Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] La/++ akl-scl-mad-hnd €570

[FARE GONE] La/++ akl-scl-mad-hnd €570

Old Nov 5, 2017, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by mihaid
I booked myself on the following itinerary: AKL - SCL - LIM (3 nights stopover) - GYE - MAD (3 months stopover) - NRT. All segments operated by LA except for the last one, which is operated by IB. Booked through Expedia for $685, ticketed on 045-stock (LA) within minutes, seats selected for all segments, booking visible on both latam.com and iberia.com. Booking classes: G, X, X, X, X for LA and S for IB. The IB segment will earn me only 50% of the miles flown, but I will be getting 100% for all LA segments. For this price, I can’t complain.
I could have booked a more creative routing (through PPT, IPC, SCL and EZE) for about $300 more but I have been to IPC before (in 2014, thanks to the MEX-IPC fare at the time), the AKL-PPT segment would have been on TN so no useful miles for me and the about 7h overnight layover in EZE would have been awful. Likewise, I could have booked MAD-HEL-NRT (on AY) instead of MAD-NRT nonstop on IB but I am not a huge fan of AY (I do not dislike them as badly as I dislike BA, but still...).
My only discontent is that I could not price the MAD-NRT part of the trip as MAD-FRA-NRT (on LA and JL) but I thought I spent already too much time playng with this itinerary. In the end, I am happy with what I booked.
If you are crediting to QR then it is 50%, only CX and MH take X class on LA as 100%, are you sure your calc is correct? Also I found when transiting through LIM one usually gets X class, direct SCL-MAD gets S though.

another strange discovery is that when I force the Europe-Asia sectors on CX on certain itineraries and dates, it triggers some weird other fare to pop in, and the SCL-MAD-FRA-HKG segments becomes J and price out at a reasonable 2.7k for the entire trip, which I think is a good deal for 27hr of J and 30+hr in Y for a trip around the world. LA J is not creme de la creme, but CX still has quite a lot of redeeming qualities. Strange fares indeed, so strange that I don't even want to question why... here is a link but it appears unbookable. https://goo.gl/flights/Cyqw

Last edited by beyounged; Nov 5, 2017 at 4:32 am
Old Nov 5, 2017, 6:16 am

Location: KUL (MY), ICN (KR), ZRH (CH) or OTP (RO) - or somewhere in between
Programs: OZ, JL
Originally Posted by beyounged
If you are crediting to QR then it is 50%, only CX and MH take X class on LA as 100%, are you sure your calc is correct? Also I found when transiting through LIM one usually gets X class, direct SCL-MAD gets S though.
I am crediting to MH, so yes, it’s 100%.
I am switching from QR to MH; I know the current redemption rates with MH are awful but to me it is mostly about keeping some form of status with oneworld rather than having the best way to redeem oneworld miles.
I don’t fly oneworld much (I am still mainly a *A flyer and will probably remain one) and MH seemed to me like the easiest way to maintain (mid-tier) status with oneworld, while having a meaningful place to park miles from random EK or EY flights. And I was lucky enough to be able to book some EK and EY flights as MH-codeshares (meaning EQM with Enrich/MH) so here I am, currently being oneworld Sapphire with two oneworld programs LOL. My QR Gold status will lapse in August 2018 anyway (having been downgraded in August this year from Platinum), while my MH Gold status is valid until March 2019. And this very fare we are talking about here gets me almost 1/3 of the EQMs needed to requalify for MH Gold/oneworld Sapphire for 2019, for a very good price. In addition, I had Lima on my bucket list for a while. I have been to Peru once (again, thanks to the MEX-IPC fare in 2014) but I only transited Lima as I went straight to CUZ for Macchu Picchu and then from CUZ to IPC via LIM and SCL). With this itinerary I get to spend three days in Lima (I booked that stopever on purpose) so another box ticked for me by this fare.

