737 on the way back to MCO was the only time I was disappointed in the hard product - broken seats, no power plugs, no seatback IFE, etc.

Let me know if you want any specifics, happy to share recommendations!

Last edited by manacit; Apr 9, 2018 at 2:44 pm
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
manacit, don't forget that unless you booked a full J fare, you'll need to do some extra work to get 200% MQM instead of 150%

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.