Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] DL: AKL-OAK / USD902 (Business Class)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] DL: AKL-OAK / USD902 (Business Class)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:58 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
Originally Posted by mikew99
Not that many people who were able to book this will want to cancel , but DOT's 24-hour reservation (cancellation) requriement applies to "each U.S. and foreign air carrier that has a website marketed to U.S. consumers," so the DOT rule applies not only to Delta but to foreign airlines who have U.S.-facing Web sites regardless of the route.
Another data point - a carrier is very likely to never charge a cancellation fee on a fare like this. If the agent argues, just escalate. When they actually look at what was paid for what was purchased they tend to be VERY forgiving .
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:12 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG
Great fare OP thanks for sharing.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA GS, Alaska MVP 50, Marriott 100 night, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Sad I missed this as I was on a flight. But I did book the BA first class Oslo to SFO RT for $2,500 so I was probably tapped out anyway. Great find OP!!
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:02 am

Damn I hate how sleep gets in the way of a good fare :-(
litteraly missed the OP by 30min
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:24 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by xedubx
I got Delta as well since I needed to fly out on Sunday and there was no VA option. Delta's 777 is herringbone seating so I figure it can't be too bad. Of course, VA is definitely the better option if it has the new seats, but I am not sure the flight out of BNE has the new seats?
All VA 77s are upgraded, and very nice — the mattress pad VA adds to the seats adds significantly to the comfort. I’m in Tauranga, NZ now, having flown out from DCA-LAX-BNE-AKL on 10/21, back CHC-SYD-LAX-DCA on 11/22. Spent a lot more....
Wish I had seen this one in time.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
For those booked as DL 006 stock with all DL codeshare does it make sense to credit to Flying Blue? Or will they be revenue based in January? Looks like it could be around 40k if credited to FB, but not sure if they have a caveat to award mikes to DL marketed flights operated by Virgin Australia. Does anyone know?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:50 am

Programs: Show me the points!
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
For those booked as DL 006 stock with all DL codeshare does it make sense to credit to Flying Blue? Or will they be revenue based in January? Looks like it could be around 40k if credited to FB, but not sure if they have a caveat to award mikes to DL marketed flights operated by Virgin Australia. Does anyone know?
wheretocredit.com
Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
As of now, www.wheretocredit.com shows 006 I class earning 150% RDM for base members.

For VA I class, there is no AF/KL earnings shown. It earns 200% RDM on DL for base members.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
You will earn no credit whatsoever in Flying Blue for any flights either marketed by, or operated by, Virgin Australia.

For DL-coded flights to earn in Flying Blue, they must be operated by DL or any other Skyteam member - which Virgin Australia is not.

VA-coded flights do not earn in Flying Blue, regardless of who actually operates them - even if they are operated by Delta.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by irishguy28
You will earn no credit whatsoever in Flying Blue for any flights either marketed by, or operated by, Virgin Australia.

For DL-coded flights to earn in Flying Blue, they must be operated by DL or any other Skyteam member - which Virgin Australia is not.

VA-coded flights do not earn in Flying Blue, regardless of who actually operates them - even if they are operated by Delta.
That's what I was afraid of; so DL coded, VA operated flights get nothing. And I bet hey won't let you earn DL miles in one direction and FB miles in the other. They should let you change it because they restrict earning on some flight data but that would make too much sense.

What program would be best to credit to since DL will yield very few miles. Maybe Alitalia or Virgin Atlantic because it is a transfer partner from credit cards?

Last edited by SkyTeam777; Nov 2, 2017 at 3:50 am
Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
That's what I was afraid of; so DL coded, VA operated flights get nothing. And I bet hey won't let you earn DL miles in one direction and FB miles in the other. They should let you change it because they restrict earning on some flight data but that would make too much sense.

What program would be best to credit to since DL will yield very few miles. Maybe Alitalia or Virgin Atlantic because it is a transfer partner from credit cards?
OK, VS and VA all credit 200% RDM for base members on I.

VS gives 400% on the short F segments.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
OK, VS and VA all credit 200% RDM for base members on I.

VS gives 400% on the short F segments.
Really toying with the idea of canceling the ticket, but if I can find a really good program that has decent redemption rates (and transfer partners), then it may be worth keeping. But, the program would also have to honor DL-marketed, VA-operated flights.

VS seems like the best earning option, but am worried that they won't honor DL-marketed, VA-operated flights.

Last edited by SkyTeam777; Nov 2, 2017 at 4:29 am
Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
And I bet hey won't let you earn DL miles in one direction and FB miles in the other. They should let you change it because they restrict earning on some flight data but that would make too much sense.
There is nothing to stop you changing the frequent flyer number. Before each sector, even.

However, this can be risky and the results can be different than expected. Some numbers are remarkably sticky, and although you get issued with a boarding pass with the changed FFP number, the miles may still magically end up in the previously-listed account. And in some cases, although you waited until after a particular flight to change the number, the fact that the number is changed may grab the miles that should have been earned for that earlier flight and nab them for the "newer" number.

You would be better off putting the frequent flyer number of your "main" or most important programme in the booking; do not touch or change it; complete all flights; wait until all miles for all sectors that can post to that account have actually posted to that account; and only then, do a retro-claim from the "secondary" programme, for those sectors that didn't give you miles in your main programme.

Instead of "maybes", you should really check. However, it is almost always better to stick with existing accounts, than to open new ones. There is little benefit of earning, say, 12,000 miles in programme X where the miles will stay, abandoned, alone and unusable, than instead deciding to put that flying into your existing, usable and useful account where they earn, say, only 5,000 miles. That the miles are in your "main" account makes them far more liquid than the greater amount in a "strange" programme.

[Would you, for instance, prefer to receive 5000 Albanian lek, or 5 US dollars? The former works out as the equivalent of about US$43, but you won't be able to spend or convert that currency easily - so the $5 dollars are actually of far more immediate value to you]

And besides, Alitalia Millemiglia is in a huge state of flux right now, with the current programme about to expire (you may have to kiss those miles away as soon as March, depending on when your flights are) and the longterm prospects of Millemiglia are under a cloud, given that Alitalia is either to be sold or wound up by April of next year.

Last edited by irishguy28; Nov 2, 2017 at 4:49 am
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: Delta DM
This is great, thanks OP!

Asked above by another user, but what's the best way to get across from the east coast using miles/cost efficiency?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
If I understand this correctly:

BNE-LAX-SYD in I on VA credited to DL earns $5860 MQD (14650 *.4)? So almost DL silver in one trip?

Last edited by CDKing; Nov 2, 2017 at 6:53 pm Reason: *looking at RDM column in error

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.