By the way, how will you position yourself to AKL to start the trip? I booked myself an openjaw on SQ (fare booking class W): IST-SIN-AKL (for the first part of the trip) and NRT-SIN-IST (to come back from NRT on the second part of the trip, three months later).
Old Nov 5, 2017, 6:33 am

I am switching from QR to MH; I know the current redemption rates with MH are awful but to me it is mostly about keeping some form of status with oneworld rather than having the best way to redeem oneworld miles.
I don’t fly oneworld much (I am still mainly a *A flyer and will probably remain one) and MH seemed to me like the easiest way to maintain (mid-tier) status with oneworld, while having a meaningful place to park miles from random EK or EY flights. And I was lucky enough to be able to book some EK and EY flights as MH-codeshares (meaning EQM with Enrich/MH) so here I am, currently being oneworld Sapphire with two oneworld programs LOL. My QR Gold status will lapse in August 2018 anyway (having been downgraded in August this year from Platinum), while my MH Gold status is valid until March 2019. And this very fare we are talking about here gets me almost 1/3 of the EQMs needed to requalify for MH Gold/oneworld Sapphire for 2019, for a very good price. In addition, I had Lima on my bucket list for a while. I have been to Peru once (again, thanks to the MEX-IPC fare in 2014) but I only transited Lima as I went straight to CUZ for Macchu Picchu and then from CUZ to IPC via LIM and SCL). With this itinerary I get to spend three days in Lima (I booked that stopever on purpose) so another box ticked for me by this fare.

By the way, how will you position yourself to AKL to start the trip? I booked myself an openjaw on SQ (fare booking class W): IST-SIN-AKL (for the first part of the trip) and NRT-SIN-IST (to come back from NRT on the second part of the trip, three months later).
ah I see. OW status is not as valuable if you fly QR most of the time since the QR lounge they put you in is a joke... MH has some good partners I have to admit. LIM is awesome, go enjoy a cup of coffee on top of the cliffs for sunsets.

I can get there easier than you do (if you are based in OTP) as from China one way flight to AKL costs 200USD from time to time. For you maybe wait for a QR J/Y sale? you can bank more miles into MH and OTP is known for cheap QR fares. But alas you have booked yours so I wish you a good trip. I am still on the fence about this one actually as I can leave from ICN for similar price but lower cpm and positioning cost, esp. I was on the MEX-IPC deal last month! welp, gotta check bank accounts and struggle some more!
Old Nov 5, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: BD AB CO

For positioning, I've booked SQ Business class to AKL (also from IST) using Krisflyer miles. I haven't booked the return portion from Tokyo yet but it's not until September. I'm thinking of using my stash of EY miles which are going to expire soon. They would get me from ICN to PRG in Czech Airlines Business class. When are you going to be in IST? I can guest you into the TK lounge if you're heading to Singapore on 22 April and don't have * status.

Last edited by andymac66; Nov 5, 2017 at 7:04 am
Old Nov 5, 2017, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by andymac66
For positioning, I've booked SQ Business class to AKL (also from IST) using Krisflyer miles. I haven't booked the return portion from Tokyo yet but it's not until September. I'm thinking of using my stash of EY miles which are going to expire soon. They would get me from ICN to PRG in Czech Airlines Business class. When are you going to be in IST? I can guest you into the TK lounge if you're heading to Singapore on 22 April and don't have * status.
I will be flying out of IST to SIN on June 2. I hold *A status through UA.
I will have about 14h in SIN before flying to AKL, so I will get to enjoy some Katong laksa again :-D
I will reach AKL on June 4 at 10:50 AM and will fly to SCL the next day at 6:00 PM. Have never been to AKL before so I will have to figure out how to best spend my about 30 hours there. Any pointers?
I will get to LIM on June 5 late in the evening and will have there three nights (two full days and one morning) before flying LIM-GYE-MAD on June 8.
My second part of the trip will be purely a MR: leaving MAD on IB on September 7, getting to NRT on September 8 at 9:35 AM and then taking SQ to SIN at 2:45 PM the same day and continuing from SIN to IST.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 7:56 am

ah I see. OW status is not as valuable if you fly QR most of the time since the QR lounge they put you in is a joke... MH has some good partners I have to admit. LIM is awesome, go enjoy a cup of coffee on top of the cliffs for sunsets.
I no longer fly QR all that often (one of the reasons for my decision to switch to MH). In addition, QRPC is very good if one mostly flies in J/C, but so is about any OW FFP. If one flies less in C/J and more in Y, then QRPC is not the best FFP to bank one’s miles (unless the Y flying is mostly on QR metal, which in my case is not).
Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:27 pm

