Milage Run Ethics

Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Mileage Run Ethics

Hi All,

I am a travel professional, freelance journalist and blogger and I recently wrote an article about the ethics of milage runs. I wanted to hear from those involved in the practise, to understand if there is a side to the coin that I am missing.

The environmental impact is a huge concern. Do people not think about global warming? Do they deny its existence? Is it not your responsibility? Or are there other reasons that justify miles run practises.

I am very much aware I am in the lions den here but my desire for answers outweighs any criticism that may come my way. No answers will be published, this is solely research.

Any thoughts guys?

Last edited by FCIan; Nov 5, 2017 at 10:19 am
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:25 am

No offence, but it seems you are trying to find a problem where there isn't one.

That plane is going to fly regardless of whether I am on it or not.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Tiresome virtue signalling
LovePrunes, Fabo.sk and AStarr like this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by 1PercentClub
I was going to point out the same, but I suppose the argument can be made that:

a) there is added fuel cost due to the extra weight of your body

b) any disposal from the plane directly related to you

That said, I don't think either are a significant impact on the environment, but I'm sure someone somewhere can do enough math and come up with a large impact figure after considering years worth of this type of activity.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:38 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Mileage runs are typically only done at prices that fill otherwise unsold seats. It would be implausible for mileage runners to drive the creations of new routes, enhanced frequencies, or upgauging. Therefore the impact is limited to the fuel burned by them being on board which is both negligible and mitigated as the mileage runner's seat would likely have been filled by a non-rev or the airline would have flown more cargo.

Also this:

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Tiresome virtue signalling
trooper, dand99 and AStarr like this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: AA EXP
Why not explore the ethics of travel bloggers publishing (and profiting from) fare deals sourced from user posts on FT instead?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: Delta (diamond), Hilton (diamond)
Im currently enjoying lunch over the Lakes now on a mileage run. Allow me to paraphrase a blogger friend of mine:

Ill believe global cooling global warming climate change climate disruption is a crisis when the people who tell me its a crisis start acting like its a crisis.
LovePrunes likes this.

Last edited by TYSDoc; Oct 31, 2017 at 11:55 am Reason: Correcting typo
Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by FCIan
Hi All,

I am a travel professional, freelance journalist and blogger and I recently wrote an article about the ethics of milage runs. I wanted to hear from those involved in the practise, to understand if there is a side to the coin that I am missing.

The environmental impact is a huge concern collectively. To people not believe in global warming? Do they deny its existence? Or are there other reasons that justify miles run practises.

I am very much aware I am in the lions den here but my desire for answers outweighs any criticism that may come my way. No answers will be published, this is solely research.

Here is the article: https://resfebertravelblog.com/2017/...ith-air-miles/

Any thoughts guys?
Perhaps you should do your research before publishing an article?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
Hi All,

The environmental impact is a huge concern collectively. To people not believe in global warming? Do they deny its existence? Or are there other reasons that justify miles run practises.

Here is the article: https://resfebertravelblog.com/2017/...ith-air-miles/

Any thoughts guys?
For the longest time, I've asked some prominent bloggers--such as Ben (aka "Lucky") from ONE MILE AT A TIME--about what he does to offset his carbon footprint when he travels the way that he does. If you're a journalist, I would encourage you to press individuals such as him to talk more about whether they think about the environmental impact of not only air travel but also the hotels that he stays at (e.g., Ritz Carlton vs. local hotel/accommodations).
FCIan likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Gotta love travel bloggers who travel for "free" so they can make a living. Now there is a waste of resources.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
The environmental impact is a huge concern collectively.
Yes, collectively, the environmental impact of frequent flyer runs is absolutely staggering.

However, every mileage run is a particular decision by a particular individual, who is acting in their best interest on that particular day.
I don't expect any passenger to turn down a mileage run offer because of the carbon footprint it represents.
All the passenger is doing is accepting an offer from that airline.

It's [redacted] that mileage runs are as lucrative as they are, but that's just a consequence of what the airlines are willing to offer.
FCIan and Beltway2A like this.

Last edited by Pat89339; Oct 31, 2017 at 1:59 pm Reason: TOS 16 Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: AC 100K, AC 2MM, SAS Diamond, AA P; Avis CM
Any thoughts guys?[/QUOTE]

Well done in identifying a topic that will provide both click-bate while at the same time is inexperienced, uninformed, immature and self-righteous.

Adults--aka those with real life responsibilities such as ensuring other snowflakes or [gasp] AND employees eat--travel for reasons other than hopping from one grubby self-masturbatory third world experience to another.
LovePrunes likes this.

Last edited by Pat89339; Nov 5, 2017 at 6:14 pm Reason: TOS 12
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1PercentClub
No offence, but it seems you are trying to find a problem where there isn't one.

So you don't think an airline would streamline its services if there were less passengers on board their planes?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swingaling
Why not explore the ethics of travel bloggers publishing (and profiting from) fare deals sourced from user posts on FT instead?
That topic is also covered in the same blog post I linked to earlier. But I am here to ask people about miles runs, straight from the horses mouth.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
So you don't think an airline would streamline its services if there were less passengers on board their planes?
First of all:

Define mileage run. If I travel to a new place, like a MRers, and stay for 1 night just to see the new city, does it count? What if I just want to check out the new terminal? Define MR in the first place.

After the definition is made, survey and calculate MRers (as defined) as a percentage of total travel headcounts per year, let me know if that's an alarming number.

Third, what-if analysis. If I met the definition of MR, how likely is the particular airlline sell my seat, had I not MR, to another pax? How about the other airline flying the same route? How many pax gave up travel due to full flights?

Finally, calculate the emission as a result.

I believe in climate change, but if you are researching the topic, maybe some numbers will help?
alanslegal and YuropFlyer like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.