Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] Aeromexico US-SCL J $1,000(ish)

[PREM FARE GONE] Aeromexico US-SCL J $1,000(ish)

Old Dec 16, 2017, 7:37 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by dburns
In my case, I already have 3+ weeks of vacation time planned for 2018. The ability to leave Friday after work, be back early afternoon Sunday (thus needing no additional time off work), earn 21,000+ MQM/RDM and 4,000+ MQDs makes the same day turn in SCL very appealing

Thanks again OP!
Can someone explain how this $1000 fare is earning $4,000+ MQD?

I am seeing 40% MQD earning on Aeromexico so wouldn't that mean $400 MQD?
Old Dec 16, 2017, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by A4K
Can someone explain how this $1000 fare is earning $4,000+ MQD?

I am seeing 40% MQD earning on Aeromexico so wouldn't that mean $400 MQD?
It is based on 40% of miles flown
Old Dec 16, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by shustedm

It is based on 40% of miles flown
Thank you I was also wondering the same thing.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: LATAM Black; AA EXP
Originally Posted by vincewy
Why would anyone want to do quick turnaround at SCL? There's so much to do/see, why not spend another 2-3 days, consider it as extended weekend. I even regretted not booking 1-2 day stopover in MEX initially (never mind, stopover not allowed as I booked MCO-SCL too and will decide which to keep).

In addition, unlike Europe and Asia, regional flights are very expensive in Latin America, therefore JFK-SCL at $1100 <> JFK-EZE at $1100 if you actually want to go to SCL or vice versa. AV and CM have JFK-MVD going for around $1050, adding regional MVD-SCL will surprise you (cost wise).

Speaking of overnight layover at MEX, advice on where to go/see for 14-16 hours besides staying inside airport hotels?
Things are quickly changing in the region.. you can now book one way domestic segments in chile for extremely cheap prices.. also regional destinations flown by Sky or new comer jetSmart (part of the indigo group) are surprisingly affordable too.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
For those with a layover in MEX, any suggestions on cheap hotel close to the airport bookable with points or even cash if cheap enough. Trying to minimize taxi expenses if possible.
Also, the AM lounges are just the worst, does anyone know if the Chase Sapphire Reserve or Citi Prestige get lounge access (AM lounges are Priority Pass, but no other options in the terminal for that). Wasn't sure if there are any credit card-affiliated lounges that Citi Prestige or CSR can use.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
For those with a layover in MEX, any suggestions on cheap hotel close to the airport bookable with points or even cash if cheap enough. Trying to minimize taxi expenses if possible.
Also, the AM lounges are just the worst, does anyone know if the Chase Sapphire Reserve or Citi Prestige get lounge access (AM lounges are Priority Pass, but no other options in the terminal for that). Wasn't sure if there are any credit card-affiliated lounges that Citi Prestige or CSR can use.
Taxi in Mexico City are super cheap. Uber was $8 USD to historic center area. If no luggage the subway is 5 pesos or so.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
I end up keeping MCO-SCL instead of JFK-SCL so I can have 17 hour layover, just a caveat that cancelling this within 24 hours isn't a straight forward process. You need to call OTA (or AM if purchase directly) so they can contact AM to cancel your reservation, I just got off the phone and completed the cancellation which took almost 45 minutes, this can't be done online nor would AM be able do it directly if you purchase it from OTA like Expedia, cancel right away once decision is made, don't wait until last minute.

p.s. Looks like MCO-SCL is finally gone too, along with SEA-SCL ($1600) and DTW-SCL ($1470)

Last edited by vincewy; Dec 16, 2017 at 8:56 pm
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: Delta DM
Is there a good website to search for AM flights? I've found both their website and Google Flights to be very frustrating when doing so. Thanks in advance.

OPS
Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
CSR won't help you since it only has Priority Pass. There is this post (Citibank Has Their Own Airport Lounges, and Prestige Cardholders Get in Free - View from the Wing) I've seen about the CitiGold lounge that maybe/supposedly can be accessed with the Prestige, and there are 2 or 3 Amex lounges that Platinum card holders can access. I didn't mind the AM lounge last time I was there, since I don't like having to order everything from a server at the Amex lounge.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL GM
Uber was super super cheap. Also AM recently updated one of their lounges although soft experience no doubt will still suck.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Hi all – I'm a United Platinum traveler. I was able to book a ORD - LIM in February and a MCO - SCL in March. To which program would you recommend accruing miles? Delta SkyMiles?

Another piece of the puzzle: I work for a French company and flight once or twice a year BOS - CDG. Would AirFrance FlyBlue would make sense?

Thanks for your help.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by idiosyncrasy
Uber was super super cheap. Also AM recently updated one of their lounges although soft experience no doubt will still suck.
I pass through MEX quite often and have always found the lounges to be super crowded. The food is rarely replenished and quite random (chips/salsa), then ten minutes later soup, then an hour later, salad, then an hour later, sandwiches, then an hour later queso dip. There is no rhyme or reason to what they bring out; wine bottles always sit out empty.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:34 pm

There is also a very cheap and easy express bus from the airport to the city center. They have a dedicated bus lane, so no worries about traffic, unlike in taxis or gypsy cabs (über). It is very easy to spend a few hours or a full day wandering around the city center. Another option during a long layover is a trip to the pyramids.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Looks like ORD-LIM is dead. Showing on Google maps at $1700 now.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
Originally Posted by olouie

If no luggage the subway is 5 pesos or so.
You think somebody with multiple plat statuses would walk 15 min from T2 to Pantitlan and take metro? lol I was the only non-local doing that the whole way, which was rather enjoyable. Leave from arrival level, because there's no sidewalk from departure level.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.