I will be flying out of IST to SIN on June 2. I hold *A status through UA.
I will have about 14h in SIN before flying to AKL, so I will get to enjoy some Katong laksa again :-D
I will reach AKL on June 4 at 10:50 AM and will fly to SCL the next day at 6:00 PM. Have never been to AKL before so I will have to figure out how to best spend my about 30 hours there. Any pointers?
I will get to LIM on June 5 late in the evening and will have there three nights (two full days and one morning) before flying LIM-GYE-MAD on June 8.
My second part of the trip will be purely a MR: leaving MAD on IB on September 7, getting to NRT on September 8 at 9:35 AM and then taking SQ to SIN at 2:45 PM the same day and continuing from SIN to IST.
I was in Auckland in May this year, I'd recommend climbing Mount Eden. It's an easy climb with great views of the city and the crater (it's an extinct volcano) from the top. Devonport makes for a great boat trip on the ferry across the harbour. There are great views of the Auckland skyline, pleasant walks, shops and a naval museum.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 3:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
By trying with various Momondo sites (different countries seemed to give me slightly different variations), managed to book ICN-LHR-MAD-LIM-SCL-AKL-SYD-TYO and SYD-AKL-SCL-GYE-UIO-LIM-MAD-LHR-SIN-TYO all on OW carriers. Had to play around with dates quite a bit though to get the pricing I wanted and to make sure the LIM-MAD sectors weren't on IB metal so it would credit to AS.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by wuileng
By trying with various Momondo sites (different countries seemed to give me slightly different variations), managed to book ICN-LHR-MAD-LIM-SCL-AKL-SYD-TYO and SYD-AKL-SCL-GYE-UIO-LIM-MAD-LHR-SIN-TYO all on OW carriers. Had to play around with dates quite a bit though to get the pricing I wanted and to make sure the LIM-MAD sectors weren't on IB metal so it would credit to AS.
may I ask how much you paid for each? and are you stopping anywhere? If you do these two back to back with no syopovers then I salute you. Also, what fare class did it book into? anything passing through LHR or LIM gave me unfavorable fare classes...
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:22 am

may I ask how much you paid for each? and are you stopping anywhere? If you do these two back to back with no syopovers then I salute you. Also, what fare class did it book into? anything passing through LHR or LIM gave me unfavorable fare classes...
Cost about $720 for the first and $820 for the second.

All N up to SCL on the first itin, then V onwards. So 50% on ICN-LHR (BA), nothing on LHR-MAD (IB) and 100% on the rest of it (LA/QF). Stopping in SCL.

For the second, G for the first leg then V onwards. So 50% on the last leg (JL), nothing on MAD-LHR (IB) and 100% on the rest of it (LA/QF). Stopping in LIM, UIO and a 20+ hr stop in MAD.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by wuileng
​​​​The second itinerary is interesting. Would you mind sharing a link to it?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Waiheke Island is an interesting diversion from Auckland city, reachable by ferry (about 40 minutes ride) and riddled with good vineyards to visit. Be aware of the ferry schedules which IIRC are certainly not 24/7 or even close to it.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS MVPG, WN CP
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Waiheke Island is an interesting diversion from Auckland city, reachable by ferry (about 40 minutes ride) and riddled with good vineyards to visit. Be aware of the ferry schedules which IIRC are certainly not 24/7 or even close to it.
Definitely recommend Waiheke as well. But I would be on the first available ferry over there in the morning and then leave with lots of time to spare. You could drop your bags and head straight over after landing the first day, but in June you wouldn't have all that much daylight to work with by the time you got over there - probably around 2:00 and sunset around 5:00. Waiheke requires more than a few hours IMO.

Much will depend on the weather on the day you are visiting, but if you decide to stay closer to the city center, there are some great parks around the city like Mount Eden as mentioned above, as well as Cornwall. Awesome city to have a long layover though, plenty of things to do without going far at all.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by andymac66
​​​​The second itinerary is interesting. Would you mind sharing a link to it?
Something along the lines of this, play with the dates a bit and price will go up or down a little (though I think this is almost as low as it gets). Dates will also modify routing a little (e.g. sometimes you can go directly from SCL to UIO instead of via GYE).

Should book into GVVVVVVV but YMMV. FlightNetwork offers a one day cancellation for $20 or so I think in case you want to be sure.

https://www.momondo.com.au/flightsea...e&currency=USD
Attached Images  
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:03 am

if I can get the origin into Southeast Asian city it'd be interesting. but with what I tried so far only North/East Asia and Australia/NZ origin worked...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.