Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] DL: AKL-OAK / USD902 (Business Class)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] DL: AKL-OAK / USD902 (Business Class)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:30 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
If you haven’t already, file the DOT claim right now. Tell the DL person that you have booked connecting flights already, and will wait for DOT to rule on this.

You have your vacation planned, in Business class. For them to decide 2 weeks later that it was a “mistake” is really not your problem.
^ The pendulum swung too far after the Norwegian Kroner UA fare and I have a hunch that the mass cancellations of this fare (+ the other Y fare) that occurred over a week later will have the DOT putting some stronger guidance in place.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by aussielori
Virgin as short changed me $35
amex said to ask them for it.
Has anybody had an exchange rate benefit from an error fare? I think literally every post I've seen has said 'I lost $X on this and had to get it from my credit card company.' Not just here, but on a lot of recent error fares.

Given that exchange rates constantly fluctuate in both directions, this seems a bit strange to me. Makes me wondering if they're really refunding all the money.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by dordal
Has anybody had an exchange rate benefit from an error fare? I think literally every post I've seen has said 'I lost $X on this and had to get it from my credit card company.' Not just here, but on a lot of recent error fares.

Given that exchange rates constantly fluctuate in both directions, this seems a bit strange to me. Makes me wondering if they're really refunding all the money.
Yes, but a small amount (~$4) on the ET BKK-YYZ fare
Old Nov 13, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by dordal

I booked the QR sake fare and by the time I cancelled it 5 months later (due to serious schedule changes) the EUR/USD rate had changed, and I netted about $60 in exchange rate difference.

Only time it's been in my favor. I've either been even or lost other times.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:23 pm

Here is the response from VA following the filing of a complaint.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Unfortunately, due to human error the recent price advertised for a Business Class fare from New Zealand to Oakland was incorrect and we’re unable to honour this ticket in its current form.

Incorrect fare filing does happen in the aviation industry and we have taken the relevant steps to address this issue including demonstrating that the fare was a mistaken fare.

This is in line with the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Enforcement Policy and The Fair Trading Act 2017 (NZ) which extends to overseas businesses that supply services within NZ.

We are truly sorry for any inconvenience and disappointment caused. Please rest assured your feedback has been forwarded to our Revenue Management team for their review.

I can see we’ve sent you an email and sms providing some options. If you still wish to travel, we will move your booking into Economy. If you decide you no longer wish to travel we’re happy to provide a full refund and cancel the booking.

Please follow the instructions in the email or if you’d like further assistance, please call our Guest Contact Centre on 136 789 if calling from Australia or 0800 67 0000 from New Zealand.

We value you as our guest and look forward to welcoming you on board soon.

Kind regards,
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:09 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Originally Posted by pweekes
Here is the response from VA following the filing of a complaint.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

I can see we’ve sent you an email and sms providing some options. If you still wish to travel, we will move your booking into Economy. If you decide you no longer wish to travel we’re happy to provide a full refund and cancel the booking.

Please follow the instructions in the email or if you’d like further assistance, please call our Guest Contact Centre on 136 789 if calling from Australia or 0800 67 0000 from New Zealand.

We value you as our guest and look forward to welcoming you on board soon.

Kind regards,
Virgin Australia and Delta have both offered to fly customers in economy. They baited with an alluring fare and then switched the passenger to a substandard alternative. This tactic is called "Bait and Switch" and under consumer legislation, illegal in both New Zealand and the USA.

The airline can refuse to honour a fare due to human error, but as soon as the airline offers a substandard alternative (Fly you in economy instead), it is no longer an issue of human error (oops = refund), it becomes an issue of "Bait and Switch" (oops = here is a substandard alternative).
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Still have 3 tickets (2 with Expedia, 1 with AMEX)- no emails to me or them. They say bookings intact. VA/DL flights and shows ok on both.

Anyone who has not received an email flown?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:21 pm

Just had a call from Delta and (at least on my ticket) they decided to back down and honour the fare. Not sure what worked in the end (I did submit a DOT complaint), but they did what is right, and I really appreciate it.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
I received notification last night from DOT regarding Bait and Switch complaint. They agreed. This morning Delta called and said they will honour all tickets.

Thanks Delta
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: AC, VA, EY
If Delta is honouring these tickets then surely VA will have to follow right?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by davistev
I received notification last night from DOT regarding Bait and Switch complaint. They agreed. This morning Delta called and said they will honour all tickets.
And this should be how all the ticketing goes, both for DL and VA.

People need to stand up for themselves, and not bend over so easily. Those who meekly just canceled their tickets, or said “Oh well”, are just what the airlines want. Low hanging fruit...
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
Let's hope VA follows suit!
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by davistev

Thanks Delta
Hi Can you show us what did DOT exactly mention.

Thanks.
Sam
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
If VA doesn't follow suit this will be VERY frustrating. I get that DL has MUCH deeper pockets than VA, but where does it end?
earlyriser likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by nichojo
If VA doesn't follow suit this will be VERY frustrating. I get that DL has MUCH deeper pockets than VA, but where does it end?
In my call I said that I appreciated Delta's gesture and the lady calling corrected me and stated "Delta's and VA's gesture", so I assume at least those with DOT complains will get it honored no matter whose the stock the ticket was on.
earlyriser likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.